70 Upcoming Horror Film Remakes

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What burns my butt is that with all the great new stories, like the ones I have seen in our own SYW, they have to do something that has already been done. Many of them very well.

Hollywood needs some new folks in charge. IMHO

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Remakes of Creature From the Black Lagoon and The Thing could be potentially good if Fox aren't allowed to screw with them. The current crop of Fox execs have to die, because they are killing the industry. Compare the films Fox made in the 70's, now look at the ones today. There is no art to them any more, just exploitative garbage. Put it this way: TRANSFORMERS wouldn't have got made if it was Fox.

Creature was a pretty good premise let down with ridiculous costume (it wasn't even scary in the 50's for gods sake). The Thing has a deep vein of paranoia and insecurity that is almost as appropriate now as it was in the Cold War.

Martyrs: Fox has picked up the rights to remake Martyrs originally directed by Pascal Laugier. The original film is highly disturbing and tells the story of a catatonic girl who spent her life incarcerated.

NOOOOOOOOO

Hollywood needs some new folks in charge. IMHO

If people stopped watching bad movies, Hollywood would start making good movies quick. If you want to watch original cinema Hollywood is not the place to go to, apart from some very rare occurences. It's always been like this, however.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
(Can't click on link at work.)

They're remaking The Thing--again?! *tears hair* The Howard Hawks version was all kinds of awesome--and so was the Kurt Russell version. AARRGGHH! *runs around the thread screaming*

I am *not* clicking that link tonight.

Hollywood, MAKE SOMETHING NEW AND ORIGINAL PLEASE!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is an impressive list. Impressive that the author compiled it, not impressive that people are remaking the movies. Honestly, some of these movies can't be improved upon. Army of Darkness? Ghostbusters? Rocky Horror? What could possibly make them better?

Others on the list are generically lousy and we don't need more of them.

The world could use another Scream or Nightmare on Elm Street sequel. They aren't genius, but I think they lend themselves well to serializing. Freddy vs. Jason was genius, and so was Jason X (Friday the 13th...In Space!).

They really need to do Freddy vs. Jason. vs. Michael Myers vs. Ash vs. Alien vs. Predator vs. Batman, set in Steampunk Victorian England, Jude Law as narrator. They'd sweep the Oscars, I tells ya! Best horror movie evah!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, pretty much, they're remaking everything. That's easier to handle, I think.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
re: Martyrs

I can't believe they're even considering releasing this to an American audience. I bet they end up doing something like what they did with the Keifer Sutherland version of The Vanishing.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
At least they're leaving most of the Asian classics alone now, it seems (except for Host, unfortunately).

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
At least they're leaving most of the Asian classics alone now, it seems (except for Host, unfortunately).

Battle Royal. Although again, that has potential of being awesome. As long as they get rid of the sappy ending and have the same briefing video (in Japanese) and Takeshi Kitano (again, in Japanese).

The problem with most of these is not the idea, it is that the studio gets over involved in it, taking control away from the director. The scripts usually go through three or four revisions and thus lose any coherence. Fact is, a lot of the directors are actually very good. The director of the Predator remake, Nimrod Antal is a brilliant Hungarian director, but the film is still going to be awful. The director of Tsotsi directed Wolverine.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monster Squad actually wouldn't bother me if it was more of a sequel than a remake.

You have to figure though a lot of those are just being talked about or just have rights purchased, with nothing even close to real development or production yet.

Some other stuff on that list isn't even horror (Inglourious Basterds) and is a remake in vague concept only.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
JComp - I agree. I'd like to see a sequel of sorts, but not an actual remake.

And you're right, some of those listed are reboots (such as the new Scream trilogy), rather than complete remakes.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Creature was a pretty good premise let down with ridiculous costume (it wasn't even scary in the 50's for gods sake).

I beg to disagree. Did you see it in the 50s? Did you see it in the 50s as Jack Arnold intended it to be seen, in 3-D? I saw it flat in the 60s, in 3-D in the 70s and again in the 90s, and yes, it was scary even in my dotage when seen as it ought to be seen.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I saw the thing "flat" in the late 60's, as a small child. It wasn't scary, to me. But then, scary to me is a weird lot. Ever seen the old B&W "Carnival of Souls"? I can't explain why that one creeped me out, and still does.

In light of today's politics and rampant political correctness, Inglourious Basterds being remade was a surprise, to me.

Not that I had any real point with this post. Just rambling while a lab boots up.

:)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I beg to disagree. Did you see it in the 50s? Did you see it in the 50s as Jack Arnold intended it to be seen, in 3-D? I saw it flat in the 60s, in 3-D in the 70s and again in the 90s, and yes, it was scary even in my dotage when seen as it ought to be seen.
I just think Creature's a cool movie monster, in general, flat or in 3D (seen both).

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
By How To Kill A Child, I assume they mean Who Can Kill A Child? I think it might be good to remake this, because more people will learn about the original, which is a excellent movie.

I am not bothered about the Children Of The Corn remake, because it will still be a movie about rural villagers who practice ritual sacrifice for crops, and filled with malevolent children! Two of my favorite things in horror.

The Battle Royale pisses me off. It is an ultra-violent action movie, but it has touches of dark humor, and moments that make me cry. It is the most beautiful film I have ever seen. I don't usually get defensive about remakes, but this is one time when I will. It is a masterpiece. The only way I would be okay with a remake would be if I got to be in it, because I would love to play any of those characters.

The rest are kinda okay, but it's more like Why Bother? in most cases.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Nothing could ever top the awesomeness that is Robot Monster.

They could always remake The Screaming Skull, Attack of the Giant Leeches, and The Crawling Hand. Now that's a trifecta. Then bring back Mike and the bots from MST3K to riff on them, and we're talking paradise on celluloid, friends!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I just found this thread and read some of the re-makes. I know a lot of people dislike re-makes/re-boots, re-loads, whatever you want to call them. However I think they're being re-done for the MTV generation/Generation X. For instance Prom Night the new one was PG-13....My Bloody Valentine 3-D wasn't as good as the original. But still!!

Now I heard the Funhouse is in development and that one I'd love to see re-done..make it closer to the novel...As for the others...well we shall see

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking the list with a grain of salt. Lots of those were "thinking about", "trying to get the project off the ground", "working on a script".

Some of those won't be seen for years, if ever. Like second-hand vacuums -- some will suck, some will not.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
This is kind of an old list - Last House on The Left and Inglorious Basterds have bowed already, and the trailer for Saw 6 is out. Funniest quote regarding the latter:
Considering that the franchise has just about run its course it does make sense they either take it to space or go 3-D.
:ROFL:
Anyway, most of these will be crushed under the boot of what H'wood hotshots call Development Hell, and will get rubbed out when the regurgitated releases feeding frenzy starts to stall at the box office. Personally, I'll be padding my Netflix queue and looking for no-budget original horror movies buried in the last screening room of the run down inner city googleplex. Late show after a bar run...;)