PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Loyal Mentor...

~Country Girl~
08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I have just set out on my journey in the writing world. I've always had the dream to write a novel but never the courage, but now that has changed. I recently made the commitment to myself to write a 90,000 word novel. It is a very daunting task so far. Since I am new in the writing world I would love to be able to work with a mentor. Someone who can show me ropes, teach me what they've learned through their experiances. I'm a quick and eagar learner. Though I must warn you I'm a horrible speller. If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me or e-mail me a pvtlittle08@yahoo.com. I look forward to meeting you.

Perks
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Two quick points -

1) You need to give a little more information as to what you're writing. What sort of 90,000 word novel?

and

2) Spellchecker is your friend. Your post reads a bit like you're forewarning that they'll just have to wade through bogs and fens of technical mistakes and be okay with that since you did advise them of that tendency at the outset. Spelling, grammar, and correct punctuation are fundamental and it's only courtesy to pay careful attention to the mechanics and run a spellchecker before you ask anyone to read what you've written.

Not to say that you'll catch all your errors even then. God knows I don't. I'm not a terrific typist, and especially online, it catches me out to my embarrassment all the time. I have a manuscript headed out on submission and after all the proofing, editing, hair-tearing, fine-combing, ever-loving... someone still found an error. I could just jump off a bridge.

Promise to diligently proofread your own work and you'll catch more flies... er, willing readers.

~Country Girl~
08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Two quick points -

1) You need to give a little more information as to what you're writing. What sort of 90,000 word novel?

and

2) Spellchecker is your friend. Your post reads a bit like you're forewarning that they'll just have to wade through bogs and fens of technical mistakes and be okay with that since you did advise them of that tendency at the outset. Spelling, grammar, and correct punctuation are fundamental and it's only courtesy to pay careful attention to the mechanics and run a spellchecker before you ask anyone to read what you've written.

Not to say that you'll catch all your errors even then. God knows I don't. I'm not a terrific typist, and especially online, it catches me out to my embarrassment all the time. I have a manuscript headed out on submission and after all the proofing, editing, hair-tearing, fine-combing, ever-loving... someone still found an error. I could just jump off a bridge.

Promise to diligently proofread your own work and you'll catch more flies... er, willing readers.

Oh.. of course... I'm just warning that when I'm just typing posts or e-mails I tend to have spelling errors but as far as reading my work I certainly plan on spell checking and proofreading to the best of my ability... I definitley do not expect anyone to spend hours picking out my misspelled words... thanks for the advice though I can understand where someone would assume that.

Also my work in progress is a Romance/Love story if you will. My simple plotis as follows: MC finally realizes she is in love with her best friend since 7th grade after she finds out he is engaged.

Perks
08-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Very good. I'd be useless in that category, but there are plenty of people here who would know what to tell you. In the meantime, do consider AW's Share Your Work section (password 'vista') if you're anxious for some feedback. It's a great place to establish connections and it's how I was introduced to my own writing mentor over four years ago now.

Good luck!

~Country Girl~
08-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks... I may try that later on. I don't think I've written quit enough yet. *sighs*

~Country Girl~
08-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok so I've already changed my plot. My MC falls in love with her best friend. Best friend is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor.