PDA

View Full Version : Florida Attorney General Files Suit Against Robert Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency

victoriastrauss
09-04-2009, 12:14 AM
More at Writer Beware's blog (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html).

- Victoria

Richard White
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Huzzah!

Only the first step, but man, what a step to finally take.

rejectME
09-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Is the A.G. trying to get class action certification? If appears that this is the first step into something much larger, but I'm actually quite surprised than criminal charges weren't filed first.

mscelina
09-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Thank dog.

CaoPaux
09-04-2009, 04:28 AM
:hooray::banana::Jump::Clap::e2woo::e2headban

JulieB
09-04-2009, 04:33 AM
As my kid would say: "EEEEEEE!!!!!"

DaveKuzminski
09-04-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm looking forward to a similar post in the subboard above.

Marian Perera
09-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Just read the news in Publishers Lunch. Very pleased. :)

victoriastrauss
09-05-2009, 05:01 AM
I don't get the Deluxe version of Publishers Lunch (too cheap to pay for membership), so I didn't see the article. Would you be kind enough to email me a copy? Thanks a million!

beware@sfwa.org

- Victoria

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 02:22 AM
http://www.aegpublishinggroup.com/positives.html (http://www.aegpublishinggroup.com/positives.html)

:)

Cyia
09-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Who left the troll door open?

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Huh?

Duncan J Macdonald
09-11-2009, 03:13 AM
The troll door -- it's the one under the bridge to the left.

The thing with those testimonials? There's not enough data in them for independent verification. Hence, considering the source, they are suspect.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 03:26 AM
The thing about this "lawsuit" is that these 175 authors make up less than 1% of the authors who's works are being published by AEG. Most of these 175 authors’ works were either really awful, full of grammatical errors, or they did nothing to MARKET their material and wanted AEG to do it for them. NO publishing company markets the author’s material, the publishing company only PUBLISHES it...it is the author’s job to market their material if they want to make sales. Some books are so awful but the author whole-heartedly believes their material will sell, and they have no idea about anything to do with writing. NO publishing company will say that they will market the author’s materials.

I have worked with this company and judging by the claims of these 175 authors, they did not read their contracts very well. Everything that they are claiming is stated in the contracts when the authors sign them...

...ask me more if you are interested in getting an inside look, from someone who has actually worked with AEG and has worked with a lot of these illiterate authors.

AC Crispin
09-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Why would any legitimate publishing company contract to publish "illiterate" authors?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me.

-Ann C. Crispin

Parametric
09-11-2009, 03:33 AM
...ask me more if you are interested in getting an inside look, from someone who has actually worked with AEG and has worked with a lot of these illiterate authors.

Given that it's been proved in court that Fletcher is a fraudster whose fee-charging literary enterprises are frauds, I can't imagine why anybody would listen to his shills.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Aren't "illiterate" and "author" sort of mutually exclusive? Even if there are grammatical atrocities on every page, if it's written in English (or the writer's native language) the writer is - by definition - literate.

Try again.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Given that it's been proved in court that Fletcher is a fraudster whose fee-charging literary enterprises are frauds, I can't imagine why anybody would listen to his shills.

Proved? oh...you must mean proven. This is one example of what I mean by "illiterate authors".

Can you please explain to ME how his work is fraud? If the authors read their contracts (which they obviously don't) they will find that there is NO fraud involved. All of you who have not had a book published with this company are only going on word of mouth of the less than 1% of authors who ARE the people either looking for a lawsuit, horrible writers, or want all the marketing services for free...

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Another thing...
When has it been "proved", as you say, in court that Robert Fletcher is a "fraudster"? I know for a fact that you are wrong, my friend. This is the first lawsuit he has had against him regarding this...

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 03:52 AM
All of you who have not had a book published with this company are only going on word of mouth of the less than 1% of authors

Actually, I'm not. I looked at Strategic Book Publishing's website, which was enough to show me it was a vanity press, and not an honest one.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 03:55 AM
:ROFL:
Someone needs to buy a dictionary. FYI, since you can't seem to lock down the concept:

prove
One entry found.

* Main Entry: prove
* Pronunciation: \ˈprüv\
* Function: verb
* Inflected Form(s): proved; proved or prov·en \ˈprü-vən, British also ˈprō-\; prov·ing \ˈprü-viŋ\

Either is correct - proved, or proven... unless Mr. Webster is also an illiterate author :rolleyes:

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Why would any legitimate publishing company contract to publish "illiterate" authors?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance for explaining this to me.

-Ann C. Crispin

When I worked with the company, we tried to give EVERY author the benefit of the doubt. Imagine (if YOU are an author) how many times your book has been shot down by many different publishers... We would want to give you at least somewhat of a chance of being an author. Some books were so horrendous that we did not, in fact, contract them. there are still some though that were still pretty bad, that we gave a chance.
It was not our fault if the author couldn't sell the book... we made no gaurantee at all to sell ANY of their books, only to publish.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Actually, I'm not. I looked at Strategic Book Publishing's website, which was enough to show me it was a vanity press, and not an honest one.

So, just by looking at a website, you "KNEW" that the company was NOT an honest publisher? How is this? Were you at all in conversation with ANYONE with the company? or did you just look at the site and decide it was not a legitimate publisher? LOL

pretty dumb way to go about it if you ask me.

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 04:00 AM
So, just by looking at a website, you "KNEW" that the company was NOT an honest publisher? How is this?

The fees it charged.

Were you at all in conversation with ANYONE with the company?

I am now.

pretty dumb way to go about it if you ask me.

I wasn't asking you.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Someone needs to buy a dictionary. FYI, since you can't seem to lock down the concept:

Either is correct - proved, or proven... unless Mr. Webster is also an illiterate author :rolleyes:

LOL sir. It depends on the way you use it.

for example, I would say proved if I were saying to someone that "I PROVED you wrong."

If you want to use it in the context that this other dude did, it would be "it has been PROVEN..."

:)

Cyia
09-11-2009, 04:01 AM
By requiring quotas, a certain number of sales (usually to the author) is guaranteed - for the benefit of the company and not the author.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
LOL sir. It depends on the way you use it.

Apparently, someone also needs an anatomy diagram or two.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:03 AM
The fees it charged.

I am now.

I wasn't asking you.

Good thing you caught that and changed it. It's fees, not fess. LOL
you don't have to be asking me, i am here to put in my 2 and a half cents like the rest of you.

Gravity
09-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Popcorn, anyone? :::settles back in the La-Z-Boy, looks around::: It's real butter...

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Apparently, someone also needs an anatomy diagram or two.

You must be a woman then?... look more like a dog to me.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:09 AM
By requiring quotas, a certain number of sales (usually to the author) is guaranteed - for the benefit of the company and not the author.

Yes, this is something that is outlined in the contract. If the author beleives their material will sell, then they should have no problem agreeing to this on their contract... right?

Either way, my point is that most of these "authors" wanted something for nothing. The published only publishes and does not market, although I do hear now that they have a great marketing campaign going on, which is something they started when a few authors said they want AEG to do the marketing. That is why they charge now for marketing services, because it is not something that the publisher usually does, but something that the author has to take care of.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:12 AM
But no, it is not the PUBLISHER who guarantees the sales, it is the authors. If they dont make the sales that they guarantee, then that is something THEY have to deal with... get me?

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 04:15 AM
The thing about this "lawsuit" is that these 175 authors make up less than 1% of the authors who's works are being published by AEG.

Hi there, chump!

Just to get started, those "175 authors" aren't suing Bouncing Bobby. It's the State of Florida that's suing him.

More on the rest of your twaddle later. Goodness gracious, I haven't had a chance to do a good line-by-line in ages!

Oh, and if you see Bobby, ask him when he's going to be ready to do that interview. I have tons of questions for him!

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 04:17 AM
Just to get started, those "175 authors" aren't suing Bouncing Bobby. It's the State of Florida that's suing him.

Perhaps the vanity press gave the State of Florida the benefit of the doubt and decided to publish the State of Florida's "horrendous" book as a favor...

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Hi there, chump!

More on the rest of your twaddle later. Goodness gracious, I haven't had a chance to do a good line-by-line in ages!

Oh, and if you see Bobby, ask him when he's going to be ready to do that interview. I have tons of questions for him!

I didn't say that these 175 authors were suing him. It is Attorny General of Florida that is suing him, but the reason is only because once they receive so many complaints, they HAVE to do something. But seriously, we can debate all day long, but in the end, it will not be the Attorny General who wins, It will be Robert who wins. As i have said, the company has done nothing wrong and everything that these 175 authors have complained about it clearly outlined in the contract. I guess i would know more because I have worked with the company and i am really curious to know how many of you people have actually been PUBLISHED by AEG/ Strategic and had a bad experience. Otherwise, like I said, you all have preconcieved notions because of sites like this, and are clearly unable to make your own decisions... :/

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
i am really curious to know how many of you people have actually been PUBLISHED by AEG/ Strategic and had a bad experience.

You don't need to have been bitten by a dog to know that that isn't a pleasant experience.

Otherwise, like I said, you all have preconcieved notions because of sites like this, and are clearly unable to make your own decisions... :/

Nope. As I said, I didn't have any preconceived notions until I looked at the website, at which point I saw that Strategic is a dishonest vanity press.

And then I blogged about it (http://marianperera.blogspot.com/2009/08/strategic-book-publishing.html).

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:35 AM
You don't need to have been bitten by a dog to know that that isn't a pleasant experience.

Nope. As I said, I didn't have any preconceived notions until I looked at the website, at which point I saw that Strategic is a dishonest vanity press.

And then I blogged about it (http://marianperera.blogspot.com/2009/08/strategic-book-publishing.html).

I have read your blog and it is completely clear that you did not have any contact with anyone from AEG/ Strategic and do not know what you are talking about. Sorry. :/

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 04:40 AM
It's also completely clear that you can't refute anything I've said. Not sorry at all. :D

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Publishers do market their authors. It's how they make their money to publish more authors. They either have inhouse sales teams or use the sales team of a distributor.

Authors assist in promotion. They do not market.

Any publisher who relies on their authors to do marketing is a 'publisher' incapable of selling books to the buying public.

Epic fail, my friend. Try again.

By the way, you might want to take a look at this (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html) and at this (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/08/victoria-strauss-robert-fletchers.html).

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:44 AM
It's also completely clear that you can't refute anything I've said. Not sorry at all. :D

Actually yes I can and I will. I am off to a poker game right now though, and unlike you people, I dont sit in front of my computer all day waiting for a response to my post on a blog. have a good night, I look forward to discussing/ arguing about this tomorrow or the next day. In the meantime, leave your feedback and i will address it in the next day or so. :)
Good day.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Who thinks this is a flounce, raise your hand :)

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Publishers do market their authors. It's how they make their money to publish more authors. They either have inhouse sales teams or use the sales team of a distributor.

Authors assist in promotion. They do not market.

Any publisher who relies on their authors to do marketing is a 'publisher' incapable of selling books to the buying public.

Epic fail, my friend. Try again.

By the way, you might want to take a look at this (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html) and at this (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/08/victoria-strauss-robert-fletchers.html).

yes, thanks. I have read both of these before. I will respond more shortly.

Marian Perera
09-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Actually yes I can and I will.

