PDA

View Full Version : Trans Am or other muscle cars

jeseymour
08-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Anybody own or know the layout of a Trans Am? I need a car for a nineteen year-old small time drug dealer in a rural area of the northeast US. I was leaning towards an old Trans Am, maybe with a newer engine, something that can move if he needs it to. He will need a place to hide a few blocks of Marijuana, I was thinking in the trunk, maybe in with the spare tire, but I have never even ridden in one of these cars, so I don't know how they're laid out. Is there a spare tire compartment? He's not smart enough to pull the car apart to hide the stuff, he doesn't think he'll ever get pulled over, so no need to do anything fancy. If there is no spare tire compartment (is there even a trunk?) can anyone offer another muscle car that might fit the requirements? Camaro? I drive a Suburban and a Prius, neither of which would suit this kid's needs. :D

alleycat
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I don't think I ever drove a Trans-Am, but it did have a trunk.

I owned a 1967 Camaro, and drove a 1969 Chevelle SS a lot, if one of those would do. They might be older than you need.

If I were a drug runner, I certainly wouldn't hide the drugs in the trunk. I would probably try to find someplace within the engine compartment to make it harder for one of those drug sniffing dogs to find, but you might not need the character to do this if he's cocky about the run.

If this is set in present time, I might think about using an older Ford Mustang GT (say, a five or six-year-old model). That would fit the bill.

jeseymour
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Yes, but Alleycat, the whole idea is that the kid is not all that smart. Drug sniffing dogs would never occur to him. It's not even that he's not smart, just that he thinks he won't ever get caught. He's hidden the stuff, but not well. I was thinking of a car from the 80s maybe, or perhaps older with a newer engine? Big block engine? Something that will move.

alleycat
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
A Trans-Am would certainly work, as would something like an 80s model Mustang GT.

Just going by memory, the Trans-Am had a smallish trunk, but big enough to hold a spare tire and/or a few blocks of drugs. I can't remember when they started putting inflatable tires in all new cars (in a small wheel well), but you could have the kid just put the drugs in a tire and put it in the trunk.

Tepelus
08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
My boyfriend has a '69 Dodge Dart, with a small block 360 (stroked to a 409, had some mods done to it :)) His best friend has a '67 Barracuda. Maybe the looks of those will be something to consider, if you don't mind older not as common as a Mustang muscle car. The Dart has a big trunk, plenty of room for whatever.

Tepelus
08-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Of course, using a Mustang, everyone would know what one of those looks like, but they are so boring and ho hum (imo).

Nivarion
08-31-2009, 02:26 AM
A Trans-Am would certainly work, as would something like an 80s model Mustang GT.

Just going by memory, the Trans-Am had a smallish trunk, but big enough to hold a spare tire and/or a few blocks of drugs. I can't remember when they started putting inflatable tires in all new cars (in a small wheel well), but you could have the kid just put the drugs in a tire and put it in the trunk.

You know, Amarillo is a cross roads area and a lot of drugs get run through here. They think that works, putting them in the tire. But the dogs can smell that the drugs were in contact with the tire before it was sealed and inflated. And if they had a good suspicion about it they just let out some air for the dog.

Local police catch people with drug wheels here all the time. Last year a guy had a truck full of tires. Had more than a thousand pounds of meth in them.

They never think to wash the tire.

Duncan J Macdonald
08-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Anybody own or know the layout of a Trans Am? I need a car for a nineteen year-old small time drug dealer in a rural area of the northeast US. I was leaning towards an old Trans Am, maybe with a newer engine, something that can move if he needs it to. He will need a place to hide a few blocks of Marijuana, I was thinking in the trunk, maybe in with the spare tire, but I have never even ridden in one of these cars, so I don't know how they're laid out. Is there a spare tire compartment? He's not smart enough to pull the car apart to hide the stuff, he doesn't think he'll ever get pulled over, so no need to do anything fancy. If there is no spare tire compartment (is there even a trunk?) can anyone offer another muscle car that might fit the requirements? Camaro? I drive a Suburban and a Prius, neither of which would suit this kid's needs. :D
Okay, I owned a 1984 Camaro Z-28. It and the Trans-Am were identical except for some minor sheetmetal and the badging.
There was no trunk. Both cars were hatchback designs with a huge rear window (the largest single piece of glass on a production vehicle at the time). The small strip of metal at the bottom of the window covered the small well behind the rear suspension/fuel tank. This well was about big enough to hold four standard-sized paper bags from a grocery store. The spare tire was a doughnut (compact) spare, and was concealed behind the passenger-side rear wheel well. There wasn't enough room there to hide much. Marijuana is rather bulky for its weight, so you'd need a bunch of it.
Speed wasn't an issue - my Z-28 had the 305 cu-in small block V-8 (5.0 liters) and stock out of the factory had a top speed of 136 mph.

This page (http://books.google.com/books?id=leyn4SoNUJYC&pg=PA131&lpg=PA131&dq=spare+tire+location+on+1984+firebird+trans+am&source=bl&ots=38y8JqM-zq&sig=DhM7nzSnEdCWnMWVHB9nSfkS6H0&hl=en&ei=sEGbSvOvGY3PlAerzeDmDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false) has some photos of the interior-rear of a Firebird Trans-Am.

