• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Would love a fantasy / romance beta / critique partner / mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Hello...

I am new, but not really --- I've been lurking here for quite some time now, so I feel comfortable just jumping in.

I am looking for a beta or a critique partner who is interested in romance, though I will crit almost anything. My novel is a short fantasy romance of about 45 000 words, called "The King's Harem".

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Last edited:

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any tips about getting a beta / crit partner... ???

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hi, Mata Hari,

It might help for you to post in a few threads and maybe post a small sample of your work in Share Your Work - that way people can get to know you a little and get an idea about whether they want to work on your stuff.

I think some people may be reluctant to offer to help, since you don't have the track record of showing up and posting around here. It's happened to me and to other people around here -- folks will ask us to read their work and then disappear after we've spent a lot of time and effort on trying to help them.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Karen, that's excellent advice. After being burned several times by authors who never even came back to AW to see what feedback I'd spent hours on, I simply won't critique anybody with very few posts.

Maryn, older, just a little wiser

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand your concerns, but posting just isn't my strong suit. The time that I could spend becoming established in an online community is time I would rather use to write or read. Having online rep and friendships is great, but they can take as much time and nurturing as RL friendships.

I mentioned before that I'm a lurker --- I show up daily, check a few vital things, read other people's opinions, and then leave without feeling the need (or having the time) to interject with my own. I constructed this account mostly because I wanted to have a beta I could consistently work with.

But thankfully this thread has managed to garner me a couple of amazing betas, so for the moment my mission has been accomplished, and in a way that happens to work with my schedule.

Who are these people that ask for crits and then disappear? Everyone loves getting opinions on their stuff; I am shocked that this is even a problem, to be honest.

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand your concerns, but posting just isn't my strong suit. The time that I could spend becoming established in an online community is time I would rather use to write or read. Having online rep and friendships is great, but they can take as much time and nurturing as RL friendships.

I mentioned before that I'm a lurker --- I show up daily, check a few vital things, read other people's opinions, and then leave without feeling the need (or having the time) to interject with my own. I constructed this account mostly because I wanted to have a beta I could consistently work with.

But thankfully this thread has managed to garner me a couple of amazing betas, so for the moment my mission has been accomplished, and in a way that happens to work with my schedule.

Who are these people that ask for crits and then disappear? Everyone loves getting opinions on their stuff; I am shocked that this is even a problem, to be honest.
Bolding mine. I can understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate your honesty. The catch is, I think this community only works when there is give and take. Without the give, everyone would just be looking for help and there would be nobody giving feedback. It's tough because, to me, the message becomes something like, "My work, and time, is more important than yours, so I'll ask for assistance but not pay it forward." I understand you didn't say exactly that, but the bolded parts sort of read that way to me. I am glad you found some betas and you are getting help in Query Letter Hell. Maybe if you have a little time you could help someone else. From your query it seems like you have good ideas.

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Give and take is fine with me - I never expect something for nothing. I didn't state it here, but in the exchange with my betas I've always offered to critique their work (and have many times), and in my QLH thread I've extended the same offer... you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an approach to a problem (i.e. needing a beta reader or advice on a query) that happens to work best with one's personal needs.

I think my problem is that I'm a little too intense --- right now, for example, I have some precious free time and instead of working on my MS (which is tantalizingly, disgustingly close to being done its final edits) I'm loafing about on this message board, and it's causing me to get more than a little antsy. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think this is a wonderful site and resource tool, but that's what I tend to treat it as - not as a diversion or social tool.

Geez, now I've really come across as a cold, efficient jerk, haven't I?

wheelwriter

Not a runner, running.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give and take is fine with me - I never expect something for nothing. I didn't state it here, but in the exchange with my betas I've always offered to critique their work (and have many times), and in my QLH thread I've extended the same offer... you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an approach to a problem (i.e. needing a beta reader or advice on a query) that happens to work best with one's personal needs.

I think my problem is that I'm a little too intense --- right now, for example, I have some precious free time and instead of working on my MS (which is tantalizingly, disgustingly close to being done its final edits) I'm loafing about on this message board, and it's causing me to get more than a little antsy. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think this is a wonderful site and resource tool, but that's what I tend to treat it as - not as a diversion or social tool.

No, not at all cold or jerkish! I admire your intensity. I try to look at the time I spend on AW as doing three things -

1. Giving critiques helps to strengthen my writing skills. Seeing someone else's backstory/wordiness/unclear parts helps me identify it in my own work.
2. Maybe my feedback helps someone. I'm a fan of good karma.
3. Sometimes I need to turn off my brain. When I completely focus on other peoples' work, then go back to my own, sometimes I have renewed energy.

I could probably learn something from you, since I think I lurk about too much!

Mata Hari

Exotic Dancer; Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Well, the universe seems to be disagreeing with you --- the water from my toilet has just made a guest appearance on my kitchen floor, necessitating the delay of my work once more so I can go buy a plunger...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the joys of everyday life, eh?

When our kids got their first apartments, I gave them each their very own plungers, because when you need one, you usually need it pretty badly, and right now.

Maryn, who usually gives better presents

M.R.

Registered
Reaction score

I don't think you're a jerk at all. I too am a lurker. Some time back I requested beta help and nobody responded. I didn't push the issue because I don't post on the boards either for the same reason you don't. Between critiquing other work and writing my own, I feel like my writer's plate is full.

But at the same time I envy the relationships people have established on sites like this and I'm making an effort to be less of a wallflower.

Status
Not open for further replies.