September Just Hit Send - for goals, accomplishments and writing!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
First! LOL

No, but seriously I think this is my first time in over a year *starting* a JHS thread; here we are 45 minutes into September.

For those with children going back to school, September represents a return to regular business schedules. For the rest of us, it's either business as usual or dealing with ever-changing demands on our lives. And through it all, we keep writing.

Why? 1). because we are writers. 2). because we are serious about being writers 3). because we need to pay the bills, dagnabbit.

For me, even though I now have a little girl who is quickly becoming a toddler, I am looking at September as a time to tweak my writing schedule, put in more hours, and find more steady work.

Goals:

- Launch Little Blue Lines, the companion Website to my upcoming personal essay anthology

- Rebrand myself as a professional writer, editor and writing mentor (not sure of the minor steps here yet, or if this will get pushed off until October in reality)

- Write copy for 2 websites

- apply for new jobs at least once a week

- Write September radio promos

- Three paintball articles (due sept. 15)

- write my weekly column at LIE

- Write twice weekly at babiesonline (a goal I fall short of every month!)

- Write once weekly at Writer'sRoundabout

- Write once weekly plus readings as necessary at www.future-tarot.com

- Write one personal essay

- Move (no, really.)

I hope to get most of this done in the first half of the month to leave the second half free for rebranding efforts and new work.

I hope to check back in by Friday with much of this done!

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Happy September!

Time for a new kind of normal around here! (yes, because school is starting!)
In addition to the typical month map I create, I've also created an income goal worksheet in order to keep myself on task with earnings. This is particularly important considering the missing income we experienced due to last month's hospital stay and following recovery period. So, it's going to be a busy month! :D

Last edited:

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Jenny-
That's right--Wishing my best to your hubby!!

And yes, you said in one sentence ("a new kind of normal") what I implied in my post. ;) THAT'S what I meant. LOL Your schedule still boggles my mind. You continue to be an inspiration!!

Oh, one quick accomplishment from August for me: I surpassed last year's income for August! To me, since I have Ashley and am working about half the time of what I did last year, this is nothing short of miraculous. Granted, last August I took a 2-week working vacation where less work got done. But still! LOL

Today, if I get my copyediting done and ONE paintball article, I'll be thrilled w/ myself.

Dawn

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Thank you! It still sounds "weird" to me each time I hear that I'm inspiring others . . . I feel like that's not true at all. LOL! I don't know why! :Shrug:

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I've never participated in JHS before, but am transitioning from "writing for the web for spending money" to "authentic career" so I'll just jump right in!

Write outline for memoir (and ignore the inner voice that says it's stupid for a 31 year old to write a memoir; my sample chapter has been well received by crit groups and SYW.)

16-20 articles for Examiner.com site, including at least 2 evergreen per week

Learn more about viral marketing, for my blog and Examiner.

Get advertising for my "anonymously" moderated blog

Continue posting 5-7 times a week on Mama Says blog, wrap up series started in summer.

Participate in 3 carnivals weekly on Mama Says blog; comment on carnival posters to drive traffic

Submit latest short story to at least 2 venues (hey, start small.)

Spend at least 1/2 my writing time on personal projects, not just web content

Outline and gather recipes for cookbook project (this is unpaid)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I can't beleive it is September already and eveyone seems to have hit the ground running. Excellent goals! Mine are a bit piddly in comparison, but here they are:

Goals for September 2009

· Research gardening magazines
· Stop researching and start sending queries to dog magazines
· Send out ten queries
· Send out three short stories
· Edit two essays from August
· Write three more essays
· Edit Elemental Assassins chpt 4-6
· Blog twice a week (I will this month, I promise! Someone kick me if I don’t.)
· Do a few articles at DS.
· Write article due October 1st
· Send recipe to Cooking Light that I didn’t manage last month

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Raven-
Not piddly at all!! Mommyjo- Welcome!

Well, my new promotional website is *almost* done... I need to write a fresh, enticing bio and am struggling a bit w/ that.

ETA: Well, this is a big one for me. The new marketing site is up and running. I wanted clean, professional and simple to read. I think it's a bit TOO much of all of the above, LOL... This is NOT a blog which will be updated daily or even weekly. I know the "blog" link doesn't work on the site, because I'm actually waiting to post information about my writer's course there and the button will be "Courses and coaching". I'll also have a testimonials button eventually. But it's done and I'm not *ashamed* of it. LOL

ETA - Plan b - I subbed out the design of both AllcotMedia AND the pregnancy anthology. when the AllcotMedia template is done today I'll just plug in my info. Last night I wrote an article for the paintball mag, but I don't think it's what the editor wants because it's not what I pitched... so a slight re-write is in order. (Didn't I say in another thread I don't rewrite- well this is a special case...) LOL

Last edited:

jenngreenleaf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
It's the first day of school here, and it feels weird to work on writing assignments/projects without heaing "Mommy" or "Jenn" every 2.5 seconds......

