Im new at Christian Writing...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywriter16

New at this!
Registered
Reaction score
So I've been an aspiring writer for about 4 years now! I've always loved to write but only in these last years have I actually begun to pursue it. At first I loved writing suspense thrillers, like Dean Koontz or Kay Hooper. I have always been a Christian and loved God but recently I was burden that my writing was a fleshy lust and it needed to stop so that I in turn could grow closer to God. I'm new at this genre but I know I want to write! I would love to write books that people enjoy and glorify God at the same time...but I'm struggling...Any suggestions or maybe some words of encouragement..?

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Just start writing! :)

One thing you want to make sure you don't do is make the story preachy...I've read far too many Christian books where the message comes across as little more than a sermon.

Other things to watch out for: make your characters real and flawed. Again, too many Christian books sugar coat real life issues and the book just doesn't work.

Have you read any books by Ted Dekker? He's probably one of the most well known Christian thriller writers out there. Read some of his books (he has quite a few!) and get an idea of the style. You can still write Christian thrillers if that's the genre you're passionate about.

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
You can always write "secular" fiction with Christian themes. Dean Koontz (who you mentioned) stands out as a perfect example. He writes for mainstream audiences, but he's not shy about religious themes (like in "The Taking") and having pro-Christian statements, openly Christian characters, and positive faith influences.

It's up to you to decide how much you want to 'sanitize' your content. If you're feeling convicted about sex in your books, please cut it. But you can still write Christian themes in a secular market without stooping into the mucky fast-sell waters of sex and cynicism.

skywriter16

New at this!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any books by Ted Dekker? He's probably one of the most well known Christian thriller writers out there. Read some of his books (he has quite a few!) and get an idea of the style. You can still write Christian thrillers if that's the genre you're passionate about.[/quote]

I have not read any of his books, but now I'm going to look for them. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm really hoping to get a move on some great Christian fiction that has some thrills and mystery to it...!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it, skywriter! We need all the good Christian thrillers we can get.

And +1 to everything Ardent Kat said. I write secular but it's not hard to spot Jesus in some of my characters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.