Not open for further replies.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Okay, we all encounter odd "you just don't get it" conversations with non-writers, but this one has left a few of my synapses sputtering.

While in the airport the other night, my husband and I struck up a conversation with some other passengers. It came out that I'm a writer, specifically of the romance/erotic romance genres. Then I heard the words that always make my innards clench:

"Well, since you're a writer..."

Oh Lord, here we go...

"...here's what you should write..."

...grant me the serenity...

"...now, most people are too afraid to write something like this, but I think it will work. So..."

...more serenity, STAT...

"...I think you should write a book about your perception of black men." *cue facial expression that says "OMG, isn't this brilliant?"*

Maybe it was fatigue from traveling for almost 24 straight hours, maybe it was just the fact that everyone in the room was staring at me with looks of "yeah, why don't you?", but it took me a second to respond. Finally, I said, "I write fiction, specifically romance, so that really wouldn't be my genre."

This was where things got a bit strange...

He laughed. That smug, knowing "oh, I shouldn't be surprised" laugh. "Well, I thought you might not be like all the other sheep out there, but I guess most people would be afraid to take a risk by writing something like that."

Must. Contain. Rage. "No," I said. "It's not fear, or a risk, or anything of the sort. It's simply outside of my area of writing."

"Well, it would be out of your comfort zone, then-"

"No, I didn't say it was out of my comfort zone. Most writers stick to certain genres-"

"Because they're afraid to step out of the box and write about things that might be that edgy or risky."

By this point, I was starting to get really annoyed, but again, couldn't tell if it was fatigue catching up with me (as if anyone ever gets bitchy after 24 hours without sleep) or if he was really getting under my skin. I tried approaching it from a "wouldn't know that aspect of the market well enough to know if it would sell", which was a mistake, since it launched him into another tirade about racism, comfort zones, and risk. Fortunately, the subject was changed shortly thereafter because we had to go to our gate.

As I said, I know we've all had frustrating conversations with non-writers who simply don't get it. This one, for some reason, has had me scratching my head for a few days. I didn't expect to be able to get through to him that there are things about writing/publishing that he doesn't know, but the whole "if you won't write about THIS, you're clearly scared/won't take risks/can't deal with such gritty topics/etc" was a bit...weird. The fact that I didn't think it was a book I could/would write meant that I was scared?

If you'd been in my shoes that day (minus the lack of sleep), how would you have handled it? I'm not asking how I should have handled it - can't change it, water under the bridge, wouldn't have changed his mind anyway - I'm just curious what YOUR response would have been to that kind of conversation.

How do (or would) you respond to people who tell YOU why you don't write certain things?

Reaction score
Ask him why the fuck he doesn't write it if he's such an expert.

"Yes. You're right. I'm scared. Why don't you lead the way, Oh Wondrous Prophet? Lead us to the Promised Land of Racial Equality Through Erotic Romance!"

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
My response would have been somewhere between Folofop's and scarletpeaches'.

That or I would have stared at him unblinking, and slowly put my earbuds in and gotten back to work.

I learned, long ago, that there are some people who "don't get it" and moreover "never will" (not just in writing, in anything, really). My time is precious enough that I'm not going to waste it on this (tragically large) subset of humanity.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
What Folofop said.

Just curious, was this dude black or not? Or are you married to a black guy or something? I find his suggestion of topics utterly bizarre and inappropriate to suggest to a complete stranger unless there's SOME sort of context. Even then, I think I'd still be utterly offended.

Actually, since I generally don't swear at people, my response would be, "My perception of black men is that they're like most other men. Don't think it would make for a very interesting book."

ETA: Once on a 10 hour flight in a half-empty plane, I drew the short straw and ended up next to this guy who, halfway through the ride, had figured out for me, in great detail, how I and my then-boyfriend could leave our families and California to come live in Shanghai, the most perfect place on earth. He had like this whole six-month plan worked out on getting jobs, moving our stuff, etc. Then I got headphones and pretended to love the awful movie they were playing. WHAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU, SORRY!

Last edited:

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think the moral of the story is, don't speak to people in airports after 24 hours of travelling.

ChrisKelly331

Peter Steele <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinakelly.webs.com
LOLZ WAT?
thats stupid.
all black men arent the same.
thats like me writing "my perception" of white people.
here is my perception:
when I was little I use to think white people were just happy to be white like they got up in morning and thought "gee I'm glad I'm white everything is wonderful because I am white"

could I make a book out of that? ...maybe! haha :-D

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
"...I think you should write a book about your perception of black men."

