I'm getting a baby shower!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am so happy I am going to :cry:!

I don't have a really close relationship with my MIL, but she just emailed me and said she wants to throw me a baby shower!

I know, this probably sounds really stupid, but honestly I didn't think I would get one at all. I've barely registered because I know just a few relatives will buy us stuff... I don't have many female friends, and the ones I do have are all in different parts of the US. When I got married, my husband knew he had to have 3 guys for his wedding party, and it was a challenge for me to find 3 ladies to fill out my side. Obviously I didn't get a wedding shower then. (My maid of honor barely showed up.)

I have tried so hard to make friends where we live now and I really wanted to have some girlfriends before I got pregnant, but it just hasn't happened, so when I found out I was expecting I knew I had nobody to throw me a shower.

So this is like... :cry: What's more, my MIL lives in the perfect place... I will have to travel about 8 hours to get there, but she lives right in the middle of a radius of three of my far-flung friends, so now I can invite them! Plus my mom and my grandma, too.

:cry:

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so happy for you!! and a little baby, that's wonderful!! Congrats!!

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to wear an umbrella, babies have hard heads. :D

Seriously... Congratulations! :e2bear:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
It'll be fun! Enjoy yourself.

Haha, when I - full of surprise - told my husband what his mom had emailed, he was like, "Um, are you mad? Do you feel insulted or something?"

I was like, "No! I'm touched! I'm so happy I'm about to cry!"

(Apparently this expression is so rare he's never seen it. ;))

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Yay! I'm so happy for you!
dancing-baby.jpg

Just be careful of the games. Some of the games I've seen at baby showers... *shudder*

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, and congratulations.

It sounds like a good omen that the relationship with your MIL is warming up.
A new baby in the family can make all the difference.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Your old friends, too?! That'll be the most fun :D Congrats!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Y'lknow, there's no reason you can't invite male friends and have Hubby at the shower... the BEST baby shower I have ever been to was my Hubby's best friend's. It was a party, with NO ONE excluded, that celebrated the impending doom birth. The daddy was there because it's his child and he wanted to be involved. It was a relaxed party with some baby themed stuff and just a great celebration with ALL their friend and family.

I fully intend when I procreate, to include Hubby and other husbands.

Jo, if you went this route, you could invite your male friends, too. If they are close friends, they will want to come to celebrate your baby with you at a party.

Congrats-- and remember, just because something is tradition (like excluding men from the celebration of the coming baby) doesn't mean it has to stay that way. =)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Congrats-- and remember, just because something is tradition (like excluding men from the celebration of the coming baby) doesn't mean it has to stay that way. =)

Clair - you make a good point. I do have lots of male friends where I live. However, it gets kind of awkward since 1) I'd have to throw the shower myself, and 2) my guy friends are my husband's coworkers. We all hang out together and play games and such... however, all the guys are married or in long-term relationships (with women who apparently don't share their interests?). So it would be really weird to invite them... a bunch of guys I hang out with, plus their SO's I barely know. ;)

But now that you mention it maybe my husband and my dad could be invited to the baby shower. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun! And pray you don't have to play the what-flavor-chocolate-is-melted-in-this-diaper-to-simulate-poop game. :D

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
First of all congratulations on being pregnant.

Second, congratulations on grabbing some new mates.