PDA

View Full Version : So why is it

Melisande
09-03-2009, 05:40 AM
that atheists do not meet up and 'congregate'?

Wouldn't we benefit from having our own recignized discussion forums meeting places and magazines, just like any kind of religious group?

Seems to me that 'going to Church on Sunday' is a highly respected thing to do. Why shouldn't (wouldn't-couldn't) atheists have the same kind of gathering place to meet and talk about OTHER stuff than religion - like fundamental truths as WE perceive them; philosophy; personal jouneys; spirituality outside the religious arena.

Why don't we? And if we do - please tell me where!

AMCrenshaw
09-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Hard to rally behind nonbelief -- when there is a significant number of atheists and a significant number of atheists that are both close in proximity (referring to non-cyber interactions here) and in positive thought we may very well see more atheistic congregations.

AMC

Ruv Draba
09-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm with AMC, Mel. A culture is built by people who have common ground, setting aside their differences and sacrificing to perpetuate something bigger than themselves. Atheism alone isn't a basis for common ground so it's not a seed for culture.

When I look at my home ground, I think that it relates to compassion and reason being put above dogma and superstition. It turns out that this ground isn't shared by all atheists, and some who share it are theists. In every religion I've encountered people who think as I do; it's just that they don't dominate in many faiths. A lot of the time I'd rather hang with tolerant theists than intolerant atheists, say.

I share your feeling though. I think it's important that people have some sort of fellowship regardless of their beliefs. Perhaps a good starting point is what you do believe in. So, bluntly: what is it? :D

zornhau
09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Humanists do.

Higgins
09-03-2009, 04:11 PM
They do meet up and do things together. At least they did 40 years ago in New Mexico.

stephenf
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I think Atheists,or people who believe they are Atheists, find it hard to find a common ground.The word has too many emotive and misunderstood ides attached to it. For instance, I shudder,no offence Melisande, at the idea of congregating to discus spirituality.It just sounds like a half hearted religion. May be if you could define your own philosophy more clearly and give it a new name you would have a better chance of meeting like minded people.

Higgins
09-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I think Atheists,or people who believe they are Atheists, find it hard to find a common ground.The word has too many emotive and misunderstood ides attached to it. For instance, I shudder,no offence Melisande, at the idea of congregating to discus spirituality.It just sounds like a half hearted religion. May be if you could define your own philosophy more clearly and give it a new name you would have a better chance of meeting like minded people.

It's true. Since I have become a strict Shinto Agronomist I heve met no like-minded people. This is because no one has the mind of a Shinto Agronomist, not even me.
I have met a few people with unusually large lung capacities lately, but I hope this has nothing to do with my new religious orientation.

MGraybosch
09-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Why don't we? And if we do - please tell me where!

I might be an atheist, but I speak only for myself when I ask the following: Why in the names of all the demons ever worshiped by man would I want to get together with other atheists just to talk about how we don't believe in gods?

I think that that's boring. That's a waste of time. That's the sort of thing religious people do, in order to reinforce the groupthink. I don't care if it's respectable when religious people do it; I want no part of it.

veinglory
09-04-2009, 12:55 AM
For the same reason there aren't clubs for people who don't do yoga.

Ruv Draba
09-04-2009, 01:06 AM
For the same reason there aren't clubs for people who don't do yoga.I want to join that club!
http://carrieanddanielle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/funny_yoga.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RqSQZD9WHYI/AAAAAAAALkI/Qr8i0nU0W70/s400/yoga.jpg

veinglory
09-04-2009, 01:10 AM
LOL. One of the benefits of giving up religion, or yoga for that matter, is that it frees up some time in your week.

MGraybosch
09-04-2009, 01:14 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RqSQZD9WHYI/AAAAAAAALkI/Qr8i0nU0W70/s400/yoga.jpg

That's not how you do a 69.

Melisande
09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
So, bluntly: what is it? :D

Equally bluntly - nothing!

Melisande
09-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Well, thing is that I don't really believe in anything. I do, however, earnestly believe that atheists are not excluded from the "spiritual" world of perception and insight. Reason for this argument is that I have such a hard time accepting the notion that atheists are emotionally 'dead'.

In my world (perhaps not shared by too many others), an atheist is just as emphatical as anybody else. In short; a person willing to share sympathy, empathy, substancial aid in terms of good-will; monetary aid and whatever qualities are usually subscribed to Christians only.

I firmly believe that if the religious groups on this planet feel that they have cornered the market of 'spiritualism', then where does that leave me?