I'll believe that when I see it. Until then, it's as hollow a boast as any claim of Strategic's.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 05:04 AM
I guess rebuttals weren't in his script.

rejectME
09-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Proved? oh...you must mean proven. This is one example of what I mean by "illiterate authors".

I love that you're critiquing grammar. Have you read your own posts in this thread or even that sentence? I only ask because one would think that if you were going to take a shot at someone's use of grammar, you would make damned sure that your posts weren't riddled with grammatical errors.

Oh, and when making a point of persuasion, the frequent use of "LOL" isn't the best device. Just sayin'!

victoriastrauss
09-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Just a note about those 175 complaints...they don't represent all the complaints out there, just the authors who directly contacted the Florida AG since the investigation was opened last year.

Writer Beware has been collecting information on the company since 2001, when it was called Sydra-Techniques and was just a fee-charging literary agency. We have hundreds of complaints in our files.

- Victoria

Gillhoughly
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
i am really curious to know how many of you people have actually been PUBLISHED by AEG/ Strategic and had a bad experience.

Probably none.

Several of the people you've been rude to are professionally published writers and editors, and the rest are too well-informed to send their work to a known vanity press with a bad reputation.

I'm waiting for the troll remover to go to work, but perhaps this so aptly-named entity is just too entertaining for some.

http://getgood.typepad.com/getgood_strategic_marketi/no_trolls.jpg

DreamWeaver
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, one must admit, the name is perfect.

"...a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." ~Shakespeare

Izz
09-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Let the good times troll.

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.aegpublishinggroup.com/positives.html

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's easy to get glowing testimonials from honeymooners. You think that's something? You should see the testimonials PublishAmerica has posted on their website!

It's possible to locate some of those folks whose books have been out for a while, and let me tell you, the sales numbers aren't pretty. I wonder what the ones whose books have been out for a year say about Strategic/Eloquent Books now?

You know something? With that lawsuit in Florida some of them may get a chance to testify! Wouldn't that be special?

Huh?

She was calling you a troll. It isn't that hard to figure out.

The thing about this "lawsuit" is

that these 175 authors make up less than 1% of the authors

who's [sic] works are being published by AEG.

So? What's an acceptable level of fraud, according to you? Wouldn't even one author being defrauded be one too many? By the way, no need for quote marks around "lawsuit." It isn't a "lawsuit," it's a lawsuit.

Most of these 175

authors’ works were either really awful, full of grammatical

errors, or they did nothing to MARKET their material and wanted

AEG to do it for them.So why did AEG undertake to publish awful books filled with grammatical errors? Weren't they worried that they'd get a reputation for publishing awful books? And where were AEG's editors? Shouldn't they have fixed the grammatical errors?

Before you dig yourself in too far, remember that marketing books is what publishers do. It's part of the job description. If AEG wasn't marketing the works, why did the authors need them at all?

Do you suppose you could provide a list of all the AEG authors who've written awful books? What percent of the thousand-plus authors do you claim are functionally illiterate?

I really love the open contempt that you have for your own authors.

NO publishing company markets the

author’s material, This is an open, bald-faced lie.

the publishing company only PUBLISHES

it...What do you think that publishing is all about, sport? It isn't just printing.

it is the author’s job to market their material if they

want to make sales.This is nonsense. It's the publisher's job to market if they want to stay in business.

Some books are so awful but the author

whole-heartedly believes their material will sell, and they

have no idea about anything to do with writing.Tell me, chum, is English your native language?

NO publishing

company will say that they will market the author’s materials.This is a blatant lie. Either that or evidence of complete ignorance of publishing. Which is it, chump? Are you a liar or a fool?

I have worked with this company and judging by the claims of

these 175 authors, they did not read their contracts very well. What's your real name, what was your position in the company, what were your dates of employment, and where do you live?

That "they did not read their contracts" excuse won't wash. Where in the contract does it say, "I agree that you will defraud me"?

Let me quote from the lawsuit (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf):
The contracts between the aspiring author and publisher
(FLETCHER’S company) bound the author to pay the publisher
(STRATEGIC) if less than 300 books were sold, directly
contradicting the Strategic Books website, strategicbooks.com. A
true and accurate copy of the Strategic Books website is
attached hereto as Exhibit B. Since none of the books printed
were actually advertised, other than what the author could do
alone, the reality was that the whole publishing business was
designed to earn money for FLETCHER’s businesses from the
aspiring authors’ payments, with little, or no money ever
anticipated to be earned by the author from the publishing of
the author’s work.That's just one paragraph. I invite your attention to the entire text. I particularly invite your attention to the fact that it isn't just the publishing branch of Fletcher's multi-armed scam that's being addressed. It's also his fake literary agency.

Everything that they are claiming is stated in the contracts

when the authors sign them...The Florida Attorney General believes otherwise.

...ask me more if you are interested in getting an inside look,

from someone who has actually worked with AEG and has worked

with a lot of these illiterate authors.What is/was your job description with AEG?

Does Fletcher know that you are posting here?

Are you prepared to testify at Fletcher's trial?

Would you please post the full text of a standard AEG publishing contract?

And, again, would you provide a complete list of the authors that you believe are illiterate? Please including some reason, however far-fetched, why any legitimate publisher would knowingly publish the work of anyone they considered to be illiterate.

Proved? oh...you must mean proven.

"Proved" is completely acceptable.

This is one example of what I mean by "illiterate authors".Okay. I guess that means that your own posts are fair game.

Can you please explain to ME how his work is fraud?
"Basically, Fletcher and LAG were running a fraud by charging fees for all services while falsely giving hope to the authors that Fletcher and LAG would find a publisher for their book."Thomas E. Connolly (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/fletcher%20decision_20090811100047.pdf)
Justice of the Superior Court
Date: July 31, 2009

If the

authors read their contracts (which they obviously don't) they

will find that there is NO fraud involved. The Florida Attorney General (http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/0CA04161DA4BE29C8525762600550D21) disagrees:
"Allegedly, Fletcher also told potential writers that fees were paid from book sales when in fact all costs of publishing were paid by the authors. According to the lawsuit, few books were ever sold as a result of the efforts of Fletcher’s companies."
All of you who have

not had a book published with this company are only going on

word of mouth of the less than 1% of authors who ARE the people

either looking for a lawsuit, horrible writers, or want all the

marketing services for free...This last little excuse of yours is so pathetic. How does being a "horrible" writer make it right to defraud that writer? Yes, writers should expect to get all marketing services for free. More than that, writers should expect to be well paid for their manuscripts, and get the marketing for free. Publishers pay writers, not the other way around.

No, I don't have to be published by AEG to know that they're a fraud. Not to be mean about it, but I've probably sold more books than all of AEG's authors put together.

Another thing...
When has it been "proved", as you say, in court that Robert

Fletcher is a "fraudster"? I know for a fact that you are

wrong, my friend. This is the first lawsuit he has had against

him regarding this...

Nice attempt at weaseling. This particular lawsuit was served against Fletcher on September 2nd. But it isn't the first time Fletcher's had a court of law discuss his ... proclivities. Let's see:

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Suffolk, SS.
Superior Court
Civil Action
No. 08-0272F (http://www.sfwa.org/beware/fletcher%20decision_20090811100047.pdf)
"LAG and Fletcher would require fee charges for literary agency services, fee based publishing and fee based critique and editing referrals. Over time, Fletcher used over ten names for publishing operations under the umbrella of the AEG Publishing Group. Basically, Fletcher and LAG were running a fraud by charging fees for all services while falsely giving hope to the authors that Fletcher and LAG would find a publisher for their book."Did you like that? How about this one? (http://www.dfi.wa.gov/sd/orders/SDO-063-01.pdf)
The
Order alleged that Respondent Fletcher, as President of ByteAudio.com, Inc., violated the Washington
Securities Act by offering and selling unregistered securities, acting as an unregistered broker-dealer and/or
salesperson, and making material misrepresentations and/or omissions.
It is further ORDERED that, pursuant to RCW 21.20.395, Respondent is liable for, and shall pay, within
30 days of the entry of this Order, a fine in the amount of $50,000."
When I worked with the company, we

tried to give EVERY author the benefit of the doubt.

When exactly did you "work with the company"? In what capacity? What do you mean by "benefit of the doubt"?

Imagine

(if YOU are an author) how many times your book has been shot

down by many different publishers... We would want to give you

at least somewhat [sic] of a chance of being an author.They're already authors. It would have been cheaper, more effective, and closer to true publication, for those authors to go to Kinko's and run off a few copies of their books.

Some books

were so horrendous that we did not, in fact, contract them. Or, the authors weren't willing to write a check. That's closer to the truth, isn't it?

there [sic] are still some though that were still pretty bad, that we

gave a chance.What do you mean "gave a chance"? You mean "cashed their check," don't you?

It was not our fault if the author couldn't sell the book... we

made no gaurantee [sic] at all to sell ANY of their books, only to

publish.And the poor innocent naive newbies went for it. It is entirely your fault that you didn't sell any books. It is, in fact, fraud.

So, just by looking at a website,

you "KNEW" that the company was NOT an honest publisher? How is

this?

Through long experience with publishing. That's something that you, apparently, lack.

Were you at all in conversation with ANYONE with the

company? or [sic] did you just look at the site and decide it was not

a legitimate publisher? LOLI've been reading Fletcher's nonsense for years. I've been responding to it for years. Fletcher (using one of his pseudonyms) even wrote directly to me. (Don't worry -- a copy of that correspondence is already in the hands of the Florida Attorney General.)

pretty [sic] dumb way to go about it if you ask me.I didn't ask you. But if someone's dumb around here, it's you, pal. Fletcher's going down. Think long and hard before you nail your flag to his mast.

LOL sir. It depends on the way you

use it.

for [sic] example, I would say proved [sic] if I were saying to someone

that "I PROVED you wrong."

If you want to use it in the context that this other dude did,

it would be "it has been PROVEN..."

You are, simply, wrong. Please tell me you weren't one of Fletcher's stooges who were pretending to be editors.

Good thing you caught that and

changed it. It's fees, not fess. LOL

You are in no position to make any sort of comments on anyone's grammar or spelling. Not with the miserable job you're doing here.

you [sic] don't have to be asking me, i [sic] am here to put in my 2 and a

half cents like the rest of you.
You must be a woman then?... look [sic]

more like a dog to me.

Yes, this is something that is

outlined in the contract. If the author beleives [sic] their material

will sell, then they should have no problem agreeing to this on

their contract... right?

Wrong.
"The contracts between the aspiring author and publisher
(FLETCHER’S company) bound the author to pay the publisher
(STRATEGIC) if less than 300 books were sold, directly
contradicting the Strategic Books website, strategicbooks.com."And the current lawsuit doesn't just cover Fletcher's current vanity presses. It goes back to Fletcher's fraudulent literary agencies.

Either way, my point is that most of these "authors" wanted

something for nothing. No. As I've explained to Fletcher and his pseudonyms many times before, authors don't want "something for nothing." Authors provide publishable manuscripts. A manuscript isn't "nothing." It's up to the publisher to pay the author, and provide all publishing services to the author. Authors do not pay to be published.

