Another name generator

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI

I just found this site: http://www.babynology.com/
It's the best I've seen for foreign names. It lists nationalities and cultures I haven't seen anywhere else. I found Punjabi, Pashtun, Afghan, and many others, that have eluded me till now.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, RJK, that's a good one. Have it bookmarked.

Main character names isn't usually a problem for me, but if my MC takes off to another country and meets locals (who will remain minor characters) it's good to know the name I use is apt.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the bit on bad baby names, although I would kill to be called Hysteria Jonson or Infinity Hubbard.

Although it is worrying that at least one person has seriously considered naming their child Mictlantecahuatl, which, beyond being a mouthful means 'Queen of the land of the dead'. It makes Moon Unit seem a lot more sensible.

Sofie

Registered
Reaction score
It's good for ideas, but I'd be wary of relying on it completely. Looking at just the first page of the Scandinavian section, at least half the names listed are complete nonsense, some are surnames only, and of the remaining names, some have very specific connotations.

Other nationalities might have better lists, but as for the Scandinavian ones, I'd recommend researching any of the names there (if you like them and want to use them) a bit further. Personally, if I ever read a book which featured a Swedish character with a name like Andersson, Nada or Lynae, I'd laugh and put the book down.

(Thanks for the link though, I'm a huge name nerd and really love sites like that)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
It's good for ideas, but I'd be wary of relying on it completely. Looking at just the first page of the Scandinavian section, at least half the names listed are complete nonsense, some are surnames only, and of the remaining names, some have very specific connotations.

Other nationalities might have better lists, but as for the Scandinavian ones, I'd recommend researching any of the names there (if you like them and want to use them) a bit further. Personally, if I ever read a book which featured a Swedish character with a name like Andersson, Nada or Lynae, I'd laugh and put the book down.

(Thanks for the link though, I'm a huge name nerd and really love sites like that)

If you want Scandinavian names, just look in the Minneapolis phone book.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful link.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Looking at just the first page of the Scandinavian section, at least half the names listed are complete nonsense, some are surnames only, and of the remaining names, some have very specific connotations.

Ditto for Russian. A good half of all Russian "names" listed there are utter nonsense. They're either badly misspelled or just non-existent, completely alien. The people who compiled those lists are entirely clueless.

PS. OMYGOD, I decided to check their French names, just out of curiosity (I live in France) and they're even worse than Russian!!! They're a nightmare! Blacklist this ****!!!

Last edited:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I've contacted the site, asking them to explain your findings, and tell us their sources for the names.