I ponder life, death, philosophy, spirituality and what have you, just as anybody else. What separates me from 'religious' people. or 'believers' in some kind of 'higher authority", is the fact that I ponder these things from a different point of view. I try and look at life as it is; primitive, non-negotional and somehow ultimate.

I do not see why people could not sit down and talk about their life experiances in a manner that does not include 'devine intervention'.

I don't know if other atheists feel the way I do; one reason being that I have nowhere to meet up with them, but I DO feel that I have a had experiances enough to have developed a spiritual approach to life itself, without having to subscibe to some kind of pre-written template.

MGraybosch
09-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I firmly believe that if the religious groups on this planet feel that they have cornered the market of 'spiritualism', then where does that leave me?

If believers have cornered the market on "legitimate" spirituality, then you and I partake of "bootleg" spirituality. I find meaning through my work; I don't need a divine plan to give my life meaning when I am capable of deciding upon a purpose for myself.

As I sometimes tell Christians who want to convert me: "I don't need to be saved. I don't need a divine plan. I don't need your god."

Melisande
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I might be an atheist, but I speak only for myself when I ask the following: Why in the names of all the demons ever worshiped by man would I want to get together with other atheists just to talk about how we don't believe in gods?

I think that that's boring. That's a waste of time. That's the sort of thing religious people do, in order to reinforce the groupthink. I don't care if it's respectable when religious people do it; I want no part of it.

I get where you are coming from. But I still think (just having moved to the very core of the US Bible Belt) that it would have been nice to see a sign NOT saying; "Believe in Christ or ELSE!!!" - That sign representing the (only) way to approach the community.

Still I am convinced that there must be a group here of individuals sharing my thoughts. Where would I find them, though, without a common meeting place???

MGraybosch
09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I get where you are coming from. But I still think (just having moved to the very core of the US Bible Belt) that it would have been nice to see a sign NOT saying; "Believe in Christ or ELSE!!!" - That sign representing the (only) way to approach the community.

Well, all I can say is that the First Amendment can be a pain in the ass; it even allows demon-ridden bigots of the "Accept Christ or burn in Hell" school to have a say. Unfortunately, the more reasonable Christians aren't willing to lay the smack down on the bacon-loving Pharisees who give Christianity as a whole a bad name.

I recently moved to Pennsylvania, myself, and while it's not the Bible Belt, religion is more publicly prominent here than I am used to in New York and Connecticut. I simply react to invitations to come to church by saying, "Thanks, but I am not a churchgoing man." I try to avoid using the word "atheist", but if a believer forces my hand they will suffer for having done so.

As far as I'm concerned, freedom of religion also means freedom from religion. I don't wait for the government to give me that freedom; I take it with my own hands as my rightful due.

Still I am convinced that there must be a group here of individuals sharing my thoughts. Where would I find them, though, without a common meeting place???

You already did. It's called the Internet. Unfortunately, that's likely to be the best you can do in the US.

Ruv Draba
09-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, thing is that I don't really believe in anything. I do, however, earnestly believe that atheists are not excluded from the "spiritual" world of perception and insight. Reason for this argument is that I have such a hard time accepting the notion that atheists are emotionally 'dead'.

In my world (perhaps not shared by too many others), an atheist is just as emphatical as anybody else. In short; a person willing to share sympathy, empathy, substancial aid in terms of good-will; monetary aid and whatever qualities are usually subscribed to Christians only.Theists don't have a monopoly on compassion, conscience or morality. I've been arguing elsewhere that these are things better developed by enquiry than set in the cement of dogma.

Theists don't have a monopoly on joy, delight, awe or ecstasy. Those things come from the arts -- sometimes with religious subjects, sometimes not.

But if you want to explore compassion, conscience and ethics, you'll likely want to hang with philosophers. For experiences of joy etc... you'll hang with artists and crafters. But only some of the aforementioned are atheistic, and theists produce a lot of good non-dogmatic thought about compassion, conscience and ethics, and one helluva lot of beautiful art. And there's more of them of course -- so their availability and output are higher. :)

As a humanist I enjoy the company of secular and sectarian humanists. I also enjoy the company of philosohers and artists -- even when I disagree with them half the time.

I DO feel that I have a had experiances enough to have developed a spiritual approach to life itself, without having to subscibe to some kind of pre-written template.Course you do. I'd draw your attention to the name of this forum. :)

So why not write about it here?

Melisande
09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
As far as I'm concerned, freedom of religion also means freedom from religion. I don't wait for the government to give me that freedom; I take it with my own hands as my rightful due.

You already did. It's called the Internet. Unfortunately, that's likely to be the best you can do in the US.

And how sad is that on a scale????