The published [sic] only publishes and does

not market,You apparently have no idea what publishing is all about.

although I do hear now that they have a great

marketing campaign going on,I hear that the "marketing campaign" is also a fraud. It is certainly ineffective.
"The sole focus of the DEFENDANTS’ business efforts has
been to obtain funds from inexperienced, aspiring authors,
taking advantage of their intense desire to have their
manuscripts accepted and published, as well as their naïve
approach to the publishing world, unaware that there are NO
costs, expenses, or fees, charged by legitimate literary
agencies and publishers. These inexperienced consumers, along
with the misleading internet advertising of no “upfront
expenses”, has provided DEFENDANTS with a substantial, and
continually increasing, source of income. Once the aspiring
author is “hooked” by the false assurances and encouragement of
the DEFENDANTS, followed by constant demands of just one more
expense to assure publication, these consumers have been easy
targets for the DEFENDANTS."
which is something they started

when a few authors said they want AEG to do the marketing. That

is why they charge now for marketing services, because it is

not something that the publisher usually does, but something

that the author has to take care of.On the contrary, marketing is something that all legitimate publishers do, at no expense to the author, in the course of their business.

But no, it is not the PUBLISHER

who guarantees the sales, it is the authors.

But no, it is the publisher's job to sell the books.

If they dont [sic] make

the sales that they guarantee, then that is something THEY have

to deal with... get me?That is part of the "unfair and deceptive trade practices" that Fletcher has been charged with. Get me?

I didn't say that these 175

authors were suing him.

While it is difficult to tell, given your problems with writing clear English, exactly what you intended to say, that is certainly what you said.

It is Attorny [sic] General of Florida that

is suing him, but the reason is only because once they receive

so many complaints, they HAVE to do something. That's a weak excuse. The Attorney General would only sue if he thought that a crime had been committed, and that he could prove it in open court.

But seriously,

we can debate all day long, but in the end, it will not be the

Attorny [sic] General who wins, It [sic] will be Robert who wins. Want to put a small bet on that? Robert has had lousy luck in court so far, and given that Bobby's been committing fraud for years now the Attorney General isn't going to have too hard a time proving it.

As i [sic] have

said, the company has done nothing wrong and everything that

these 175 authors have complained about it clearly outlined in

the contract.It isn't just 175 authors, and it isn't just the vanity press. And since when was committing fraud doing "nothing wrong"?

I guess i [sic] would know more because I have worked

with the company and i [sic] am really curious to know how many of

you people have actually been PUBLISHED by AEG/ Strategic and

had a bad experience.I don't need to eat shit to know that I wouldn't like the taste.

Given that you "know more" let me ask you: Are you ready to call up the Florida Attorney General and offer to be a witness for the defense?

Otherwise, like I said, you all have

preconcieved [sic] notions because of sites like this, and are

clearly unable to make your own decisions... :/You're saying that I haven't made my own decision? Are you serious? Are you really saying that I can't recognize a fraudulent literary agency or a vanity press without first being defrauded by them?

I have read your blog and it is

completely clear that you did not have any contact with anyone

from AEG/ Strategic and do not know what you are talking about.

Sorry. :/

On the contrary, I'd say that it's clear that she knows exactly what she's talking about.

Actually yes I can and I will.

Go for it! (Oh, this should be good!)

I

am off to a poker game right now though, and unlike you people,

I dont [sic] sit in front of my computer all day waiting for a

response to my post on a blog.Another of the standard lines from fraudsters.

have [sic] a good night, I look

forward to discussing/ arguing about this tomorrow or the next

day. In the meantime, leave your feedback and i [sic] will address it

in the next day or so.I'll believe that when I see it.

Good day. Good day to you, too!

yes, [sic] thanks. I have read both of

these before. I will respond more shortly.

What happened? Poker game get canceled?

Another pack of lies from another of Fletcher's anonymous defenders. It's getting old. But we won't have to put up with it forever: The Florida Attorney General is asking that Fletcher be banned from ever running another literary enterprise, or ever again doing business on the Internet.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
ahahahahahahahahahahaha......omg. ok. I'm just playing devils advocate. i HAVE worked for his company before and I think that unless you know what your talking about, which it seems all of you do not, then you shouldnt be talking. how many books have YOU sold? I guarantee I have sold more of MY books with Mr. Bobby than you ever have with ANY publisher. Since we know that my grammar is not always acurate, and I obviously have not been an editor, lets forget the spelling errors. forget about that. I apologize If i have offended anyone by pointing out spelling errors, because as you can tell, I have a lot of my own spelling errors.

Lets just go on facts and not spelling. I will share what I know to be facts about this comapny and you are welcome to share what you think to be true. I am not here to make enemies or be rude or anything, and again, I apologize. I am here for an honest discussion on what YOU think to be true about Robert and his work, and what I beleive to be true.

Again, please do not take any of this to heart, I just want to discuss. No hard feelings. As I said, I USED to work for Bobby, so I have an open mind....Kind of. LOL. Please share your thoughts and I will share mine.

Terie
09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I guarantee I have sold more of MY books with Mr. Bobby than you ever have with ANY publisher.

Have you actually googled James D. Macdonald? A.C. Crispin? Might want to do so before you start making 'guarantees' like that.

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 02:55 PM
ahahahahahahahahahahaha......omg.[sic] ok. [sic] I'm just playing devils advocate.

Okay, cool. I get a Bingo.

And add the term "devil's advocate" to the terms you don't understand.

i [sic] HAVE worked for his company before and I think that unless you know what your [sic] talking about, which it seems all of you do not, then you shouldnt [sic] be talking.

Have you really? What was your job with them? Some answers, please. As to who doesn't know what they're talking about, hands down it's you.

how [sic] many books have YOU sold?

Hundreds of thousands. World-wide. For decades.

I guarantee I have sold more of MY books with Mr. Bobby than you ever have with ANY publisher.

You "guarantee"? Really? What's the title of your book?

Since we know that my grammar is not always acurate, [sic] and I obviously have not been an editor, lets [sic] forget the spelling errors.

Let's not. You were the one who started off by criticizing the spelling and grammar of others. You're the one who made a big point of how some of Fletcher's victims are "illiterate." So no, you don't get to slide on that. How do I know you weren't one of Bobby's "editors"? Your grammar skills are about on a par with theirs.

Now would be a great time to apologize to those authors you cheated, and those authors you insulted.

forget about that.

Not 'til I hear that apology to Fletcher's victims.

I apologize If i [sic] have offended anyone by pointing out spelling errors, because as you can tell, I have a lot of my own spelling errors.

You didn't "offend" me, chump. But you did point up the quality of people Bobby hires.

Lets just go on facts and not spelling.

Facts. Yes. How many people did you personally defraud?

I will share what I know to be facts about this comapny and you are welcome to share what you think to be true.

You already tried to share those "facts" with that page of testimonials. I've been sharing what I know to be true for years. "Basically, Fletcher and LAG were running a fraud by charging fees for all services while falsely giving hope to the authors that Fletcher and LAG would find a publisher for their book."

I am not here to make enemies or be rude or anything, and again, I apologize.

The best way to apologize would be for you to turn State's Evidence. And a personal apology to all those authors you called "illiterate" above would be nice.

I am here for an honest discussion on what YOU think to be true about Robert and his work, and what I beleive [sic] to be true.

How about what I know to be true, and what you're trying to tap-dance around?

But I'll let you go first: When did you first realize that Bouncing Bobby was running a scam?

Again, please do not take any of this to heart, I just want to discuss. No hard feelings. As I said, I USED to work for Bobby, so I have an open mind....Kind of. LOL. Please share your thoughts and I will share mine.

I've shared my thoughts, chump. You might want to go back through some of the older threads to see 'em.

So, tell us what you know. Don't try to bullshit me, because I'll call you on it.

No hard feelings.

Momento Mori
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
The Idiot...?
Some books are so awful but the author whole-heartedly believes their material will sell, and they have no idea about anything to do with writing.

and

The Idiot...?

So, not only do you work for Fletcher, you've also had books published through AEG. Given your admission that spelling and grammar aren't always accurate, does this mean that your books fall into the awful category?

The Idiot...?
I will share what I know to be facts about this comapny and you are welcome to share what you think to be true.

Jim's already set out a number of questions to you that you have yet to reply to. Start there.

MM

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
------------- Start Quote -------------

Recently our company(s) acquired a book from the foreman of the grand jury that handled Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick trial. The book is titled Left to Die - Chappaquiddick Grand Jury Foreman Reveals Explosive, Never-Before-Told Information. We quickly and carefully hustled this book through production. With the media surrounding Senator Kennedy's death, we are going to sell a lot of books with our author. This is a great example of our business model.

We believe we may have the largest database of ready and semi-ready books and authors in the world. We employ 125 very talented people, and we can move an author from their query letter to a finished book for sale on book shelves faster than almost any publisher. Our business model is to find as many of the best authors as we can, help them prepare for publication, help them get published, or publish them ourselves. We believe that we're the new model for the publishing industry and that our presentation to new publishing and agency clients is very straightforward. Details about how we present our business can always be found at www.StrategicBookPublishing.com and www.WLWritersAgency.com .

We believe the Florida Attorney General lawsuit is being manipulated by outside influences who may have provided misleading information to the AG and to our clients. We plan to look for evidence of collusion between Victoria Strauss, Ann Crispin, James MacDonald, and Dave Kuzminski who recently lost a defamation lawsuit. ((http://www.writersnewsweekly.com/kuzminski.html)). We were not able to follow through on a prior lawsuit against these people because of financial reasons. We will not make that mistake again. Once we have reached successful resolution with the Attorney General, it is our intention to file lawsuits against our detractors.

Furthermore, we are assisting the Attorney General in resolving this current matter as rapidly as possible and we look forward to reaching a mutually agreeable settlement. The Attorney General has 175 complaints from four years of our business. During these same four years, we assisted 30,000 authors. If you will visualize each complaint or author as equal to one piece of paper, that is a half a ream of paper compared to sixty reams. That's about one inch of paper opposed to a ten-foot stack of paper.

Frankly, our complaint rate is less than 1 percent. If small businesses and publishers in the US can be the subject of a lawsuit for a complaint rate of less than 1% then we are very worried for our industry. We have thousands of published clients, and we have thousands of clients with their work in progress. Maintaining our services to our clients will continue to be our focus as we move forward to a successful conclusion of this matter. We plan to maintain our position and answer questions on our Web site, www.StrategicBookGroup.com. Please stay tuned and visit the site often. We are excited about bringing our story to the industry. It is time to set the record straight.

To Request further information or an interview please email feedback@Strategicbookgroup.com .

----- end quote --------------------

Richard White
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey, Bobby. It was nice meeting you at BEA. It's going to be very satisfying to put your business under once and for all.

<busy sharpening the stake to drive through the vampire business's heart once and for all.>

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 07:16 PM
No, this isn't Bobby. Careless a writer as Bobby is, he's far more literate than this assclown.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Now we are resorting to name calling? Wow. I am just posting facts.

rejectME
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I am just posting facts.

Then perhaps you should look up the definition of what a fact is and proceed when ready. Thanks!

Lol, If you think this is Robert, you are sadly mistaken, my friend.
I received this in my email inbox this morning from someone from AEG/SBG.

It's good to know that you and Bobby are tight and that you can edit a post. Now can you go back a few and address the parts where you said that you've sold more copies of books with SPB/EB than anyone on here? Seriously, James stepped to the plate and called you out. Either stay on topic and be accountable for your ridiculous statements or stop posting.

In case you’ve already forgotten, here’s a refresher…

You said…

how many books have YOU sold? I guarantee I have sold more of MY books with Mr. Bobby than you ever have with ANY publisher.

