The Nationless

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamMac

Back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I have only the seed of an idea but here goes. I'm planning to write about the rapidly expanding group of ``citizens of the world'' in a modern sense.

To explain, the old-fashion jet-setter would be a millionaire (a million old-fashioned dollars) who would live in New York, shop in Paris and vacation in Rio de Janeiro.

The modern jet-setter may have a Chinese mother and a Saudi father, was raised partially in the U.S. and partially in Nigeria, studied at university in England and now, as an adult, flits between Belgium, Indonesia and South Africa. He has full passports from at least one nation. Often, after a conversation, he forgets which language it was in and is perplexed at feelings of nationalism in others.

Ok, I know, I just narrowed my global audience to one or two. But you get the idea.

Does anybody feel, or know somebody who feels, that he has too much of an international life to be able to call any nation his home?

I live in this millieu and can speak to many, but I'm limited to journalists, internationally-focused businessmen, diplomats, and hardcore NGO workers.

Any pointers on where to look would also be much appreciated.

Please feel free to private message me as well. I'm a long-time lurker here and am starting to post more frequenty.

Thanks, Adam

Last edited:

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Adam Mac said:
Does anybody feel, or know somebody who feels, that he has too much of an international life to be able to call any nation his home?
:hooray:Me! Me! Me!

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Global Nomads

I suggest that you check out a group called "Global Nomads" -- easily Googled -- an NGO that both promotes the idea that you're exploring, and links together people (especially young people) who feel that way.

Good luck --

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Look for sites that cater to "ex-pats" or ex-patriots. The term usually refers to Americans who choose to live abroad and really don't think of themselves as American but they also don't adopt the nation they call home.

I have a brother who lives as an ex-pat in Thailand and he has many friends there. Among them, they've lived all over the world in various places chosen for location, climate, and cheap living.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I was born in Australia, raised in New Zealand, my Dad lives in Singapore, my sister's British and I just moved my domicile from Scotland to America. If I can help just email at veingloryATgmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.