Ruv Draba
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
And how sad is that on a scale????Some cultures aren't known for loving philosopy. My homeland of Australia is one and perhaps the US is another. On the other hand, I've been caught in the rain at a bus-stop in Marseilles and had a Frenchman talk to me about Nietzsche while we were waiting for the rain to ease. He spoke only French and I spoke only English. Somehow we both exited the conversation thinking that we'd made sense to the other. :)

A few weeks ago I was in New Caledonia -- a French possession -- and noticed something very surprising. With a beachful of topless female sunbathers, a lot of guys (gals too) were reading.

http://library.virtualnorfolk.org/public_documents/0222BF6D-000F8513.0/books.jpg
>
http://www.fun-on.com/img/Maxi_Mounds.jpg

stephenf
09-04-2009, 12:49 PM
[quote=Melisande;4004969]. Reason for this argument is that I have such a hard time accepting the notion that atheists are emotionally 'dead'.

You don't have to accept this idea,because it's not true. I believe the core idea of being a Atheist is being open minded and finding joy in knowledge.Emotionally dead people are the opposite.

Dawnstorm
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
He spoke only French and I spoke only English. Somehow we both exited the conversation thinking that we'd made sense to the other.

That must be the best analogy ever to explain philosophy. :D

MGraybosch
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
And how sad is that on a scale????

It's not sad to me; it's just life.

Perks
09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
that atheists do not meet up and 'congregate'?

Why don't we? And if we do - please tell me where!Don't be silly. One of the top benefits of being an atheist is the ability to sleep in on Sunday mornings.

AMCrenshaw
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
For instance, I shudder,no offence Melisande, at the idea of congregating to discus spirituality.It just sounds like a half hearted religion.

i take part in such a weekly discussion - an ecumenical one (we get a whole range of thought involved: protestants, catholics, muslims, jews, atheists, agnostics, deists, buddhists -- no Shinto Agronomists). half-hearted religion? perhaps if you mean a religion with no central faith, doctrine, or dogma -- then yeah, sure.

semilargeintestine
09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Don't be silly. One of the top benefits of being an atheist is the ability to sleep in on Sunday mornings.

Jews sleep in on Sunday mornings too. ;)

Perks
09-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Jews sleep in on Sunday mornings too. ;)

Yeah, but you can't eat at weird intervals. And you have too many pots and pans. Far too complicated.

;)

semilargeintestine
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, but you can't eat at weird intervals. And you have too many pots and pans. Far too complicated.

;)

My whole house is dairy, so I eat when I want, and I only have one set of dishes. Much less complicated. :D

Higgins
09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
i take part in such a weekly discussion - an ecumenical one (we get a whole range of thought involved: protestants, catholics, muslims, jews, atheists, agnostics, deists, buddhists -- no Shinto Agronomists). half-hearted religion? perhaps if you mean a religion with no central faith, doctrine, or dogma -- then yeah, sure.

I've been hanging out lately with a mixed bag of atheists and actual Shinto-ians, yoga-ians and some wannabe pagans. I guess a lot of what comes up has some spiritual or aesthetic side to it. The discussions don't seem any more half-hearted than most evaluative schemes...indeed with no definite christians around, discussions seem freer and funnier when they touch on deeper principles involved in knowing what is good or bad or worthwhile or cool or strange (some yoga practices where indicated as being a bit odd last time).

stephenf
09-04-2009, 09:32 PM
perhaps if you mean a religion with no central faith, doctrine, or dogma -- then yeah, sure.

I think your interpretation is reasonable.I'm happy to talk to any anybody about ,almost ,any thing and possibly may enjoy attending one of your meeting.However, is this an Atheist meeting ?

AMCrenshaw
09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
No! People sitting around talking about spirituality.

Higgins
09-06-2009, 08:30 PM

I've always felt that as something of an atheist (though not a strict one) and a strict CINO and an extremely strict (ironclad moral compass set to zero) Shinto Agronomist, that it was always via the openness of an atheistic view that I've had all of my spiritual excesses. After all, if you are convinced Diety A is all there is...what happens when Diety B lets you in on something? OR Diety C tries to kill you etc. etc. etc.?
You probably have to have some atheistic feelings about Diety A or you cannot get much out of any number of other possible Divine Beings (who are no more or less there than Diety A).

Ruv Draba
09-09-2009, 11:00 PM
If a Deity is a god, then presumably a Diety is a skinny god with few worshippers. Are the gods of Shinto Agronomy emancipated? I mean, emaciated?