I'm not even sure what that means. Which is probably what I would have said. Only less politely.

In general I just ignore people who don't get it. Not really a solution I suppose but it's better than the alternative "Well you're stupid!" before flouncing away. :p

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Actually, since I generally don't swear at people, my response would be, "My perception of black men is that they're like most other men. Don't think it would make for a very interesting book."

Yep, as I certainly wouldn't say "fuck off" to some crazy stranger, I would however think it.

Jo's suggestion is best, that's like a fuck off but in a nice, you can't argue back with me, way.

I doubt I would have the brain capacity to think of this on the spot though.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
What Folofop said.

Just curious, was this dude black or not? Or are you married to a black guy or something? I find his suggestion of topics utterly bizarre and inappropriate to suggest to a complete stranger unless there's SOME sort of context. Even then, I think I'd still be utterly offended.

This guy was black, yes. At one point, I suggested that he write the book in question. "Well, see, I'm not a writer, but the point is that if you're not afraid to step out of your comfort zone, you should be able to..."

*eyeroll*

Reaction score
Listen, hon. If you want to talk to weirdo cockknockers at 3am, that's what my email address on MSN is for.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
My answer would have been something similar to Jo's.

I wonder if he was trying to get something out of you rather than being interested in the writing aspect of it.

Reaction score
Yep, as I certainly wouldn't say "fuck off" to some crazy stranger, I would however think it.

Jo's suggestion is best, that's like a fuck off but in a nice, you can't argue back with me, way.

I doubt I would have the brain capacity to think of this on the spot though.

Anyone who tells Lori what to write deserves a hell of a lot more than "Fuck off," and I for one wouldn't hold back in dishing up a buttload of profanity.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Listen, hon. If you want to talk to weirdo cockknockers at 3am, that's what my email address on MSN is for.

I HAD been talking to you. You had gone to bed. See what happens when you abandon me and leave me to my own devices out in public??

"I'll get right on that. Thanks for the input."

Wait two beats. Turn to someone else. Laugh derisively. Exit stage right to airport bar.

Then, have a beer. See? Simple.

The lack of an airport bar made this somewhat of a problem, but point taken. LOL

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My answer would have been something similar to Jo's.

I wonder if he was trying to get something out of you rather than being interested in the writing aspect of it.

I think you may be onto something. The whole conversation felt very "baited".

Anyone who tells Lori what to write deserves a hell of a lot more than "Fuck off," and I for one wouldn't hold back in dishing up a buttload of profanity.

I love you so hard.<3 <3 <3

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

See, this is why it's handy to make friends with people as brave as you. (I have collected several over the years.) That way I don't actually need the guts to do it, I can just point my friend in that direction. :D

Reaction score
I love you so hard.<3 <3 <3
Ugh. Now I feel dirty.

Which was probably your aim.
Would you though? Really? Start swearing at some guy in an airport lounge?
Abso-fuckin-lutely. I have no qualms - none - about telling someone what I think of them if they get in my face, particularly about writing.

F'r'instance (not writing-related, but still) - the last time someone walked past me on the street and said, "Cheer up, it might never happen," I went after him and said, "Oy! Do you know what's going on in my life? Well do you? No? Then who the fuck are you to tell me to cheer up? If I look miserable it's obviously because 'it' already has happened and it certainly doesn't help when slurping douchecocks like you tell me to 'cheer up'. Fuckwit."

No, I'm not kidding. I've done that before and I'd do it again. Someone gets in my face, I'll tell them exactly what I think of them.
See, this is why it's handy to make friends with people as brave as you. (I have collected several over the years.) That way I don't actually need the guts to do it, I can just point my friend in that direction. :D
Brave? Nah. Bad tempered? Oh yes!:D

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
F'r'instance (not writing-related, but still) - the last time someone walked past me on the street and said, "Cheer up, it might never happen," I went after him and said, "Oy! Do you know what's going on in my life? Well do you? No? Then who the fuck are you to tell me to cheer up? If I look miserable it's obviously because 'it' already has happened and it certainly doesn't help when slurping douchecocks like you tell me to 'cheer up'. Fuckwit."

Haha, quality. Fair enough.

Last time I had an argument with someone, I got my teeth knocked out and three broken ribs for my trouble.

I'm a bad mofo though, not on that occasion right enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.