Disney Buys Marvel Entertainment for US$4bn

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The evil empire expands.

I'm really interested in seeing how this could potentially impact the actual comic books as much if not more so than the movies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, Disney also owns lots of stuff such as Touchstone, Pixar, Miramax... and I don't see a "Doubt" musical soon (although it was a Broadway play).

What it means is they can cross promote more effectively now. And having Disney behind a comic book company may not be entirely a bad thing (although I've heard working for Disney is a pain).

And even before Disney put their hands in the cookie jar... Spider-Man is already a musical. So it doesn't really take Disney to do all that stuff.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know if anyone goes to the Universal Studios theme park anymore, but don't they have extensive Marvel based rides and attractions? I suppose all of that has to be re-branded or otherwise changed?

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't even know if anyone goes to the Universal Studios theme park anymore, but don't they have extensive Marvel based rides and attractions? I suppose all of that has to be re-branded or otherwise changed?

Yeah, they have the Incredible Hulk and a Spiderman one.

They are both ace.

I've been twice. Got family in Florida, dontcha know.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I can't wait to ride Mutants of the Caribbean!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, from an investor's point of view, this isn't so bad. I bought shares in Marvel back about eight years ago for something like $3. So, I'll be getting $30 a share with some stock in Disney; not too bad of an investment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, from an investor's point of view, this isn't so bad. I bought shares in Marvel back about eight years ago for something like $3. So, I'll be getting $30 a share with some stock in Disney; not too bad of an investment.

That's 10x ROI in eight years, or 12% a year. Not shabby at all.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
/me is waiting to see what happens to the somerandomguy videos on youtube.

"I'm a Marvel."

"No, you're a Disney."

Should be fun for a few, depending on what characters he chooses to do it with.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's 10x ROI in eight years, or 12% a year. Not shabby at all.

It's actually more than that.

I also had stock in MCI at one time. Well, let's not talk about that.
And in dog years, it's 275.

Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
/me is waiting to see what happens to the somerandomguy videos on youtube.

"I'm a Marvel."

"No, you're a Disney."

Should be fun for a few, depending on what characters he chooses to do it with.

Those are hilarious videos.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
“Spider-Man,” “Iron Man” and “Wolverine” films have pulled in billions of dollars at the box office and offer Disney an opportunity to shore up profits at its four main businesses.

“There is significant opportunity to further mine Marvel’s rich intellectual property portfolio,” Iger, 58, said on a conference call. “This was a company that we admired, that we saw growing right before our eyes, that we were impressed with from a people perspective.”

You know, I think that as far as Movies go, Marvel is getting closed to being mined out.

The time for Disney to have bought Marvel would have been BEFORE all the comic book movies came out.

Is there more water to be squeezed from the rock? Yes, the IMHO, the majority of the water has already been syphoned.

Mel...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I think that as far as Movies go, Marvel is getting closed to being mined out.

The time for Disney to have bought Marvel would have been BEFORE all the comic book movies came out.

Is there more water to be squeezed from the rock? Yes, the IMHO, the majority of the water has already been syphoned.

Mel...
Maybe they can ask George Lucas for advice on what he did after Howard The Duck went D.O.A. opening day.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Howard the Duck

was

Awesome!!!

Mel...

F.F.

Registered
Reaction score
One thing Disney knows how to do is market and capitalize on sales. I think (hope) they're smart enough to leave Marvel's characters the way they are and not assume restrictive creative control and completely gentrify them for mass consumption. Regardless, I expect a vast increase in the number of branded merchandise for sale in wal-mart. Little Wolverine backpacks with plushy claws sticking out of them...

Silver surfer could make a pretty fantastic movie if done right and not as some cameo'd home-wrecking douche in a terrible Fantastic Four movie...

Marvel still has some juice left to squeeze.

F.F.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Poland thinks Disney might cancel Thor.
EDIT: I don't get that, since Paramount has that film, but whatev.

They have treated Pixar pretty good, though, not that they have much choice.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score

Mel...

Disney's not getting their hands on X-Men or Spiderman without paying an arm and a leg (and other assorted body parts).