PDA

View Full Version : Need proof-reader for week of 09/14

Sassee
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm not really sure this is where I need to post, but I have a favor to ask...

One of my Profs is a published author and stated from day 1 that all of our papers needed to basically be damn near perfect. I already know the final paper and presentation (a group thing) is going to have me tearing my eyeballs out, because I read right over basic grammatical errors and leave participles dangling all over the place at whim. I can't crit for nit-picky things to save my life. Plus, my group partners have basically summed up their proof-reading skills as "we're not English majors."

So... would anyone want to volunteer to be Simon Cowell for that week and rip apart our final paper? It will probably be a good sized paper. 8-10 pages is my guess. The class is Global Business Issues and our chosen country is India. We're introducing a new product to the Indian market (not really but for the paper we are) and need to analyze pros/cons of going into the market, what difficulties we'll face, etc etc. Not terribly interesting but I can at least promise the writing won't be dry. I can't stand to read dry papers so I don't write them that way.

Volunteers? I would be willing to reader-style critique one (or maybe several) WIPs in return, or help you brainstorm, or whatever else I could help you with (within reason... I'm not flying out to help you clean your house, kk?)

Pretty please? :2angel:

DeleyanLee
09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Just a suggestion--before you hand the paper over, read it aloud first. You'll find a lot of the obvious errors in the grammar, etc, by reading it aloud.

Good luck finding someone competent. I don't qualify. ;)

Sassee
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Just a suggestion--before you hand the paper over, read it aloud first. You'll find a lot of the obvious errors in the grammar, etc, by reading it aloud.

The problem with this method is that I tend to write like I speak... so, for instance, I'll substitute "that" in place of "who" ("he was the one that ate the cake" etc) and call a single person "their" so I don't have to say he/she. There are a lot of things that sound perfectly fine when you speak them but aren't grammatically correct. Those kinds of errors are my worst offenders. (And, at this stage, I'm not sure what my partners' writing styles are like)

Good luck finding someone competent. I don't qualify. ;)

lol!

bobcat22
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Sassee:

A method that I found works for reading out loud work and not replacing the mistakes as you read is to start with the last sentence in a paragraph. Read backward, one sentence at a time. You're still listening to the sound of the sentence to catch mistakes, but you're not reading it in order, so you won't replace words. It's a really easy and good way to proofread your own work.

GordonK
09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
1. Business (proposal) writing is totally different from creative writing. For example, there can not be ambiguities (except when politics are involved.) They kind of have fixed formats. Eg the first paragraph has to summarize the theme and likely the proposed actions. CEOs/MDs are very busy people.

2. Business writing usually can not be written in a personal manner. The only time you write "I", it's a firm recommendation or dismissal of something. One instance of "You know" and chances are you'll be fired/demoted the next day.

3. Writing business proposals has nothing to do with being English majors. Granted, grammars and styles have to be flawless. But flowery proses won't make it to the CEO. They are usually boring and ugly stuff with the same trade jargon spreading all over.

4. Grab a grammar Nazi as a helping hand. I am not, so I can't be of help. However if you also want a pair of extra eyes to go through your papers, you can count me in (providing you'd e-wash my e-car.)

Sassee
09-03-2009, 09:51 PM
GordonK -- An extra pair of eyes would be really helpful. I might take you up on that offer.

And if anyone knows someone that's a grammar Nazi please send them my way!

Tsu Dho Nimh
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I volunteer!

8-10 pages is a short paper.

Chase
09-04-2009, 03:25 AM
You had me ready to volunteer right up to "grammar Nazi."

I taught high school and college English for a quarter of a century, paid to endure insults by the surlier less skilled. Oh, I realize it's always in fun. Yeah . . . right.

But when it's a favor? Nah!

I'm the same way with needy cats and dogs. I feel impelled to offer a hand to pet or feed, but when I get hisses and snarls, I know we're both better off going our separate ways.

Sassee
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I volunteer!

8-10 pages is a short paper.

:hooray:

Sassee
09-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Anyone seen Tsu Dho Nimh around?

Just in case, is there anyone else willing to proof read this thing by Sunday?