PDA

View Full Version : meat locker lights

Ruth2
09-02-2009, 02:16 AM
In commercial meat lockers, is there a light inside the unit? If so, is it turned on manually or is it on automatically?

Thanks y'all!

Chase
09-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Ruth,

I'll bet it's different depending on who constructed the walk-in locker, and I'm sure city and state codes come into play.

However, I stored my elk, deer, fish, and birds at a commercial locker in Montana, where a light switch was outside the main door. Once, while I was inside, I had left the door cracked open. Someone shut the door and switched off the light, so I had to feel my way to the door where there was an emergency push bar to open it from the inside.

Here in Oregon, there are switches inside and out beside both doors (plus emergency levers to open both doors) at the commercial locker where I store frozen goods.

Chase

BigWords
09-02-2009, 02:57 AM
From the walk-in freezers I have been in (in UK supermarkets) there is a standard lightswitch (plastic, not metal) at the inside of the sliding door. There may be ones made with automatic lights but I haven't seen them.

Synonym
09-02-2009, 03:03 AM
The older one that used to be in our little town had a switch outside the door, much like Chase described.

spike
09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
In the production kitchens I worked in, the light switch was inside.

Ruth2
09-02-2009, 06:14 AM
The main thing is that there are supposed to be light of some sort. Yay!

Thanks all of you for your input! It is most helpful and greatly appreciated.