a discouraging 'encouraging' rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moost

Is not my real name
Registered
Reaction score
New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
This morning I found this in my inbox-

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']I thank you for considering me, but I am going to have to pass. I don’t think I would be the best agent for you. Don’t misinterpret this as a “rejection”, but rather a redirection.

I like your story and your writing. You have some great lines and good comic timing. I am afraid I am at a bit of a loss on to whom I would send your work. Certainly a well rounded agency should be able to manage any genre. I am basically a one person shop (well, two people really), and in my growing pains, I do need to focus on those genres that I feel we will be in a good position to represent.
[/FONT]

Now, this agent received the first thirty pages of my manuscript, so based on the first two lines of the second paragraph, this isn't a form rejection. In fact, this confirmed my worst fears! I knew my book would be a tough sell, but to actually hear that an agent can't think of anywhere to place it- now that just sucks.

Should I be worried?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Naw. Like the agent said, they're a small, new operation. You just fell outside the genre field they're willing to tackle right now. Better luck with the big boys!

Chuck Jones

Runs With Scissors
Registered
Reaction score
I think that sounds great. I think that's a very positive rejection... it beats the hell out of my most recent one (with poor grammar left intact)

"not what i'm looking for but thank you and good luck."

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be discouraged. Like he said, his agency is small and he only knows a limited number of editors.

Good luck!

paperhearted

always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fiction-theory.livejournal.com
I wouldn't be all that discouraged by this kind of rejection. This agent may not be that well connected or may be newish to the business. Like she said, it's a one person shop. A lot of agents like that are people who agent part-time out of their homes or something and therefore aren't the same as the agents at the big agencies elsewhere.

Keep querying! If this agent gave you such glowing praise in a rejection, you know you've got a good book. Send it anywhere that you think of!

Best of luck to you!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar one from the same agency--my manuscript is apparently the one that convinced he probably wasn't the guy for Fantasy/SciFi. Just be glad he told you his doubts before signing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.