Need: medical details/ fighter knowledge

herbchick

alcohol will do that for ya
Registered
Reaction score
I need to know:

Kidney punch: would a 13 year old pee on himself and can he pee blood for days afterward. Also, would he need any special meds?

Concussion: MC puked twice and is very dizzy. Can he drive?..I KNOW he shouldn't. Also any meds needed for him?

Thanks so much!!!

cptwentworth

Did you hear that?!?
Registered
Reaction score
You can definitely pee blood for a period of time after any kidney injury. I've never heard of taking meds for it. (I take doctor's depositions IRL.)

For the concussion, he might try to drive, but not get very far. The concussion could be a subdural hematoma, and he could eventually pass out from it. There's nothing to take for a concussion, either.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
A concussion also brings dizziness, blurred and double vision, making it difficult to drive. Not to mention the severe headaches. Driving would be way down my list of things to do.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about the kidneys but have direct experience of the concussion. No he should not drive but he may not know how bad off he is. I had a concussion after I got hit by a car. At the scene the police asked me if I had been unconscious. I said no. They asked me if I remembered everything that happened. I said yes. Later I realized that I had lost at least 15 minutes. I went to the ER because my leg was banged up but did not realize until my husband saw me that I had a pretty nasty knock on the head too. If my leg had not hurt I probably would have driven home (or at least as far as I got before I smashed my car up)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The degree of hematuria does not corrolate with the degree of damage to a kidney from blunt force trauma, so yes, he could have visible blood with or without little tiny skinny worm like clots even for a couple days. Microscopically, the blood would be detectable for about 6 weeks. It will be more visible with fewer urinations such as if he's dehydrated or first morning urination. Evaluation would be a CT scan without and with IV contrast to rule out a renal fracture and assuming it's non surgical which is common for blunt trauma, treatment would be hydration to keep the tiny clots from obstructing the flow of urine from the microscopic nephrons to the macroscopic ureters and avoidance of further trauma (rest, but not true bedrest), Acetominophen and opiates for pain, Aspirin and Ibuprophen-like products are a bit more controversial but used to be the mainstay a few decades ago. Some Urologists like that they thin the blood a bit, and others are frightened by it. In a low tech or no doctor environment, light beer alternating with lemonaide for pain relief and hydration would be a reasonable approach.

A punch to a kidney however is no more likely to result in incontinence as pain inflicted anywhere else.