Tactful and appreciative response?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I have been lucky enough to have a couple of agents express interest in my novel, and one now has it under an exclusive review. This is the letter I was going to send the second agent who just asked for a partial. Am I saying too much? Not enough? The wrong thing(s)?
Thanks for all input and suggestions.

Dear Ms. Agent,
Thank you for your interest in my novel, XXXXX. Just before receiving your letter requesting the first fifty pages another agent called me and asked to review the manuscript, and asked for a thirty-day exclusive reading period. Naturally, I granted her request but should the book become available again I will immediately send you the pages you requested.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well... actually if it's only a 30-day exclusive period, I'd probably not even mention it to the second agent. Instead, I'd just say I'd send him the partial -- that's all.

Just because the agent sends you a request, doesn't mean he needs the partial on his desk ASAP. If anything, if it's not an exclusive read, he'll probably set it in the slush pile for a while until he has time to read it. So, I think it's a good courtesy to reply so that he knows you've received his request, but it's not necessary that you send him a partial right the way.

LaViers

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question,

I just sent an email to a agent that I pulled from a list. When you were querying agents, how did you approach them?

Also, I realize to get interest from an agent does not require a monetary commitment on my part, but if an agent does accept my manuscript (or yours) does it cost anything for the representation, or is it simply a percentage of the royalties that they seek?

Allan

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
LaViers said:
Quick question,

I just sent an email to a agent that I pulled from a list. When you were querying agents, how did you approach them?

Also, I realize to get interest from an agent does not require a monetary commitment on my part, but if an agent does accept my manuscript (or yours) does it cost anything for the representation, or is it simply a percentage of the royalties that they seek?

Allan
Most agents charge back for out-of-pocket expenses, such as photocopying, shipping, etc.