Terminal Cancer

~Country Girl~

Registered
Reaction score
One of my MC's is diagnosed with terminal cancer at the age of 23. What types of cancer could it be? What would be the symptoms that sent him to the hospital in the first place? Any input will help greatly thanks ahead of time.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Pretty much any kind of cancer can be terminal, especially if caught late. Pancreatic comes to mind as one with a low survival rate.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If you want one that is a bit rarer, I know of a young man that the drs kept misdiagnosing on everything from allergies to all kinds of nose problems. Turned out he had sinus cancer. They did treat and operate...it was a pretty bad time.

If they would have messed around much longer it would have gone into his brain. I guess it was just not something they see very often and it never crossed their minds it could be cancer. This was several years ago, not sure if it could happen now.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Melanoma
I lost a school friend to it when he was still in his twenties

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Testicular cancer. Right age and the embarrassment factor of 'lumpy privates' could make for an interesting delaying tactic, should you need to draw it out a little.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I had a son who died from a brain tumor. It started out with headaches, dizziness and occasional loss of balance--was misdiagnosed as allergies. After six months of me jumping down the doc's throat, they finally did a CAT scan and found the tumor. You can PM me if you want more details.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I lost a friend to melanoma in her twenties, too. She had a spot that seemed odd and didn't clear up. [I don't know how early that usually strikes - she was addicted to tanning beds and laying out :( ]

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
My Dad has squamous cell carcinoma...similar to melanoma in that it's skin cancer.

It's been spots on his head, arms, and face for the last 15 years or so but in the last 2 years it's metastasized.

Since this happened his symptoms have included extreme weight loss (went from 190 to about 130 in the last six months), fever, night sweats, and a lot of pain that's caused by one of his many tumors. This one in particular is attached to his lower spine and wrapped up in his nerves. Before he sought treatment he had gotten to the point that he could hardly walk.

This has progressed very very quickly in the last 6 months. Last year he was tumor free. Now he has so many they can't even try to remove them all. One in each lung, several in his kidneys, spine, adrenal gland, and who knows where else.

I think you can take any type of cancer and make it terminal based on the stage. He's stage IV...that's bad.

Just found out yesterday that it's terminal.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
reading this thread, I want to gather up Greta and Karen Junker and hug them.
Karen, I'm sorry for your loss. Greta, you have my sympathies xx

~Country Girl~

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry as well but I thank you for the information. I actually had decided on a brain tumor last night as I layed down to go to bed. So thank you again for your input.