Then your bluff was called…

You "guarantee"? Really? What's the title of your book?

So we’re waiting for the answer. How many books have you sold? Throw out a title at least. Come on, give us some of those "facts!"

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I would much rather stay an anonymous poster, thanks. I do not, in any way, need to give you "proof" that I have sold more books, or what my "real" name is.

Let's leave that at that. And the only way that I edited that was by putting the quote and end quote parts. That is it.

rejectME
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I would much rather stay an anonymous poster, thanks. I do not, in any way, need to give you "proof" that I have sold more books, or what my "real" name is.

Fair enough. The don't make claims you're not prepared to back up, please and thank you.

You can still remain anonymous and provide us with a figure for the total amount of AEG/SBP/EB book or novels that have sold worldwide. If you've outsold anyone and everyone in here, your figures would be included in that overall figure.

I'd be willing to bet that I could find at least a few authors on here who individually have sold more book/novel (There's a difference, fyi!) copies than AEG/SBP/EB has sold through all it's authors combined.

So provide a little credible information. Seriously.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
If you're not willing to stand behind your claims, then don't make them. Classic I-can't-prove-what-I-say tactics. Because the difference between you and someone like Victoria or James is that they stand behind their words and they can prove what they say.

And for what it's worth, a publisher who thinks being able to pump out lots of authors really fast is a good thing is no better than PA. Fast turnarounds = low quality product.

DeadlyAccurate
09-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I do not, in any way, need to give you "proof" that I have sold more books, or what my "real" name is.

That makes your claim less than useless then. Why should we believe you? (Hint: "Because I said so" isn't actually an effective debate tactic). You've already shown an astounding level of ignorance about the commercial publishing industry and an inability to do basic Google research. (Seriously? If A.C. Crispin is published? If?)

And when pressed on your claims, you fall back on basic scammer bingo responses. I was surprised to find "I have more important things to do than hang out on the Internet like you losers" on the first page. Impressive. Have you done the "sour grapes" one yet? Should we count the "illiterate authors who couldn't sell their books" as that one? If so, that's two bingo responses before ever leaving the first page. We'll have a full bingo card out of you before page 3 at this rate.

eqb
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM

No, you post lies and insults. Try again.

Gillhoughly
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by The Idiot...? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4028140#post4028140) how many books have YOU sold?

I've got 23 separate titles sold to Penguin, Random House, St. Martin's, DAW, and Baen Books for a start. You may have heard of them, but I'm not holding my breath.

That doesn't count the German, French, Polish, Italian, and Romanian publishers.

They did all the marketing, paid me real money, and sell my books worldwide.

When I have the time, I edit for one of US publishers.

That is NOTHING compared to the sales of the other writers here, who are considerably more prolific than I am.

Might as well give up.

You didn't just bring a knife to a gun fight, you walked butt naked into a combat zone full of Marines who are laughing at your equipment.

You're being played. Jim's already chewed you up and spit you to the gutter. You just haven't figured it out yet.

http://getgood.typepad.com/getgood_strategic_marketi/no_trolls.jpg

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I am not asking you to beleive what I say. Again, I do not spread lies around the internet... unlike 99% of you. I am not asking you to beleive these facts because I already know what the truth is, and what is not. If you choose to fight the truth, that is up to you. I absolutely LOVED how everyone jumped on the bandwagon to take a swing at me, like you have done with Robert.

I came to this blog to post the truth and only the truth. I will say that this is my final post. I do not have time to argue back and forth anymore. I do not spend my whole life inside, on the internet all day, trying to spread lies. I live my life. I climb mountains, go swimming in the arctic, paraglide, and see the world. I do not have anymore time for you liars and "know-it-alls".

I have posted the facts and if you do not like what is true, then too bad for you.

I cannot WAIT to see Robert take James Macdonald, A. C. Crsipin, and especially Victoria Strauss to court and win. That will be a good day. :)

Farewell (since you are all doing it...I will now call you names as well) you self absorbed idiots. Go write lies about yourself. Wait... You already do.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Is anyone sure that today's flouncer is the same as yesterday's flouncer?

Yesterday it was "Mr.Bobby", today it's "Robert".

Gillhoughly
09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Nice flounce, I hope you mean it.

And he already did take James Macdonald, A. C. Crsipin, and Victoria Strauss to court.

He lost. Boy, did he EVER lose (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html).

When is he going to pay what he owes on that?

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd be willing to bet that I could find at least a few authors on here who individually have sold more book/novel (There's a difference, fyi!) copies than AEG/SBP/EB has sold through all it's authors combined.

In a quote at PW (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6685394.html?industryid=47146), Bouncing Bobby said he sold a total of 50,000 copies through his vanity presses.

According to Fletcher, his company has published more than 1,000 authors and sold 50,000 books, acting as a “blend of a traditional publisher and AuthorSolutions” wherein some manuscripts are published following a traditional model and others are published through a joint-venture subsidy program. He charges a flat rate of $895, and writers are told the cost up front.

I personally have sold more copies of individual titles than Bobby has sold of all his titles by all his authors combined.

If assclown's books are included in that total (assuming he's actually written a book, that is), then...well, he loses again.

Terie
09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I cannot WAIT to see Robert take James Macdonald, A. C. Crsipin, and especially Victoria Strauss to court and win. That will be a good day.

He already did. He already lost.

Cyia
09-11-2009, 08:59 PM
50,000? And this is bragworthy? Sheesh, that's 20% of what PA claims to have sold.

rejectME
09-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Glad you're done posting, your village called...

James D. Macdonald
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM

Really? I hear all your friends call you "assclown." I just want to be your friend.

I've asked you a number of questions. You want to post facts? Start answering them.

Maryn
09-11-2009, 09:18 PM
so enjoying my voyeurism here...]

Tasmin21
09-11-2009, 09:26 PM
*offers Maryn some :popcorn:*

Parametric
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I cannot WAIT to see Robert take James Macdonald, A. C. Crsipin, and especially Victoria Strauss to court and win. That will be a good day. :)

Richard White
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Apparently he's as out of the loop on legal matters as he is ignorant of how publishing really works.

Retaliatory Lawsuit Against Writer Beware Staff Dismissed (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/03/retaliatory-lawsuit-against-writer.html) (March 2009)
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/03/retaliatory-lawsuit-against-writer.html

Robert Fletcher's Lawsuit Against Writer Beware Ruled Frivolous (August 2009) http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/08/victoria-strauss-robert-fletchers.html

Robert needs to worry about his own defense now, as well as getting around to paying up what he already owes.

I wonder what that big sailboat of his will go for at auction?:evil

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
One more thing.

http://www.goodexperience.com/2008/07/following-up-on-these.php.

Goodbye.

The Idiot...?
09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
...and it's not a sailboat, it's a yacht!

DeadlyAccurate
09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Goodbye.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

CaoPaux
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, the farce is strong in this one.

rejectME
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM

At least you got your username right. Yet another fallacy in your response. A yacht is either a sailboat or a yacht - the definition actually regards the use of the craft for pleasure, but you knew that. The definition of yacht based on size is of debate. In the sailing (and motoring) world, we generally consider a boat to be a yacht if it is at least 21-feet, but the United States Coast Guard (Not published by AEG, but nonetheless credible) defines the length to be 26-feet.

Keep going, genius! :poke:

M.R.J. Le Blanc
09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
One more thing.

http://www.goodexperience.com/2008/07/following-up-on-these.php.

Goodbye.

I can't tell who's more ignorant...the writer of that link or you. Unless you're the same person, of course.

DeadlyAccurate
09-11-2009, 11:03 PM

I can't tell who's more ignorant...the writer of that link or you. Unless you're the same person, of course.

I knew before I got to the bottom of the article the person would be touting the benefits of self-publishing and their own self-published book.

It's the usual list of half-truths and outright misconceptions about publishing we see all the time with a subset of the self-published population.

Marian Perera
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
I climb mountains

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xt/200351505-001.jpg?v=1&g=fs1|0|STK|15|051&s=1

go swimming in the arctic

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:-h6uBuY4d1PEcM:http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/ringed-seal-ga.jpg

leap tall buildings in a single bound, and so on.

James D. Macdonald
09-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm not going to bother with assclown any more. Not until he shows up with some of those "facts."

Isn't that always the way it goes with Bobby and his shills? All kinds of claims, all kinds of promises to answer questions, but the minute you start asking for verifiable information--dates, names, titles--all of a sudden they're too busy to answer.

I'll get around to that letter from Fletcher pretty soon. First, though, before I play with it here, I think I'll make sure the Florida Attorney General has a copy....

victoriastrauss
09-12-2009, 01:36 AM

That's an interesting bit of disputage, and not, I think, one that would be made by someone who didn't know Fletcher. Could The Idiot be Leslie Williams, I wonder?

- Victoria

victoriastrauss
09-12-2009, 01:52 AM
------------- Start Quote -------------

Recently our company(s) acquired a book from the foreman of the grand jury that handled Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick trial. The book is titled Left to Die - Chappaquiddick Grand Jury Foreman Reveals Explosive, Never-Before-Told Information. We quickly and carefully hustled this book through production. With the media surrounding Senator Kennedy's death, we are going to sell a lot of books with our author. This is a great example of our business model.

We believe we may have the largest database of ready and semi-ready books and authors in the world. We employ 125 very talented people, and we can move an author from their query letter to a finished book for sale on book shelves faster than almost any publisher. Our business model is to find as many of the best authors as we can, help them prepare for publication, help them get published, or publish them ourselves. We believe that we're the new model for the publishing industry and that our presentation to new publishing and agency clients is very straightforward. Details about how we present our business can always be found at www.StrategicBookPublishing.com (http://www.StrategicBookPublishing.com) and www.WLWritersAgency.com (http://www.WLWritersAgency.com) .

We believe the Florida Attorney General lawsuit is being manipulated by outside influences who may have provided misleading information to the AG and to our clients. We plan to look for evidence of collusion between Victoria Strauss, Ann Crispin, James MacDonald, and Dave Kuzminski who recently lost a defamation lawsuit. ((http://www.writersnewsweekly.com/kuzminski.html)). We were not able to follow through on a prior lawsuit against these people because of financial reasons. We will not make that mistake again. Once we have reached successful resolution with the Attorney General, it is our intention to file lawsuits against our detractors.

Furthermore, we are assisting the Attorney General in resolving this current matter as rapidly as possible and we look forward to reaching a mutually agreeable settlement. The Attorney General has 175 complaints from four years of our business. During these same four years, we assisted 30,000 authors. If you will visualize each complaint or author as equal to one piece of paper, that is a half a ream of paper compared to sixty reams. That's about one inch of paper opposed to a ten-foot stack of paper.

Frankly, our complaint rate is less than 1 percent. If small businesses and publishers in the US can be the subject of a lawsuit for a complaint rate of less than 1% then we are very worried for our industry. We have thousands of published clients, and we have thousands of clients with their work in progress. Maintaining our services to our clients will continue to be our focus as we move forward to a successful conclusion of this matter. We plan to maintain our position and answer questions on our Web site, www.StrategicBookGroup.com (http://www.StrategicBookGroup.com). Please stay tuned and visit the site often. We are excited about bringing our story to the industry. It is time to set the record straight.

To Request further information or an interview please email feedback@Strategicbookgroup.com .

----- end quote --------------------

Preserving this for posterity in case The Idiot chooses the flounce-with-deletion option.