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
If someone less motivated than me could post so my puny goals don't show up next to the superheroes above, I'd appreciate it, LOL.

What, no takers? OK, here goes: I have a daily goal of five Demand Studios articles a day, six days a week. Also, to send out my humor essay again to a new market, thanks to the lovely Mysti. Write weekly horoscopes on time, so my poor, over-stressed editor's twitch doesn't come back. ;)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Okay, I have been absent for a couple of months and a slug prior to that where my magazine work is concerned, but this time I swear I will be a good girl! I bought the new Writers Market and took it on vacation with me. I prepared several queries to mail out this week and next.

I am very, very impressed with everyone else's goals so far. I'm not going to put specific numbers on myself this month. My goal is just to get my butt back in gear with freelancing. At least I've been making $$ as I have been busting butt at Demand Studios. I even won second prize (a Kindle) in their rev share article contest; I promptly sold it and used the $$ toward a new netbook.

(I'm not a total slug...I did get two magazine assignments this month but I don't count them because it's with pubs I work with regularly).

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, Barb, did you forget to mention YOUR BOOK IS OUT? Good to see you.

Last edited:

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I've put the book release fiasco out of my mind, LOL! Let's just say that small publisher plus small distributor can equal big headaches. But yes, thank goodness it's finally actually available.

It's so good to be back here and see everyone so motivated. I really, really want to kick start my magazine work. Demand Studios is great for the $$ and Examiner is fun but magazines are my first love...God, I'm an old coot!

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Not posting Sept. goals yet because I'm up to my eyeballs in current deadlines.

But wanted to share that I was just hired for a blogging gig! Here's my first post: 4 Life/Work Balance Lessons We Can Learn from TV

The blog is Jobacle.com and it's a totally different take on career/job advice. Useful info in a fun format.

Sept. is a trial month and I'll be posting a couple times a week. So go make nice, articulate (hey, you're writers!) comments. I'll pay you back in kind.

Last edited:

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
finally heard back from magazine editor. I love getting emails that say "I'm so sorry, I'm a complete idiot, I should have emailed you months ago about such and such toic/assignment/whatever" They are so much nicer than having to send them out myself :) Good news is she's publishing one article in October and does want the one for the December issue, which means I need to get my butt going. She asked if I could have it done next week rather than in October. So that is how my weekend is shaping up.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Barb, Nancy, Raven--are you guys trying to set the bar high this month or what? You're really busy these days. Keep up the good work. Nancy, loved the blog post you used to win that job.

I've done two blog posts in the past few days. The last one is. . .ummm, something about memory, I think. All I know is that It's Good To Be Queen.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Raven, aren't those emails great? Waiting is a pain, but when something suddenly comes out of it, it feels so good.

Amy, two blog posts aren't bad for a holiday weekend (or the week leading up to it). The only thing that bums me about the holiday is that it means Halloween...and Christmas...are right around the corner.

Nancy, that is awesome that you got the gig! Congrats : )

I had a little oops this month...I have an assignment for both "Animal Wellness" and "Feline Wellness," and I thought they were both due on the 15th. The editor sent a check-in note last week...one was due on the 3rd. Ugh, I was so embarrassed! Fortunately she was okay with having me complete it this weekend so I just hit send and turned that sucker in tonight.

I did a bunch of Demand Studios articles this weekend too since I am a money 'ho. Now I'll start sending out the queries I prepared on vacation...that's my focus for the upcoming week.

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Amy and Barb! I'm thinking the rest of 09 is going to be good to us. I feel like we've earned it.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am in such a good mood today. (though feel a bit silly for not noticing the new gig Nancy - congrats!) My article is done and sent, early for once! I have my recipes to send to Cooking Light narrowed down to five. I have a blog post ready to go as soon as I finish downloading the pictures to go with it. I have two queries ready to go to new markets. And we're playing hooky today to go to the fair.

Have a great Labor Day and I'll see ya'll tomorrow!

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the nod, Raven.

Glad you're having a good day! I, too, sent an article in early. Now, that's a good feeling, isn't it? I'm (almost) doing the victory dance.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Yikes, lostwanderer, I didn't even realize that NANO was so close already! Last year it coincided with writing my non-fiction book; this year, I think I might do my own version again with either a proposal or another non-fiction book (although this year I'm not lucky enough to have a contract).

I'm knocking out some Demand Studios stuff this morning, and the afternoon will be devoted to queries and my Feline Wellness article.

madfish

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, aiming for simple and doable this month. I've been horrible with my examiner page and was thinking about dropping it but decided getting motivated would be the better option! I'll post 3 times a week on examiner, 3 times a week on my new blog (just created today!), send 3 queries, and write some introductory/brainstorming text for a new topic of interest. (Wow, is that ever a vague goal!) Reading all your goals is always motivating--thanks guys!