Grrr (or the case of the wandering stickdisk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I couldn't find the stickdisk with my WIP on it. I had taken it with me so I could download it to a friend who agreed to beta what I had so far. (Part of the reason I wanted him to read it was because he knows a lot about one of the subjects my story revolves around.) Then I ended up putting it in my purse. I couldn't find it. Fortunately, I had recently printed it out (it was 80+ pages and 20k+ words) so I ended up getting another stickdisk and began transcribing it back onto my computer. (I usually have a copy printed out as back up and to use in my writing group.)

And you know what? I just found my original disk. Now I just have to decide whether or not I should continue retyping it since that allows me to get back into the swing of writing again. I've been lazy recently because I got stuck on a scene. That and I was able to tighten up a couple of scenes that were bothering me.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you found it. I have three of those all with copies of my stories, as well as harddisk copies and an online storage site.

I'm what they call paranoid; I would recommend more than one copy since those flash disks are quick to poop out or corrupt. I had to fish a lot of my stories out of one using the help of a friend and a (illegally obtained) program.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I couldn't find the stickdisk with my WIP on it. I had taken it with me so I could download it to a friend who agreed to beta what I had so far. (Part of the reason I wanted him to read it was because he knows a lot about one of the subjects my story revolves around.) Then I ended up putting it in my purse. I couldn't find it. Fortunately, I had recently printed it out (it was 80+ pages and 20k+ words) so I ended up getting another stickdisk and began transcribing it back onto my computer. (I usually have a copy printed out as back up and to use in my writing group.)

And you know what? I just found my original disk. Now I just have to decide whether or not I should continue retyping it since that allows me to get back into the swing of writing again. I've been lazy recently because I got stuck on a scene. That and I was able to tighten up a couple of scenes that were bothering me.

Not sure if its what you're asking but here's what I do, regardless of how much time has passed between writing.

Everytime I sit down to write, I read and edit the very last chapter I wrote. I do not read everything I've written since the last time I sat down, just the very last one.

This accomplishes two things.

1. It allows me to ease into writing for that day. I'm editing and not having to stare at a blank page.
2. It allows me to reacquaint myself with the story, and remember where I left off. This helps with continuity.
3. It gives a rough edit of one of the chapters.

I used to be like you and end up rewriting stuff from scratch when I wasn't happy with the way it was going, or because I felt lost in the story and didn't know where to go with it.

But after rewriting my first novel like 10 times, i realized it was more productive to push through to the end before going back.

So I said all that to say, whichever version you've got more progress on, I'd pick that back up.

Take the changes you made on the rewrite, and incorporate them when you go back to edit.

btw

2 =/= 3.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this was just a rant because I found my old disk after I put so much work into re-entering my story. :Shrug:

Everytime I sit down to write, I read and edit the very last chapter I wrote. I do not read everything I've written since the last time I sat down, just the very last one.

Normally I do this too. Occasionally I do re-read what I've written just to see what I have so far. But normally it's just the last paragraph or last scene.

I realized after I posted this that I had another, older copy on a CD.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If you have printed pages of your WIP you don't really need to re-type it. Scan the pages as .jpeg files, then run the pages through a word-recognition program. Much, much quicker than typing, but if it is helping you get into the swing of things again...

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
If you have printed pages of your WIP you don't really need to re-type it. Scan the pages as .jpeg files, then run the pages through a word-recognition program. Much, much quicker than typing, but if it is helping you get into the swing of things again...

I've never heard of this "word recognition program" you speak of. Do tell? Where might one find one of those?

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
20K doesn't sound like it will take too too long to transcribe. It might be worth it if it helps you get back into the groove. Plus it's like penance for losing the stick in the first place. :)

I will not misplace my stickdisk again.

Nicole

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of this "word recognition program" you speak of. Do tell? Where might one find one of those?

There are a few different ones kicking around. The one I used came free with XP waaaay back when I bought my Vaio. They take printed words from an image and transform them into editable words (saving to Word documents or any similar writing software you have), but the 'image' parts are left intact as small pics in the body of the text.

Try looking through sites with freeware and you shound find something which does the job better than the paid-for versions.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I couldn't find the stickdisk with my WIP on it. I had taken it with me so I could download it to a friend who agreed to beta what I had so far. (Part of the reason I wanted him to read it was because he knows a lot about one of the subjects my story revolves around.) Then I ended up putting it in my purse. I couldn't find it. Fortunately, I had recently printed it out (it was 80+ pages and 20k+ words) so I ended up getting another stickdisk and began transcribing it back onto my computer.
You mean a single solitary "stickdisk" (obviously a USB Flash Drive, though I don't recall seeing that word for it before) was/is the ONLY place you have your WIP, other than the printout? The only way I could halfway imagine this being justified is if you're using someone else's computer and you don't want a copy of your work left on their machine. You should still make a second copy of the file, on another stickdisk or on CD-R or something.

ALWAYS edit/add to the file on the computer's hard disk (almost always C: but if it's set up for D: to be used as a data drive, either virtual or an actual second hard drive, you can/should use that). When you've saved and closed the file, then COPY the file to your stickdisk. If you're online, ALSO email it to yourself through Gmail. If you don't have Gmail, get it.

This way if the stickdisk gets dropped in a fire, you still have at least one copy, on the computer's hard drive. If the computer gets struck by lightning, you still have at least the copy on the stickdrive. You also have the Gmail copy if something happens to both.
(I usually have a copy printed out as back up and to use in my writing group.)

If retyping and editing-while-you-go works for you, sure. Just remember you will have two copies, and you want to save them both. Add the date you started retyping to the filename of the newer one so you can easily distinguish it from the original.

Don't worry about how much space having several copies of files take. This isn't a copy of a DVD or movie file. Your full formatted manuscript file probably takes up 0.01 percent of the space available on the disk drive and stickdisk.
It's actually a CHARCTER (as in a graphic representation of a character) recognition program, usually called "OCR" for optical character recognition. It looks at the graphic image of each letter on a page and makes a text file with the letters. Google OCR. Some scanners come with OCR software, or at least time-limited OCR software that they want you to use, rely on, then buy when the time limit runs out...

Also, these OCR programs may still not be 100 percent accurate, so you need to proofread the file it gives you.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I do have a CD with an earlier version of my WIP. And I had sent a copy to someone in my writer's group so I wasn't totally without backups. lol

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Losing WIPs suck. After my flash drive went south last year (and took a completed short story with it) I make sure to have no less than three copies of my stories. I email one to myself after making major changes, use an online storage site, have another copy on my computer, and often have a version on my flashdrive, too.

If you had other copies, though, why type it up again? I dunno. Your method of protecting important work (and recovering it) would make me bald from stress. But whatever works for you.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by the ever expanding number of synonyms for 'flash drive.' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.