It has also been posted at Writer Beware's blog (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-florida-attorney.html).

BTW, the book referred to in the first paragraph--Left to Die, by Leslie H. Leland and J.B. Shaffer (http://tinyurl.com/nne67e)--has a pub date of July 2009. It has no sales rank on Amazon, and is listed as "temporarily out of stock."

I hope Strategic consulted with its lawyers before it "carefully hustled" this book to market.

- Victoria

rejectME
09-12-2009, 02:01 AM
BTW, the book referred to in the first paragraph--Left to Die, by Leslie H. Leland and J.B. Shaffer (http://tinyurl.com/nne67e)--has a pub date of July 2009. It has no sales rank on Amazon, and is listed as "temporarily out of stock."

Forgive my ignorance, but if the book was just released a couple months ago, has no sales ranks, but is temporarily out of stock, wouldn't that sort of indicate that it hasn't even been IN stock?

Gravity
09-12-2009, 02:30 AM
A bag of circus peanuts says our visitor was Mister B.B. himself. Bets?

James D. Macdonald
09-12-2009, 04:13 AM
A bag of circus peanuts says our visitor was Mister B.B. himself. Bets?

Nope. I'm pretty familiar with Bouncin' Bobby's style by now, including the little unconscious things that he says and does, and assclown doesn't sound a bit like him.

I like the idea that this is Leapin' Leslie. We'll learn more when we hear more from him/her.

James D. Macdonald
09-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but if the book was just released a couple months ago, has no sales ranks, but is temporarily out of stock, wouldn't that sort of indicate that it hasn't even been IN stock?

It gets even better than that.

There aren't any reviews of it, anywhere. At least not that I can find with Google.

And ... while it was listed at Tesco (here's the Google cache (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:l_Ukp5OEf2kJ:www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx%3FR%3D9781606939345%26bci%3D429457139 3%257CEloquent%2520Books%26in_merch%3D1%26in_merch _title%3D%26in_merch_name%3D+%22Left+to+Die%22+%22 j.+b.+shaffer%22&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)), at the moment it's
"We're sorry... (http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781606939345&bci=4294571393%7CEloquent%20Books&in_merch=1&in_merch_title=&in_merch_name=)

... we couldn't find the page you requested." (http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=9781606939345&bci=4294571393%7CEloquent%20Books&in_merch=1&in_merch_title=&in_merch_name=)

And, at Target, it was (http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:4vG4p9PggiAJ:www.target.com/Left-Die-Shaffer-J-B/dp/1606939343+%22Left+to+Die%22+%22j.+b.+shaffer%22&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a) listed, but now it's "We could not find exact matches for "Left to Die" (http://www.target.com/gp/search/ref=sr_bmvd_redirect?field-keywords=Left%20to%20Die&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index)"

It's out of stock over at B&N, too.

Somehow I don't think this one is going to sell a ton of copies.

AC Crispin
09-12-2009, 06:13 AM
My money's on Leslie, too.

You know, if my boyfriend had gotten me in trouble with the authorities, I wouldn't be hanging out on a message board, defending him in a really clueless fashion that's rife with spelling errors...I'd be calling the authorities to discuss rolling over on him in return for them leaving me out of the equation.

Leslie, did you know that the last all-purpose fraudster that threatened Writer Beware wakes up every morning in Federal Women's prison? Hey, maybe you and Martha can be cellmates, how about that? She still has a couple years to run on her sentence. I'm sure you'd have a lot to talk about.

(smile)

-Ann C. Crispin

James D. Macdonald
09-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Recently our company(s) acquired a book from the foreman of the grand jury that handled Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick trial.

"Trial" is the wrong word here.

Beyond that: the Grand Jury session in that case met in spring of 1970 and listened to twenty minutes of testimony. By then there had already been an inquest, and Kennedy had already pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and had been given two months, with the sentence suspended.

The book is titled Left to Die - Chappaquiddick Grand Jury Foreman Reveals Explosive, Never-Before-Told Information. We quickly and carefully hustled this book through production.

The grand jury session was a minor side-show. It took place nearly forty years ago. That this book came to rest with a vanity publisher after all that time tells me that it had probably already been rejected all over town. That means that either a) it stinks on ice, or b) it contains nothing new, or c) it stinks on ice and contains nothing new.

With the media surrounding Senator Kennedy's death, we are going to sell a lot of books with our author.

You may be disappointed. Chappaquiddick is old news. Very old news. Recall that Monica Lewinsky's book tanked, and her scandal was a lot sexier, and a lot more current, when it came out.

This is a great example of our business model.

Given that the book doesn't appear to be actually available anywhere, hasn't been reviewed, and doesn't appear to have any verifiable sales, you may be inadvertently telling the truth there.

But suppose it becomes an AEG Best Seller. What does that mean? That it's broken through into three-digit sales?

How much did the authors pay to be published?

We believe we may have the largest database of ready and semi-ready books and authors in the world.

La-di-dah. What's a "semi-ready" book? What's a "semi-ready" author? And what does that database do for you? You can't sell those authors to real publishers. You claim to have been trying for years. And you've been failing for years.

We employ 125 very talented people, and we can move an author from their query letter to a finished book for sale on book shelves faster than almost any publisher.

Not having to do editing, marketing, promotion, or distribution certainly helps with the speed. It's possible that only PublishAmerica is faster.

Our business model is to find as many of the best authors as we can,

The best authors you can find, and the best authors, are two different groups of people.

help them prepare for publication, help them get published, or publish them ourselves.

And that's the real point, isn't it? After signal failure to get them published by real publishers (while charging them fees for worthless services at every step of the way) you feed them into your own vanity press.

We believe that we're the new model for the publishing industry and that our presentation to new publishing and agency clients is very straightforward.

Weirdly, the publishing industry (you know, the industry that sells books to readers in bookstores) hasn't followed suit. Can you perhaps explain why?

Details about how we present our business can always be found at www.StrategicBookPublishing.com (http://www.strategicbookpublishing.com/) and www.WLWritersAgency.com (http://www.wlwritersagency.com/) .

Even more details can be found here (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf) thanks to the Florida State Attorney General.

We believe the Florida Attorney General lawsuit is being manipulated by outside influences who may have provided misleading information to the AG and to our clients.

That silly Attorney General! Doesn't he know that fraud isn't illegal in Florida?

We plan to look for evidence of collusion between Victoria Strauss, Ann Crispin, James MacDonald, [sic] and Dave Kuzminski who recently lost a defamation lawsuit. ((http://www.writersnewsweekly.com/kuzminski.html)).

Victoria Strauss, Ann Crispin, and James Macdonald recently won a defamation lawsuit (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/08/victoria-strauss-robert-fletchers.html) ... brought by Bobby Fletcher!

We were not able to follow through on a prior lawsuit against these people because of financial reasons.

"This case is frivolous and this Court finds so, finds that the two plaintiffs and their lawyer, Jerrold G. Neeff, knew it to be frivolous before it even commenced."

We will not make that mistake again.

"This Court finds that the claims asserted by the plaintiffs to be wholly insubstantial, frivolous and not advanced in good faith."

Once we have reached successful resolution with the Attorney General, it is our intention to file lawsuits against our detractors.
For assisting legitimate law enforcement agencies with their inquiries? That's a non-starter, Bobby. You "...knew it to be frivolous before it even commenced." The Court won't look favorably on you, given your history.

Furthermore, we are assisting the Attorney General in resolving this current matter as rapidly as possible and we look forward to reaching a mutually agreeable settlement.

Which, with any kind of luck, will include substantial fines, being banned from any further business on the Internet, being blocked from any future business dealing with literary properties, and full restitution to all the authors you've defrauded. I warned you years ago that you ought to find an honest job, Bobby. You didn't listen, and now look how much trouble you're in.

The Attorney General has 175 complaints from four years of our business. During these same four years, we assisted 30,000 authors.

Let's look at that. "Assisted" 30,000 authors. By your own admission, you've sold around a thousand of them to your own vanity press. Selling a book to a vanity press isn't a challenge. Selling a book to a vanity press that you yourself own is even less of a challenge. That isn't assistance; that's fraud.

That leaves 29,000 unaccounted for. Again by your own admission, you've sold perhaps as many as six of them to presses that you don't own (although you admit that the authors actually did the selling in a fair percentage of those cases). So your sucess rate, given the most generous definition of "success" that I can manage, is 6 out of 29,000, or around 0.02%.

If you will visualize each complaint or author as equal to one piece of paper, that is a half a ream of paper compared to sixty reams. That's about one inch of paper opposed to a ten-foot stack of paper.

No, that's six sheets of paper compared to sixty reams. That's less than an eighth of an inch of paper opposed to a ten-foot stack of paper. Where the ten-foot stack is the authors from whom you took money and did nothing in return.

"Usually each prospective author (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf) was good for about $600.00 and DEFENDANT ROBERT FLETCHER, was turning over about 500 consumers every six months, or receiving approximately $600,000 per year for no legitimate efforts to provide the consumers the help they paid for, leaving only frustration and disappointment for aspiring authors once they realized their money was paid, not to a legitimate literary agency, but a scam."

Frankly, our complaint rate is less than 1 percent.

You mean your success rate is less than 1 percent.

If small businesses and publishers in the US can be the subject of a lawsuit for a complaint rate of less than 1% then we are very worried for our industry.

"The Defendants at no time made legitimate efforts to assist their customers in having submitted manuscripts sold or published. Despite the contracts with the consumers to do so and receipt of funds from the consumers by the respective corporations for assistance in seeking publication, the Defendants did not exert efforts to do so, either making no effort at all, or sending batches of unprofessionally written letters to commercial advance and royalty paying publishers with no expectation that the manuscripts would be given serious consideration for publication."

We have thousands of published clients, and we have thousands of clients with their work in progress.

Published by your own vanity press.

Maintaining our services to our clients will continue to be our focus as we move forward to a successful conclusion of this matter.

Your services are worthless. Your claims are fraudulent. A "successful" conclusion will include substantial fines, or perhaps jail time.

We plan to maintain our position and answer questions on our Web site, www.StrategicBookGroup.com (http://www.strategicbookgroup.com/). Please stay tuned and visit the site often. We are excited about bringing our story to the industry. It is time to set the record straight.

Sorry, chum, that ship has sailed. Now it's time for the State of Florida to set you straight. You could have gone straight at any time. But no, you thought it would be funnier to launch frivolous lawsuits. Guess you aren't laughing now, are you, Bobby?

I've offered to interview you any number of times, Bobby. That offer is still on the table. Any time, any place. But don't expect me to be gentle now. That ship has also sailed.

HapiSofi
09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Okay, let's assume this is one of Fletcher's authors.

Odds are the person's in shock and severe denial. No one would get mixed up with an operation like Fletcher's if they thought it was operating so far over the line that law enforcement would shut it down. Besides, whatever this person knows about publishing will primarily have been picked up from Fletcher, and you know what a ripe source of disinformation he is.

Judging from the discussion here, I'd say the biggest point that Idiot doesn't understand is that since Fletcher didn't put any work into agenting his clients, or selling or marketing their titles, all his participation amounted to was interposing himself between his clients and acquiring editors, and between his authors and Lightning Source, then charging them through the nose for the privilege. Fletcher's done very well out of it. He's not going to want to stop now, especially if it means he's going to have to get a real job.