Just remember that the Firebird/Camaro/Mustang muscle cars of the 80's were all rear wheel drive, with relatively light rear ends. If this kid is trying to power around rural roads in the north-east -- especially in snow -- he's gonna be doing a lot of spins. That holds true on dirt roads as well.

cptwentworth
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
I had a 1971 Dodge Charger with a scoop for the duel carburetor when I was 19 in the early '90s. Massive trunk space. I remember one night at 3:00 a.m. on the 110 Freeway in LA I drove 120 mph just to see, and it flies. Looking back I'm so glad I wasn't arrested.

I've ridden in an '80s TransAm before, I don't remember any back seats, just had a console with a stick shift. H'm.

Check these out, though.

http://www.google.com/images?sa=3&q=1971+Dodge+charger+360+engine

Jersey Chick
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I used to keep a couple bags of cement in the trunk of my Mustang (1967 Coupe, 200 cu, straight six engine ) to keep it from fishtailing.

My boyfriend back in the 80s had a Camaro that had no trunk - but it did have a backseat. It wasn't much of backseat, but it had one. I can't believe Trans Ams were much different.

A friend of mine's older brother had a late 60s Firebird, it also had a backseat. I can't remember how big, though...

K. Taylor
08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
'71 Charger...oh hummina. '69-'71 with a big-block = sex on wheels. And you really don't know how huge those cars were until you see one in the flesh. The cabin's like a living room.

'60s fastback Ford Galaxie would give you style, power with the V-8, and TONS of space. And a lot of kids got them from a relative as a hand-me-down.

Synonym
08-31-2009, 03:19 PM
If you use a Trans Am from the 70's, (maybe a 1976) there would be a trunk plus room under the hood for stashing "stuff". They had a huge, long front end and the engine compartment wasn't packed with electronics like they are now. I'd take into consideration that it would get warm under the hood and he might get his drugs hot enough to give off an odor. But, you said he wasn't exactly bright.

the addster
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Trans Ams through 1982 had trunks, after that they were hatchbacks.

The ones with hatchbacks did have the spare tire in the hatch, just under some carpet. Real easy to get to.

You might want to keep in mind the depending on year, running TAs are now valuable, no matter what their condition, and considering putting him in one of the less expensive models. POS early 90's maybe.

PeterL
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
You might go with a Mustang. They changed over the decades, but they are available and reasonably powerful. If a drug dealer were looking for something to play with, then that would work.

As for using the thing to hauls hemp, Mustangs have trunks, and there was enough space in the body to insert a brick, at least in some models. BTW, hiding a brick of pot is pretty easy, and drug sniffing dogs aren't all that the police would like them to be. There are several ways to foil them, and even a high school drop-out could understand how the counter-measures work.

RJK
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
There is no room in most of the muscle cars mentioned above, to hyde any quantity of mary-J, it's too bulky. The best you could do would be to remove the spare and fill that space with your load. More sofisticated movers would rig the spare tire with the stuff, but your character isn't that smart.

CEtchison
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
I had a 1984 Camaro in high school. Like others said, it was a hatchback, and did not have a true trunk. But on the left hand side of the "trunk" area, there was a compartment that had a lock and key, that was built into the side panel. It was a simple lock, similar to what was sometimes put on gloveboxes.

I remember this vividly as that's where I would hide bottles of booze from my parents. It was big enough to carry a gallon size as well as a couple of fifths.

It was probably intended to be a storage area for jumper cables and any other emergency road side stuff that wasn't stowed with the spare tire and jack.

ETA: The photo link Duncan J Macdonald posted has a photo of the compartment I'm speaking of.

jeseymour
08-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks folks, this is all very helpful. He's only carrying less than 5 pounds at a time, he's a small time dealer, nothing big. This is all backstory, but when someone brings it up in conversation, I wanted his brother to be able to say, oh yeah, he had this Trans Am or Mustang or whatever and had the drugs hidden (someplace fairly obvious) in the trunk or in the spare or whatever.

Thanks again! I've never owned that kind of car. I've had a Suburban for years and years, those have lots of hiding places, but they're not really a drug dealer kind of car. :D

PeterL
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks again! I've never owned that kind of car. I've had a Suburban for years and years, those have lots of hiding places, but they're not really a drug dealer kind of car. :D

You don't think so, but you might be surprised. They carry more freight, and they attract less attention. But teen-aged, small time dealers don't usually drive Suburbans.

Jersey Chick
08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
My Mustang had a LOT of trunk space - at one point, I had a full sized spare tire, two car ramps, a jack, a box o'crap and plenty of room left over.

Mine wasn't a fast car - it was a 200 cu, 3-speed - but it was a straight six, as opposed to a V-6, so it had the edge there, but was nothing compared to the 289 cu or higher. But it was a sweet car.... I miss it sometimes. :D

StephanieFox
09-01-2009, 06:16 AM
My mom had a TransAm back when she was in her '60s and living in South Carolina. She kept getting stopped by teenaged boys who wanted to know if that was her grandson's car. It wasn't.

It had a huge trunk, a big front seat and a big enough back seat (I'm short) and could go pretty fast. In fact, mom was going a little too fast and totaled it going into a ditch. Too bad. It was a cool car.

My mom died a month ago at age 91. She was very elegant, but she loved that car.