Researching cultures

K. Andrew Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kandrewsmith.blogspot.com
Looking ahead to the next novel I want to write, I plan for it to be a Science Fiction work set 100 years in the future. There's going to be a pretty large cast of characters, and they'll span a wide variety of cultures.

I'm looking for people I can interview, by email preferably (but whatever the interviewee wants is more important). I can definitely say that if I had my druthers, I'd like to interview people who grew up with these cultures.

Native American - This is one of the most important, and I'd especially like to interview somebody that grew up on a reservation. At this point, it does not matter which tribe.

Japanese - Both those native to Japan and those born in America.

Central/South American - Preferably somebody who immigrated to America as an adult with wife/children/family. Specific country of origin not specified at this point.

Filipino - Native to the Philippines

Middle Eastern - A solid knowledge of Islam and the many ways it is practiced, both in America and the Middle East, would be awesome.

Catholics

Chinese - First generation Chinese American.

Armed Forces - Different branches of the American military would be great. Nearly as great would be info about militaries in other countries.

Areas in the United States - Pacific Northwest, north central states, the south, Eastern Seaboard (pretty much anywhere but California).

There's probably more, but that's what I can think of right now, and the list is already too damn large. I greatly appreciate anybody who can help. If you're willing, please email me at [email protected].

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite a list. What, no Swedes? ;-)))

Well, if you need someone from Tennessee to interview, just send me a PM.

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
Run of the mill Ohioan. Northeast Ohio mainly, but some experience in southern Ohio too.

mewoone

Registered
Reaction score
Middle Eastern , muslim ,,

oh ,,, i am Sunni ....

Last edited:

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
I have never lived in the Middle East, yet I think I have a pretty solid understanding of (sunni) Islam and how it is practised in the region. I'm pretty versed in the basics of Shi'a Islam as well though.

My mother was Iranian and fled after the revolution, I was brought up in an Islamic household, however I am non practicing.

My hobby is Pre-colombian Central America if that helps, note: I am absolutely no help for anything in the past 500 years.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
You might want to check out available ethnographies on your subjects as well, just as a way to get more information.

If you're interested, I was born and raised in small-town Montana before running off to USC for four years. I'm glad to say that these days, I'm glad to be watching California from a distance.

Good luck.

Aquilegia

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take Pacific Northwest for 200, Alex! Is Cascadian an ethnicity? C'mon, we have our own flag. Anyway, C.M above me probably has you covered, but if you need more, I was born in Seattle, lived there eight years, then my family moved up into the mountains right up next to the edge of a national park.

And do you need someone who grew up in military culture as in "Army brat" or adult members?

ETA: Oh, whoops. I just noticed you requested contact via email. Above still applies, though.

Last edited:

K. Andrew Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kandrewsmith.blogspot.com
Thanks to everyone that responded. Like I said in the original post, this is very preliminary stuff, and I don't know everything that I need. At some point I'll get in touch to ask questions, but I don't know exactly when that will be.