Idiot, you know those cardboard boxes printed to look like computers that office furniture retailers use as set dressing? Fletcher's operations are like that. We're not saying that AEG/SBP/etc. and his agencies are bad computers. We're saying they're cardboard boxes. Which they are.

All real publishers do sales and marketing and publicity, and they don't leave distribution to their authors. If you think otherwise, it's because Fletcher told you so. It wasn't true. If he published a book of yours, you're going to have to accept that he isn't your friend, he's never wished you well, and you are not and never have been an insider.

The big question is, do you have a reversion clause in your contract? Go and look right now. If you don't have one, you need to get a reversion letter out of Fletcher. At this point in legal proceedings, you may still have leverage. Later on, I can promise you won't.

Don't lose your book.

victoriastrauss
09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
The Attorney General has 175 complaints from four years of our business. During these same four years, we assisted 30,000 authors.

Combining these figures with the AG's fee estimate (average of $600 per author), that's a gross of $18 million dollars over four years.

Even using the AG's lower author "assistance" figures (1,000 a year, which I suspect comes closer to the truth), it adds up to nearly $3 mil.

Just from authors. Without counting a single book sale into the mix.

- Victoria

Old Hack
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Victoria, in the UK, all the accounts of any limited company or business are available (for a tiny fee) as a matter of public record. Is it different in America? Because I bet Fletcher's company accounts would make interesting reading.

AC Crispin
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
If Writer Beware's experience with the FBI during the Martha Ivery case is any guideline, the moment the AG's complaint was filed, and various sources reported on it, more complaints begain flooding into the AG's Office.

I'd bet real money on it.

Consider: when the FBI searched Martha Ivery's place and asked us to post on Writer Beware that they had opened an official investigation on her and her "literary agency" and "publishing company," they had verified that defrauded authors had spent circa $100,000.00 dollars on her bogus "services."

By the time Ms. Ivery was sentenced, the total of losses reported to them stood at about $750,000.00.

This was ONE woman, working mostly alone, for a period of six-seven years.

Mr. Fletcher's operation is so smooth, so automated, that comparing it with Ivery's is like comparing an automobile assembly line's output with that of a couple of kids building a jalopy in their garage.

I know that at one point I stopped answering questions and complaints from aspiring authors about one of Mr. Fletcher's literary agencies and spent a while counting up how many I'd received. When I reached 1000, I quit counting. That was close to three years ago, and I don't think I counted more than half of the ones I'd received.

An efficient "assembly line" of bogus "services" indeed.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

James D. Macdonald
09-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Because I bet Fletcher's company accounts would make interesting reading.

Alas, Fletcher appears to have been ... lax ... in certain areas. The terms "unregistered businesses" and "unregistered company" are sprinkled liberally throughout the Florida Attorney General's complaint (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf).

The "Leslie" referenced above is "LESLIE MROZ WILLIAMS, an individual a/k/a LESLIE W. MROZ," Fletcher's long-term girlfriend, who is also named in the complaint.

If I were Leslie, I'd a) be seeking separate counsel, and b) trying to cut a deal with the prosecutor; immunity in return for testimony perhaps. When that train leaves the station she'd better hope she's on it.

Old Hack
09-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Well, Uncle Jim, I'm sad to hear that Mr Fletcher might have been a little too relaxed about filing his accounts, because here in the UK just about all businesses know that while they might be able to get away with a little bit of creative accounting here and there, if they try to deceive the VAT inspector then they're dead in the water.

I bet you have slightly different organisations in charge in the USA, but basically, there's a layer of taxation which businesses shouldn't even consider trying to get past. It brings to mind the stories I've heard about Al Capone being taken down because his tax records were not in order.

Popcorn, anyone?

(And yes, if I were Ms Mrox/Williams, I'd be offering my story to everyone and anyone I could find who was prepared to listen to it. Far better to speak up now than to be forced into a corner by lawyers with evidence in their hands.)

Jess Haines
09-16-2009, 11:30 PM
...it bears repeating. :D

From here (http://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/0CA04161DA4BE29C8525762600550D21):

Attorney General Files Lawsuit Against "Literary Company"

TALLAHASSEE, FL – Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced that his office filed a lawsuit against a Boca Raton company that allegedly preyed on aspiring authors. According to the Attorney General’s lawsuit, Writer’s Literary Agency and owner Robert Fletcher used more than 20 websites and related companies to collect funds from potential authors, but misled victims about fees, costs, and promised results.

The Attorney General’s Economic Crimes Division received more than 175 complaints from around the world claiming Fletcher and his associates, who claimed to act as literary agents and publishers, allegedly collected money from victims anxious to see their work published. Potential writers paid anywhere from $89 for an initial critique to over $600 for various services including editing and marketing of a manuscript to publishers. Allegedly, Fletcher also told potential writers that fees were paid from book sales when in fact all costs of publishing were paid by the authors. According to the lawsuit, few books were ever sold as a result of the efforts of Fletcher’s companies.

Investigators determined Fletcher expanded into the field of publishing within the past year. Fletcher admitted to having no background as a literary agent and to using at least 10 aliases in his businesses.

The lawsuit seeks injunctive relief against Robert Fletcher and his associates, as well as his many businesses, prohibiting further business activities in the field of literary agencies or publishers. The Attorney General is also seeking full restitution on behalf of all victimized consumers, civil penalties of $10,000 for each violation of the Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and reimbursement for fees and costs related to the investigation.

A copy of the lawsuit is available online at: http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf)

BenPanced
09-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Extensive discussion here. You'll find that it's part of a small corner we have devoted to Bouncin' Bobby.

EgyptianGoddess
09-17-2009, 12:05 AM

Ok, I know I'm late to this party, but your post tickled me to death:D

EgyptianGoddess
09-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Having now read through this entire thread, the hair on my neck is standing straight up. If I hadn't been fortunate enough to find this forum, and to have carefully read many, many threads before I started querying agents, I might have fallen for something like this.

Victoria, James, A.C. and the rest of you: I can't even begin to tell you how much I deeply appreciate how much you care about saving the rest of us endless heartache. Your efforts have saved many of us from falling into traps like this, which would leave us watching our dreams tumbling into a wormhole.

I don't think there is any way to adequately express how much that means to me personally. Now that I have found an agent, and have real hope of publication of my book(s)......all I can say is I might not be where I am without you guys and your efforts to keep the rest of us safe.

How can we ever possibly repay you? There are no words except thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

JerseyGirl1962
09-17-2009, 02:30 AM
You guys rock! This is the absolute best news I've heard in ages!

I hope the Florida AG takes Bouncin' Bobby for all he's worth - and then some.

~Nancy

James D. Macdonald
09-19-2009, 01:22 AM
The following quotes have nothing whatever to do with the Strategic Book Group (or whatever they're calling it this week).

These are from other cases dealing with other agencies.

I'm just putting them here so Bobby will have something to contemplate over the weekend.

Desert Rose Literary Agency, Leann Murphy
"Ms. Murphy scammed me out of $ 1,000 bucks on two novels. As ignorant as I was about publishing, it could have been $ 5,000. I turned over all my emails to Johnny Walker in San Angelo. The DA there is putting the case together. Looks like there is a very long list of complaints against Desert Rose. After Ms Murphy got her money, I never got a single update, progress report or anything. She just took the money and dissappeared... Never answers her phone, etc. After talking to the Sheriff in Tom Green County, They are extremely pissed at Leanne Murphy, and I don't doubt for a minute that she will go to prison over this scam, especially since her association with the Titsworths."
-- April '09, after there had been warnings up about Leann for four solid years. Leann had a history of theft by check.
She also worked for George Titsworth/Janet Kay (Helping Hand Literary Agency) On April 22, Leann was arrested for felony theft.

"1. How many books have you sold in the past year? I am currently in negotiations for 5 manuscripts. 1 western, 1 western romance, 1 Christian romance, 1 horror (vampire), and 1 suspense novel.

2. Can you tell me whether the person with the long arrest record is someone else. I will be upfront with you and tell you that it was indeed me. When I was notified of the warrant (both times), I immediately went down to the courthouse and took care of the matter. I've NEVER spent a day in jail for anything. At that time, I was having serious health problems (now resolved) and was on a lot of medications (pain). The bad checks were written when I was not in the right state of mind. That was 11 years ago...I'm well past that problem now...Thank the Lord!

I fully understand if you prefer not to work with me. If you choose not to, good luck!

Leann"

Lee Shore Literary Agency
Helping Hand Literary Services
JanGeo Ink (vanity press owned by Janet Kay and George Titsworth)
Hill and Hill Literary Agency (Christopher Hill)
Janet Kay and Associates (complaints back to 2003)
"Re: Janet Kay Investigation

Since September 2002 the San Angelo Police Department assisted by several
other law enforcement agencies has been investigating the company(s) known
as Helping Hands Literary Service, Janet Kay & Associates and JanGeo Ink.
The crime alleged is "Theft" by deception.

These company's were taking fees for contacts with publishers. The
investigation shows that although the fees were being taken personal
contact or contact only with publishers did not happen. Clients were led
to believe that they had a high chance of being published if money was
given for office expenses.

On January 30, 2004 a search warrant was served on the home and business
of Janet Kay and George Titsworth. All manuscripts and writings submitted
to this business were seized and placed in evidence. These manuscripts and
writings will remain in evidence until the conclusion of the investigation
and prosecution of all involved.

Soon after the search warrant was served I was advised that the business
was abandoned. At this time there is nothing/nobody left in what used to
be the office for Janet Kay and Associates. The phones and mail are going
unanswered.

Many of you have questions about plagiarism and your contracts. At this
point I have no information that leads me to believe that any of the
writings submitted were used in any illegal way. As for the contracts you
have signed the best I can inform you is to consult with a local attorney
in your area. Attorneys in this area advised that a contract is only as
good as both parties fulfill the letter of the contract.

If you have yet to file a complaint with the police department please
fill out the form Statement of Fact (contact Detective Elkins via the email
link below).

If you have already filed a complaint with the police department
you may receive an e-mail from my office needing more
information. If this is the case you will also need to
go to the web link and complete the form. Many of you have registered
your name but we need complete information for the case file. In
addition, if you have any paperwork, documentation, correspondence with
any one or more of theses companies, please forward a copy to the San
Angelo Police Department attn; Det. Brian Elkins. Scanned or electronic
copies my be sent to brian.elkins@sanangelopolice.org.

This bulletin was put out to inform victims of this crime and to reduce
the amount of phone calls coming in to my office and the office of
criminal investigations. I know some of you may have specific questions
for me. If this is the case please call however be advised it may take me
some time to contact you back.

Det. Brian Elkins
San Angelo Police Department
401 E. Beauregard
San Angelo, TX. 76903
brian.elkins@sanangelopolice.org
"
Formed Harrison Agency
Harrison and Company Literary Agency
sonnyharrison.com
Janet Kay and Associates
newwriterswanted.com
authorswanted.com
Helping Hand Literary Service
JanGeo Ink Publishing Company

Evidence filled two 8x12 jail cells.
Cris Robins
Airleaf
Melanie Mills ($350 up front) Agency, editing, publicity. Literary Conference in North Myrtle Beach.

"Last week, during her trip to Europe due to a death in the family, Melanie
Mills died in a fatal car accident.

