Laws for reproducing print online (non-profit).

Kyle

Registered
Reaction score
i think this is maybe the best forum to ask this, if not feel free to move it :)

I have a website that is science based (biology) and some publications are almost impossible to find, making education suffer as they are real gems. what are the laws for the following circumstances, all to do with being copied -as is (not edited/changed)- for non profit information sharing.

1. old texts that are no longer in print. ranging from 1990 to 1600, but none are being printed anymore.

2. texts where the authors have died.

3. scientific articles that are part of journals.

4. Texts that are not for sale by the publisher/author anymore, and can hardly be found, generally from other collectors/researchers or libraries/schools.

my thinking is that libraries can hand out copies to anyone, but i realize the books were originally purchased then donated, so its a bit different.

here is an example of exactly what i want to do.
http://www.carnegieinstitution.org/cactaceae/default.html

i am thinking i need the written permission to do this, so my last question is who? the writer or publisher?

thanks for any input.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kyle, start with either the living authors or the still-in-business publishers. Either route will lead to whoever owns the rights, I should think.

Maryn, practical like that

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The Gutenberg Project is working on many old, public-domain texts:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

And of course, Google is in the process of scanning everything ever published. We don't need to get into the nitty gritty of that here as there are a number of other threads on the subject elsewhere on AW, not to mention the wider 'net. Do a search on 'Google settlement'.

The main point is, this is pretty much already being done by large organisations. If you're interested in assisting, you might contact the Gutenberg Project.