PDA

View Full Version : Query, proposal and synopsis letters

Deep Woods Writer
09-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Can someone please the differences. I am at the 1/2 point of my book, so I figure it's about time to start getting ready for the 'big plunge'.

But everything I am reading is just a big jumble of crap. I have yet to see a simple, definitive layout or working explanation for each of the 3 items. Please, anyone, can anyone send me a link or a definition of these 3 ?

Many thanks in advance

Mike ; retired04497@gmail.com

Vostro
09-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Can someone please the differences. I am at the 1/2 point of my book, so I figure it's about time to start getting ready for the 'big plunge'.

But everything I am reading is just a big jumble of crap. I have yet to see a simple, definitive layout or working explanation for each of the 3 items. Please, anyone, can anyone send me a link or a definition of these 3 ?

Many thanks in advance

Mike ; retired04497@gmail.com

"Query" -- Mike, Google "literary agent blog." This will get you to agent web pages; explore; there's a lot on what they're looking for in a query. Different agents want different info in queries.

"Proposal" -- read Elizabeth Lyon's "Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write."

"Synopsis" -- Google it and get "Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents, 2009."

There's no single, simple, one-size-fits-all answer. Mix agent personalities in--some appear to be certifiable--and it gets even more complicated.

Kathleen42
09-05-2009, 01:46 AM
A proposal is for nonfiction. You do not need to worry about it if you are writing a novel.

A query letter is a short, one-page letter with a simple overview of your book. You send this letter to agents.It's like the cover letter you include with your resume when job hunting. Nathan Bransford has some good info on what a query letter is (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2008/03/query-letter-mad-lib.html) along with samples (http://blog.nathanbransford.com/search/label/Anatomy%20of%20a%20Good%20Query%20Letter). The job of the query is to entice an agent to read any sample pags you've sent or to ask for a look at your manuscript.

A synopsis is a summary of all the major characters and major plot points (including the ending) of your book. Different agents and writers will quote different lengths. I aim for two pages.