Therefore, all submissions to publishers have been retracted, all events
cancelled, and all existing publishing contracts have been reverted over to
the individual authors. Any contracts between an author, or authors,
revert immediately back to said authors in order that they may find
representation elsewhere.

I'm very sorry. This has been, and still is, a very emotional time for her
entire family and friends.
Good luck to all of you,
Kat Baker
Assistant to Melanie Mills""

Melanie, Kat, Lisa,
Martha Ivery/Kelly O'Donnell

Eirin
09-23-2009, 03:54 AM
My goodness. The first part of the legal papers from the Writers Literary Guild Complaint (http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/MRAY-7VJLSY/$file/WritersLiteraryGuildComplaint.pdf) reads like a farce.

Dramatis Personae, most of whom will require socks:

ROBERT M. FLETCHER, an individual,
a/k/a ROBERT WEST a/k/a ROBERT WILLIAMS,
a/k/a BILL WILLIAMS a/k/a BETH STORMES,
a/k/a GEORGINA ORR, a/k/a MARY BLUESTONE
a/k/a HIL MALLORY, d/b/a AGENCY STRATEGIC
BOOK PUBLISHING, STYLUS LITERARY AGENCY,
STRATEGIC PUBLISHING GROUP,
AGENCY STRATEGIC BOOK PUBLISHING,

LESLIE MROZ WILLIAMS,
an individual a/k/a LESLIE W. MROZ,

MARK BREDT, an individual,

LYNN EDDY, an individual,

THE LITERARY AGENCY GROUP,
INC., a dissolved Wyoming corporation,
d/b/a WRITER'S LITERARY & PUBLISHING
SERVICES, THE NEW YORK LITERARY
AGENCY, THE CHILDREN'S LITERARY
AGENCY, POETS LITERARY AGENCY, THE
CHRISTIAN LITERARY AGENCY, WRITER'S
LITERARY SCREENPLAY AGENCY,

RAPID
PUBLISHING-SCREENWRITER911, INC.,
a dissolved Florida corporation, d/b/a
RAPID PUBLISHING, INC. and
THE GLOBAL BOOK AGENCY,

AMERICAN ENTERPRISES GROUP, LLC,
a revoked Nevada Limited Liability
corporation d/b/a The Writer’s Literary
& Publishing Company,

AMERICAN ENTERPRISES GROUP, INC.,
a Florida corporation, d/b/a AEG PUBLISHING
GROUP, d/b/a ELOQUENT BOOKS, STRATEGIC
BOOK PUBLISHING, STRATEGIC BOOK
MARKETING and THE GLOBAL BOOK
AGENCY,

GROUP AEG, LLC,
a Florida Limited Liability Corporation,

S T LITERARY AGENCY, INC.,
a dissolved Florida corporation

Wonderful cast! The amazing opportunities for exposure in this particular venue couldn't have come to more deserving people. I'm confident they will receive the recognition they have so richly deserved, in full measure.

HapiSofi
09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
My favorite part is the long list of activities they'll never again be allowed to do, if the court so decides. No more doing business under pseudonyms, or asking for payment in advance of rendering the service, or having anything at all to do with publishing, or owning or controlling a website, and many more ... it's like a court order to go out and get a real job.

I keep wondering whether Fletcher's sulking and feeling ill-used. You see that a lot when these people get busted. They've managed to convince themselves in spite of everything that they're not crooks, or that they somehow have the right to defraud their clients, or that they really are agents, even though they haven't sold or submitted a book in years.

Oh, the indignation when they finally get called on it! The wounded feelings, the resentment, the affronted dignity! You could almost feel sorry for them -- if you hadn't seen all the hopeful, earnest writers who've paid these frauds' fees out of their household grocery money, or the crushed kids who've discovered they've been shafted, or the retirees whose one book of a lifetime has been butchered and thrown away by publishers-in-name-only.

Writing is hard. Getting published is hard. Editing and selling books is hard. Not every writer or every book is going to make it, and that's just plain sad. But there's nothing about that process that gives anyone the right to prey on their fellow beings.

Calla Lily
09-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Writing is hard. Getting published is hard. Editing and selling books is hard. Not every writer or every book is going to make it, and that's just plain sad. But there's nothing about that process that gives anyone the right to prey on their fellow beings.

QFT.

rejectME
09-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Hmmm. Everytime I've posted a link to their Facebook page or made a comment, I've been told that everything is on the up and up and all the authors are happy. LOL!. Then they take down said link or comment and tell me I'm jealous. Yep, that's it!

BenPanced
09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Yore a jelose looser.

victoriastrauss
09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
My favorite part is the long list of activities they'll never again be allowed to do, if the court so decides. No more doing business under pseudonyms, or asking for payment in advance of rendering the service, or having anything at all to do with publishing, or owning or controlling a website, and many more ... it's like a court order to go out and get a real job.

They would only be barred from doing those things in Florida, or, if outside Florida, against Florida residents. The rest of the world would still be fair game.

- Victoria

AC Crispin
09-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Granted, Vic, but if they moved to, say, Georgia, and started up again, it would be far easier to bring them to the attention of the authorities there because of the Florida complaint. By being able to show the Georgia AG's office or GA law enforcement the official Florida documentation, it would greatly lessen the "learning curve" time most State authorities need to recognize this kind of fraud directed at writers.

-Ann C. Crispin

SLake
10-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Chuckled all the way through this thread, alas, my weird reaction to tragedy.

Then there's the obvious contrast of writers and non-writers (or The Idiot) through this thread. Besides spelling errors and incorrect meanings, which certainly everyone does or has done - but all lumped together it kinda makes the The Idiot stand out like a fig on an orange tree.

He / she reminds me of when I was a juror, and the accused offering similar justifications, such as: "I found the police handgun" implying he supposed no one wanted it, and subsequently held up a store with it, 'but no one was hurt and I only took $20...' I should add here that in no way do I make parallels with the physical actions of 'the accused' and Fletcher &Co or The Idiot, my point is that their understanding of right and wrong appears to be similarly vague.

This post made me emotional, for myself I guess:

Originally Posted by HapiSofi

As unpublished for a long time, I agree. The process is blood, sweat and beaches but then I'm self-learning (not 'taught' teached?? yet) and besides that all I have is a vision and determination. (send me pity! :D)

Besides all that, and the reason I'm here is I recently wrote to Strategic Books but the reply made me suspicious. Maybe I've developed a nose for scams or maybe it's just obvious in their reply below. (I was scammed for $25 once by an Agent Editor, but I thought, hey, why should an agent have to charge fees? They can't be selling their authors...)

The reply from Strategic Book arrived, 15th Oct 09 - yesterday! 'Right and wrong,' honestly, it's like venus and mars to them:

Thank you for the information you have provided. I may have something for
you. We have recently merged with a publishing group and they have asked us to immediately send them authors that we believe meet their criteria. I will
be forwarding this information to our sister publisher that likes situations
like this (smaller and more focused), and can move quickly.

So far, the feedback is very good from writers we have sent to them. They
have published over 1000 authors at this point and their marketing is going
international.

Please give them 3-5 days to get back to you. They are very diligent about
leads I send them. (Hint: Please start prepping your manuscript now, the
odds are greater than 90% they will want to see it based on the fact that we
sent you to them).

Please note that if your work is NOT FINISHED then please let me know and we will continue forward and try to sell it as your agency. The agency can deal with an unfinished work. The publisher cannot.

If you would like to speak with someone, please call Mark at 561-455-6066.

Good luck!

The Acquisitions Team

P.s. Their website is www.StrategicBookPublishing.com and if you don't hear
from them in 4 days, then please fill out their submission form. They
should email you within 3 days though.

Here is the press release about our working together.
http://www.aegpublishinggroup.com/aeg_pressrelease.html We are very proud of the business model we have put together.

Good things are happening! SEPTEMBER, 2009: China Partner is taking our
authors to the Beijing Book Show. Here is a link to a page from their
catalog. (Please don't ask what it says (smile))!
http://www.strategicbookgroup.com/StrategicBookGroup-China1.JPG
And, if you do not reach a deal with them, please let me know and we will
continue to look for other publishers for you. Just email me back if that's
the case, and I will drop you an email in a couple of weeks to see how
things are going.
--------------
OPT OUT: When you filled out the form you elected to receive emails from our
company. To be removed from receiving any further emails please reply or
forward this email with your email address to optout@zmpi.com and you
will be removed from any further emails.

No, no, no. There's several reasons why this mail was suspect to me, but maybe I shouldn't say and so give the enemy ammo?

victoriastrauss
02-01-2011, 10:48 PM
An update on the lawsuit (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2011/02/update-on-strategic-book-publishing.html) from Writer Beware (it's still proceeding through the courts).

Writer Beware also had the chance to see one of Robert Fletcher's depositions (it's a public record document). Makes for interesting reading!

- Victoria

AC Crispin
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Having read the deposition in question, may I humbly suggest that our very own "Uncle Jim" read through it and do one of his infamous "line by lines" on the juciest parts????

The results would be truly hilarious, I feel sure.

-Ann C. Crispin

James D. Macdonald
02-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Having read the deposition in question, may I humbly suggest that our very own "Uncle Jim" read through it and do one of his infamous "line by lines" on the juciest parts????

The results would be truly hilarious, I feel sure.

-Ann C. Crispin

I have indeed read it.

It is a thing of joy and a wonder forever.

When he goes to jail I'll send him a fruit basket.

AC Crispin
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Aw, c'mon, Uncle Jim. Just a few little comments on some of the more outrageous statements? My favorite is when Fletcher claims not to know the last name of his own bookkeeper. That's...classic.

LOL

-Ann C. Crispin

James D. Macdonald
02-04-2011, 12:21 AM
It is comedy gold. I particularly like his palpable lies. Does he really think he can get away with it?

Momento Mori
02-04-2011, 12:58 AM
AC Crispin:
My favorite is when Fletcher claims not to know the last name of his own bookkeeper. That's...classic.

He didn't seem to know the surname of anyone who worked for him or indeed whether they were employees or independent contractors.

My favourite was when he said that he didn't sign any cheques - his book keeper basically does his signature to sign them for him.

MM

Shrouded
02-04-2011, 03:09 AM
It's interesting to note that even though he can't remember surnames or address' he knows the state and location of every 'employee'. Also note that he admits to using the names of now defunct employees. Isn't that identity theft?

CACTUSWENDY
02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
I read down through the whole thing. My goodness. How his left hand tries to blur over his right hand. :poke: A real piece of work.

JulieB
02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
It is comedy gold.

Heh.

WriterMomto3
02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I think my favorite (or one of them) is when he says he pays $100 a month for his suite of executive offices in New York...

ramurphy20
02-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Where'd the PDF of the deposition go?

James D. Macdonald
02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I really don't know. It was a link off the Writer Beware site.

ramurphy20
02-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Thank you. I tried asking on the Writer Beware blog (where it was linked) but my comment was deleted without any explanation. It seemed so odd.

Ink-Stained Wretch
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I have no idea how long a standard Florida AG suit takes to wind its way through the courts but a thought occurs to me: perhaps the suit against Fletcher has been dragging on so long because the AG has assigned it low priority. I've read countless news stories on the theme "Florida: Ground Zero in the foreclosure-fraud crisis"; maybe the AG's office doesn't have sufficient staff to look at Fletcher because they're focusing on matters of more immediate importance, like "Preventing thousands of state residents from fraudulently being made homeless."

victoriastrauss
02-21-2011, 01:59 AM
The Florida AG's office is definitely dealing with the foreclosure fraud crisis--but staff are also actively pursuing the Fletcher lawsuit. Suits like this often bog down in defendants' delaying tactics, such as attempted venue changes, appealing court rulings, and firing lawyers in order to trigger a 90-day delay while a new lawyer gets up to speed.

