PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Manuscripts

coloneldax
08-28-2009, 09:59 PM
What are the basic rules for formatting a manuscript?
I found the following guidelines on Yahoo Answers":

"Your manuscript needs to be in the proper format. Double spaced at 12 size, courier new font, one inch margins all around, and a right jagged margin. That is the format for you concept. And on every page, you need to have it numbered like this in the upper right hand corner: Last name/title/pg#."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080407162431AArCISm

Can anyone please advise me if the above is a good guideline?..

Thanks much,
Daniel

dpaterso
08-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, seems reasonable. Also check out the sticky info thread in this forum:

FAQ: Cathy C's Formatting Manuscripts for Submission - All your questions answered!
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

-Derek

coloneldax
08-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, seems reasonable. Also check out the sticky info thread in this forum:

FAQ: Cathy C's Formatting Manuscripts for Submission - All your questions answered!
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

-Derek

Thanks!

Kathleen42
08-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Am I correct in assuming you mean proper format for submitting to an agent/publisher and not proper format for self publishing (which may differ)?

If so, the yahoo answer basically right, though missing some of the finer details.

Times New Roman is also acceptable for the font.
The header should be set up with Your Last Name/Title in the upper left corner and the page number in the upper right.
The first page (which does not have the same header) needs your name and contact information as well as the book's title and approximate word count.
Page break between chapters.
A # or *** between scenes (not positive about the * format as I use #).

There are a few other things as well.

coloneldax
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
What is the difference between formatting for a publisher and formatting for POD?..

Am I correct in assuming you mean proper format for submitting to an agent/publisher and not proper format for self publishing (which may differ)?

If so, the yahoo answer basically right, though missing some of the finer details.

Times New Roman is also acceptable for the font.
The header should be set up with Your Last Name/Title in the upper left corner and the page number in the upper right.
The first page (which does not have the same header) needs your name and contact information as well as the book's title and approximate word count.
Page break between chapters.
A # or *** between scenes (not positive about the * format as I use #).
There are a few other things as well.

Kathleen42
08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
What is the difference between formatting for a publisher and formatting for POD?..

I have no idea. I would assume that POD would have it's own standards. When you are formatting for submission to an agent or a publisher, they don't duplicate the format in your ms when they produce it. Otherwise, every published book would be double spaced.

If you are asking about POD, I woudl make that very clear in your first post (which is editable). Many people will make the assumption that you are asking from the perspective of traditional publishing.

coloneldax
08-28-2009, 11:29 PM
I have no idea. I would assume that POD would have it's own standards. When you are formatting for submission to an agent or a publisher, they don't duplicate the format in your ms when they produce it. Otherwise, every published book would be double spaced.

If you are asking about POD, I would make that very clear in your first post (which is editable). Many people will make the assumption that you are asking from the perspective of traditional publishing.

Kathleen, I would like to know both..
So since my question has been answered about a publishing standard, maybe I should start a new thread about formatting for POD (such as lulu)..

Daniel