PDA

View Full Version : fantasy explosion

Aristocrazy
09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I need some kind of explosion, no matter how psuedo-scientific, that could level a large area but possibly create some form of life as a result.

Or at least Star Trek jargon :p

Any input is appreciated, thanks for your time and consideration.

Vincent
09-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Fantasy or sci fi?

WriteKnight
09-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Well, when large'ish' bodies enter the atmosphere, they create an explosion. There is a lot of science buzz going on right now, about water coming from comets, but also 'organic materials'. So you could have a comet cause a BIG explosion and seed the place with organic materials.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast05apr_1.htm

Aristocrazy
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
ya sci-fi, sorry. I consider the story more fantasy than sci-fi but yes looking for sci-fi explosion.

thx for the comet idea. I could make that work but it certainly isn't ideal so any other thoughts are appreciated.

GeorgeK
09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
If it's a fantasy world that grew out of a sci-fi ancestry, the wizard Schlubb could find an artifact and divinate that it had something to do with a Phoenix. Using magic, he activates it thinking he could sell the creature for a lot of gold, or slave women, or whatever the currency is. ... Little did Schlubb know it was a Phoenix missile.

BigWords
09-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Read up on Tunguska.

Philip Josť Farmer used a (real) meteorite impact to kick-start the Wold Newton concept, and it is as good a place to start as anything. You might also want to consider some sort of laboratory explosion, as there are enough experimental labs working on strange ideas to give the notion a sense of credibility.

Aristocrazy
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
If it's a fantasy world that grew out of a sci-fi ancestry, the wizard Schlubb could find an artifact and divinate that it had something to do with a Phoenix. Using magic, he activates it thinking he could sell the creature for a lot of gold, or slave women, or whatever the currency is. ... Little did Schlubb know it was a Phoenix missile.

wouldn't really work but I get what you mean. I'll brainstorm it for something more in context.

Read up on Tunguska.

Philip Josť Farmer used a (real) meteorite impact to kick-start the Wold Newton concept, and it is as good a place to start as anything. You might also want to consider some sort of laboratory explosion, as there are enough experimental labs working on strange ideas to give the notion a sense of credibility.

I'll check it out.
Also as far as the lab that's what I had it as when I made this thread~ a Chernobyl style explosion. I just didn't want to say something stupid like "There was a bio-nuclear (lolwut?) meltdown nuhyer nuhyer nuhyer"

dgiharris
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
How about something Volcanic?

Volcanoes have about the same explosive 'power' as a nuclear bomb.

A pocket of natural gas the size of a lake could yield another giant explosion. PErhaps an entire underground cabin that is essentially a natural gas resevior complete with biological 'pools' of bacteria that give off the carbon and hydrogen as part of their respiration... This cavern doesn't explode because it is separated from normal atmosphere since it is encased in earth. A recent Earthquake ruptures the encasement, normal oxygen mixes with the cavern and BOOM!

you have some magical mineral with properties like Uranium and this magical mineral reacts violently with another element (water, gold, whatever). Normally the element is found in quantities of a few grams, but in one case, there is a chunk that size of a house, boulder, mountain, whatever. There is some event (earthquake, whatever) and this mineral combines with whatever and explodes.

well, that's all I got for now.

Mel...

Justin K
10-16-2009, 08:04 AM
thermite mixing with ice, like on mythbusters