Higgins
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
If a Deity is a god, then presumably a Diety is a skinny god with few worshippers. Are the gods of Shinto Agronomy emancipated? I mean, emaciated?

Deity, deity...see I can spell if I try....though let's face it "agronomy" is as much a toss up as deity/diety almost every time.
No, the gods of Shinto Agronomy are not inherently dieting deities. At least they aren't on strict diets. But sometimes they are just poles in sheds surrounded by white pebbles:

In Japan, the mysterious forces of nature, called ke, were believed to permeate palpable matter and formless space (collectively called mono in Japanese) to create mononoke. Mononoke was seen to coalesce in trees and stones. Certain trees, especially the cryptomeria (cone bearing pine trees) and the evergreen sakaki, were considered sacred for this reason. When one of these trees was felled and the wood used in the construction of a shrine, this sacred quality was believed to follow it into the building. The sacred tree itself was literally and symbolically present in the form of a pillar or post around which the shrine was constructed.

The great Shinto shrine at Ise is built amid a dense forest of giant cryptomeria trees next to the Isuzu River at the foot of Mount Kamiji and Mount Shimaji in the Mie Prefecture in southern Honshu, Japan.

Crossing the Uji Bridge and passing through the large torii gate marking the entrance to the shrine, a long path leads to Ise Jingu (Ise Grand Shrine).

The shrine consists of two groups of buildings: the Imperial Shrine (Kotai Jingu), also known as the Naiku (inner shrine), and the Toyouke Shrine (Toyouke Daijingu ) which constitutes the Geku or outer shrine. The Naiku is dedicated to the Sun Goddess Amaterasu Omikami (Heaven-Illuminating Great Deity), and the Geku to the Goddess of Cereals Toyouke Omikami (Abundant Food Great Deity). Each shrine is composed of a number of buildings, including ancillary shrines, workshops, storehouses, etc. Each shrine has an inner precinct with a main sanctuary and two attendant shrines, as well as treasuries, fences, and gates.

Both shrines are constructed of wood, and every twenty years both are totally rebuilt on an adjoining site. The empty site of the previous shrine (called the kodenchi) is strewn with large white pebbles. The only building on the empty site, which retains its sacredness for the intervening twenty years, is a small wooden shed or hut (oi-ya) inside of which is a post about seven feet high known as shin-no-mihashira (literally the august column of the heart, or more freely translated as sacred central post). The new shrine will be erected over and around this post which are the holiest and most mysterious objects in the Ise Shrine. They remain hidden at all times.

http://www.goddess-project.net/new/index.php?newsid=191

Ruv Draba
09-11-2009, 05:42 AM
I thought they were Japanese deities, but now you're saying they're Polish?

Higgins
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought they were Japanese deities, but now you're saying they're Polish?

Shinto Poles.

Melisande
09-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I've always felt that as something of an atheist (though not a strict one) and a strict CINO and an extremely strict (ironclad moral compass set to zero) Shinto Agronomist, that it was always via the openness of an atheistic view that I've had all of my spiritual excesses. After all, if you are convinced Diety A is all there is...what happens when Diety B lets you in on something? OR Diety C tries to kill you etc. etc. etc.?
You probably have to have some atheistic feelings about Diety A or you cannot get much out of any number of other possible Divine Beings (who are no more or less there than Diety A).

Now, this is very weird to me. A CINO, as I have understood is a "Christian In Name Only". But I am not a CINO. I'm not a 'loose' Christian, or any kind of 'fallen' former believer. As a matter of fact I really couldn't care less if believer A thinks that believer B has gotten it wrong. I am an atheist! I don't believe! Period.

All I wanted with this thread was to ask why people like me; stone cold, hard atheists, don't have a meeting place. We should, you know! Have one. If nothing else to piss off all who have their churches.

MGraybosch
09-12-2009, 08:43 AM
stone cold, hard atheists, don't have a meeting place. We should, you know! Have one.

If you can't find one, make one. I won't try to stop you as long as you don't expect me to show up. :)

Melisande
09-12-2009, 08:58 AM
If you can't find one, make one. I won't try to stop you as long as you don't expect me to show up. :)

You are sooo right.:Hug2: I might, you know, if I ever get to stay in one place long enough.

Dommo
09-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I think having meeting groups for atheists/agnostics would be a good thing.

As depressing as it is, being a known atheist does open you up to persecution in this country. Knowing that there are others in a similar position is helpful, and being able to band together when faced with harassment or other forms of discrimination is very useful.

MGraybosch
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
You are sooo right.:Hug2: I might, you know, if I ever get to stay in one place long enough.