- Victoria

NYC_Writer_001
02-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Is that what is actually happening? Are you saying that Fletcher is delaying, using attempted venue changes, appealing court rulings (What rulings? Have there been any?) and firing lawyers to trigger a 90 day delay? It would help a lot to stay on point instead of making implications (i.e., state what you know). If you don't know anything just say so.

C. K. Casner
02-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?

NYC_Writer_001
02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Oh stop . . . I think that we're all chomping at the bit on this. Take my words with a grain of salt.

WriterMomto3
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?

C.K.: I definitely smell something. Hmmm. You have a mighty good nose.

Momento Mori
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Actually I think that NYC_Writer_001 has a point. Unless someone does have evidence that Fletcher has been using delay tactics of the type described then it's pure speculation that it is the reason for the delay.

Any court proceeding takes time - sometimes purely due to the pressures on court availability, which means that dates have to be booked into calendar months in advance.

MM

JulieB
02-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Notice Victoria said "suits like this." She didn't refer to this one specifically.

MM is also correct in that it sometimes takes quite a while just to get a case on the calendar.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 04:26 AM
We could argue implication and innuendo all day long. Why not say administrative delays . . . lack of prosecution? What’s wrong with fair and balanced? There could be judicial delays too. I just think that it's important to be professional, precise and report facts. Credibility is an asset and goes much farther in the court of public opinion.

Medievalist
02-23-2011, 04:32 AM
We could argue implication and innuendo all day long. Why not say administrative delays . . . lack of prosecution? What’s wrong with fair and balanced? There could be judicial delays too. I just think that it's important to be professional, precise and report facts. Credibility is an asset and goes much farther in the court of public opinion.

I know who Victoria is. I don't know who you are but I do know you're a brand new member who has only posted in this thread, that you post anonymously and that you have an agenda.

That's hardly professional, now is it?

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 04:43 AM
I know who Victoria is. I don't know who you are but I do know you're a brand new member who has only posted in this tread, that you post anonymously and that you have an agenda.

That's hardly professional, now is it?

Medievalist, I'm not anonymous. My name is Nick Caruso. Did your parents really name you "Medievalist" or is that something that you just hide behind? I'm anonymous? Sure, I'm new and working on my book. I came here to look for advice and counsel. Being new to this environment (publishing) it's very confusing and I thought that there were reasonable people here that had good intentions and not hidden agendas.

poetinahat
02-23-2011, 04:46 AM
*ahem* check her sig line.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 04:50 AM
*ahem* check her sig line.

Thank you! Newbee! Facts. Love facts

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Medievalist sorry. Still learning here. However, it's still very difficult to navigate through fact, fiction, negativity and all the name calling etc.etc. etc.

Medievalist
02-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I can honestly say it's not difficult at all.

Much may be accomplished by actually looking at published books and considering how they look, who wrote them, who their agent is, who published the books, what else they have published and in what libraries and bookstores the books may be found.

These things are the prima facie of publishing, and have been for centuries.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM

Much may be accomplished by actually looking at published books and considering how they look, who wrote them, who their agent is, who published the books, what else they have published and in what libraries and bookstores the books may be found.

Sound Sage advise. Very much appreciated.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 05:27 AM

These things are the prima facie of publishing, and have been for centuries.

So, really what is wrong with people here? What’s all the paranoia all about? I pose a simple question and C. K. Casner posts ”Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?” and WriterMomto3 posts “I definitely smell something. Hmmm. You have a mighty good nose.” For people like me, wanting to publish a book, wading about seeking advice, being called a troll . . . come on. There’s certainly a balancing test that any prospective author has to go through to evaluate the good and the bad. I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals. Is this really how your peers treat each other here?

Medievalist
02-23-2011, 05:38 AM
So, really what is wrong with people here? What’s all the paranoia all about? I pose a simple question and C. K. Casner posts ”Does anyone else detect the odor of troll?” and WriterMomto3 posts “I definitely smell something. Hmmm. You have a mighty good nose.” For people like me, wanting to publish a book, wading about seeking advice, being called a troll . . . come on. There’s certainly a balancing test that any prospective author has to go through to evaluate the good and the bad. I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals. Is this really how your peers treat each other here?

It's the smell of an agenda (http://publishingperspectives.com/2010/09/a-book-deal-that-was-too-good-to-be-true/), frankly.

Your language is marked in particular ways; ways that were oddly familiar.

Now, I know why. I've read your prose before.

The fact that a state attorney general is suing Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency is enough to give any writer more than a little concern.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 05:41 AM
It's the smell of an agenda (http://publishingperspectives.com/2010/09/a-book-deal-that-was-too-good-to-be-true/), frankly.

The fact that a state attorney general is suing Fletcher/Writers' Literary Agency is enough to give any writer more than a little concern.

Huh??? I'm not published. This is totally nuts. Are you serious?

Izz
02-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Medievalist, I'm not anonymous. My name is Nick Caruso. Did your parents really name you "Medievalist" or is that something that you just hide behind? I'm anonymous? Sure, I'm new and working on my book. I came here to look for advice and counsel. Being new to this environment (publishing) it's very confusing and I thought that there were reasonable people here that had good intentions and not hidden agendas.Saving this post for posterity.

thothguard51
02-23-2011, 05:51 AM
She did not say you are published...

Cyia
02-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Of course she is. Medi has no sense of humor whatsoever. In fact, her avi's a self-portrait. She's quite terrifying.

:sarcasm

BenPanced
02-23-2011, 06:48 AM
:e2beat: 'specially when it comes to knock-knock jokes.

DeleyanLee
02-23-2011, 07:10 AM

She never said you were published, Nick. However, if one scrolls down to the comments on the link she provided, there's your name on a comment with a few choice words of advice for Victoria.

All she did was show why you sound familiar.

thothguard51
02-23-2011, 07:17 AM
When one has an agenda, reading comprehension goes out the window...

AC Crispin
02-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Victoria, as usual, speaketh sooth. Many things are public record, and Writer Beware is very good at researching public record. You ought to try it sometime.

-Ann C. Crispin

mscelina
02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
:roll:

Okay, THAT was funny.

NYC_Writer_001
02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
She never said you were published, Nick. However, if one scrolls down to the comments on the link she provided, there's your name on a comment with a few choice words of advice for Victoria.

All she did was show why you sound familiar.

True . . . true . . . true. That was me for sure.

Momento Mori
02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
NYC_Writer_001:

I agree that speculation helps no one. However I don't believe that this thread is in anyway a "court of public opinion" - it is designed to report facts and enable discussion of the same. I don't think that anyone here can question the credibility of most of the posters here - unless you'd like to suggest something to the contrary?

NYC_Writer_001:
What’s all the paranoia all about?

It's not paranoia so much as normal skepticism. You're a new poster and the bulk of your comments have been made in two threads on this Forum. Your comments could also be argued to attempt to negate the discussion carrying on here with respect to Strategic. If you've ever used the internet before, you should understand how that looks and as a general head's up - accusing people of paranoia for raising the possibility doesn't make it look any better.

NYC_Writer_001:
I’m looking for options, help, alternatives and I’m questioning statements and/or assertions made by known professionals.

Fair enough. Check out the other boards as they give you a lot of good advice. Preditors and Editors is a solid resource for information on potential scam publishers/agents and companies it's better to avoid generally and so too is Writer Beware.

NYC_Writer_001:

No one said you were published. Medievalist said only that your prose was familiar.

NYC_Writer_001:

So what are you complaining about?

MM

James D. Macdonald
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
So, "Nick," you admit that this (http://publishingperspectives.com/2010/09/a-book-deal-that-was-too-good-to-be-true/) was you.

How about this (http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/10/18/former-guantanamo-prisoner-david-hicks-describes-his-first-two-weeks-at-camp-x-ray/)? A "Nick Caruso" posting a Strategic press release in a comment thread last October. Was that you too?

WriterMomto3
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
So, it seems that Nick indeed works for Fletcher.

James D. Macdonald
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Then we have this (http://www.summityourlife.com/?p=2230), a big-ol' shout-out from "Nick Caruso" to a minor celebrity vanity-published by Eloquent books.

So, "Nick," when you said you were "seeking advice...looking for options, help, alternatives" you were plain old-fashioned lying, weren't you?

What are you doing here? Trying to find out from us what the State of Florida has on you Bobby?

Gravity
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Gads, I love teh intertoobz. Just sayin'.

WriterMomto3
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
"Nick" certainly is a proponent of Fletcher's. Perhaps Fletcher is still paying his employees to post positive things about his companies?

Medievalist
02-23-2011, 08:09 PM
So, it seems that Nick indeed works for Fletcher.

Not necessarily. Occam's Razor and what not.

WriterMomto3
02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Of course you're right, Medievalist. I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Monkey
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Some people don't have to be paid to shill.

James D. Macdonald
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Folks who are interested in what happened to Bobby in his "NYC_Writer_001" false-nose-and-moustache rig can look here. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6750095#post6750095)

SandyArnold
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
After reading a warning from this site, I checked it out myself and want to publish the result:

This is my e-mail to the Florida Attorney General:

I recently filled out an online request form to have my work considered by the below listed literary agents. They have replied and requested that I send my manuscript. I did so and then did an online search on this agency. I came up with your name and the information that you are investigating and/or possibly prosecuting them for fraud. Is this information correct?

Thank you.

Sandra Arnold

About SBPRA - Strategic Book Publishing & Rights Agency
Our company is thriving in today's evolving world of publishing simply
because we are perfectly situated between a literary rights agency and a
publishing company with global reach.

Here is their reply:

Randi Shapiro Randi.Shapiro@myfloridalegal.com

May 16 (1 day ago)

Dear Sandra,
I apologize for not getting back to you on this,. Apparently it was in my
spam folder. Yes this company is under investigation and a lawsuit has been
filed by the State of Florida. You may view this complaint on our website
at Myfloridalegal.com If you put Writers Literary in the search bar you
will be able to pull up the complaint. I hope that I was able to address
your questions. And thank you for contacting the Office of the Attorney
General Pam Bondi for assistance.
Randi Shapiro MS., CFE.
Financial Investigator
Economic Crimes Division
Office of the Attorney General
110 SE 6th Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
954-712-4600
Fax 954 527-3708

C. K. Casner
03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
I have not contacted SBPRA since I filed a complaint with the Florida AG and yet I received an unsolicited royalty check in the mail this morning.

Could this civil suit possibly be drawing to a close?

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, just curious.

victoriastrauss
05-14-2014, 02:23 AM
Fletcher et al. have signed a Stipulated Settlement Agreement, in which they don't admit to any guilt but must submit to a number of fairly onerous conditions--including payment of $125,000 in author reparations (plus a $10,000 penalty for missing the payment deadline). The lawsuit will be dismissed only if the payments are made in full.

More at Writer Beware's blog (http://www.accrispin.blogspot.com/2014/05/robert-fletcher-of-sbpra-to-pay-author.html).

- Victoria

Frederick Preston
02-04-2015, 02:40 AM
How does one make a claim against Fletcher et al?