I have to admit that after reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that I was a little hesitant about suggesting that you start your own group. That suggestion didn't turn out too well for Kyon. :)

Higgins
09-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Now, this is very weird to me. A CINO, as I have understood is a "Christian In Name Only". But I am not a CINO. I'm not a 'loose' Christian, or any kind of 'fallen' former believer. As a matter of fact I really couldn't care less if believer A thinks that believer B has gotten it wrong. I am an atheist! I don't believe! Period.

All I wanted with this thread was to ask why people like me; stone cold, hard atheists, don't have a meeting place. We should, you know! Have one. If nothing else to piss off all who have their churches.

I thought atheists simply didn't believe that "existence" was one of the attributes of some god or other. Surely the non-existence of x number of gods is no surprise to anyone -- least of all atheists. As to whether thinking some set of gods doesn't exist precludes all other beliefs...I don't see why. Surely it is just as reasonable to say an atheist believes in everything except the attribute of "existence" for a set of gods.
Indeed this is why the accusation of "atheist" can be leveled at almost anyone since there is some subset of gods that almost everyone doesn't bother fitting into the existential flow.
Hence all atheists should be meeting and celebrating the vast range of their spiritual experiences (or non-spiritual experiences) since in theory the universe that they find credible and plausible by far exceeds the size of the universe they find implausible or incredible (ie some paultry existential attributes for some rather vague set of gods).

Roger J Carlson
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM

All I wanted with this thread was to ask why people like me; stone cold, hard atheists, don't have a meeting place. We should, you know! Have one. If nothing else to piss off all who have their churches.Have you looked into Unitarian Universalism (http://www.uua.org/aboutus/index.shtml)? My understanding is that a belief in God is not required

Higgins
09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Sometimes the collateral costs of belong to something because it has "church" in its name may be too much. For example, the Church of the Subgenius is perhaps too much to take just to be in a "Church":
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Bobdobbs.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Bobdobbs.png)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Subgenius

MGraybosch
09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Sometimes the collateral costs of belong to something because it has "church" in its name may be too much. For example, the Church of the Subgenius is perhaps too much to take just to be in a "Church":

There's always Discordianism. There are no gods but the goddess, and she is your goddess; you can do what you like with her. (I like to be gentle with her, myself.)

Higgins
09-14-2009, 09:04 PM
There's always Discordianism. There are no gods but the goddess, and she is your goddess; you can do what you like with her. (I like to be gentle with her, myself.)

I only know about Discordianism from the days I used to play some Steve Jackson games with the Illuminati in
NYC back in the 80s...

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/

Melisande
09-16-2009, 05:57 AM

That is not really what I meant. I kind of thought that ionstead of trying to join the Eagles or the Elks or whatever, where they have as one of their criterias that you believe in a 'superior being', pure atheists might have some kind og alternate common ground where these kind of questions where not asked.

A sort of Eagles, Elks or what have you, where a person would be accepted, welcomed and integrated no matter what; A place where human values would be honored.

Well, stupid me for wishing for Utopia!

MGraybosch
09-16-2009, 06:04 AM
That is not really what I meant. I kind of thought that ionstead of trying to join the Eagles or the Elks or whatever, where they have as one of their criterias that you believe in a 'superior being'

But the "superior being" requirement is easily dealt with in my case. I just point to my wife.

Melisande
09-16-2009, 06:09 AM

Something like that, but essentially I meant I place where to go where you'd expect everyone to be very open-minded

AMCrenshaw
09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Something like that, but essentially I meant I place where to go where you'd expect everyone to be very open-minded

Why would you go if you didn't plan to go with an open mind?

AMC

Melisande
09-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Why would you go if you didn't plan to go with an open mind?

AMC

Well, I'd go almost anywhere because I have an open mind. BUT, I might not be welcomed everywhere for that same reason.

I would be great to be able to go anywhere without the question of 'faith', for the sole reason that 'faith' is not always a guide as to who you are.

pink lily
09-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Wouldn't we benefit from having our own recignized discussion forums meeting places and magazines, just like any kind of religious group?

... Why don't we? And if we do - please tell me where!
I think having meeting groups for atheists/agnostics would be a good thing.

Just google your town/area with each of the following keywords: atheist, agnostic, humanist, secular, freethinker, freethought, nonbelief.

Also, see if there is an Atheists Meetup near you. These are purely social events (usually) with no relation to any organized group (usually). http://atheists.meetup.com You can also run your own Meetup for $10 a month, which you can PM me about.

If you would like more info, please PM me your location and I can probably help you find something near you.

Don't forget that membership in national atheist groups may also help put you in touch with local members.