Yes/no/maybe editor response roller coaster making me INSANE!

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
Okay, let's just face the fact that when I go crazy, it's a short trip, but STILL. GEEZ. In less than one month:

1. Following a handful of editors taking my non-fic proposal to their boards, then saying no, one editor seemed particularly enthusiastic, said her boss liked the idea, and couldn't get it past her pub board anyway.

2. My agent started suggesting that self-publishing might work for me simply because editors are a good judge of what works, and the fact that so many of them had been interested was a sign that my work could make it if I could just get it in print (more about that here if you want to tell me my agent is wrong). But she would follow up with two editors who had not answered her last emails to them.

3. One editor WRITES BACK (!!!) and says she will take it to her board on Friday.

4. Wednesday here. No response from editor and, given her poor email communication history, no way to know what that means.

5. The OTHER editor who hadn't responded writes to say that she had gotten busy but "still very interested in this project!" (exclamation points hers) and wanted to know if it was still available.

GAAAAAAAHHHH! It's good but GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

(P.S. No idea where to post this--accomplishments? Rejections? Non-fic? Feel free to move it if I guessed wrong.)

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, let's just face the fact that when I go crazy, it's a short trip, but STILL. GEEZ. In less than one month:

1. Following a handful of editors taking my non-fic proposal to their boards, then saying no, one editor seemed particularly enthusiastic, said her boss liked the idea, and couldn't get it past her pub board anyway.

2. My agent started suggesting that self-publishing might work for me simply because editors are a good judge of what works, and the fact that so many of them had been interested was a sign that my work could make it if I could just get it in print (more about that here if you want to tell me my agent is wrong). But she would follow up with two editors who had not answered her last emails to them.

3. One editor WRITES BACK (!!!) and says she will take it to her board on Friday.

4. Wednesday here. No response from editor and, given her poor email communication history, no way to know what that means.

5. The OTHER editor who hadn't responded writes to say that she had gotten busy but "still very interested in this project!" (exclamation points hers) and wanted to know if it was still available.

GAAAAAAAHHHH! It's good but GAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

(P.S. No idea where to post this--accomplishments? Rejections? Non-fic? Feel free to move it if I guessed wrong.)

You had an agent suggest self publishing???

How does an agent make any money off of you self publishing?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
You had an agent suggest self publishing???

How does an agent make any money off of you self publishing?
If this book really is that big a hit among the editors and it takes off upon self-publication, there's always a chance it and/or future works could be picked up by a publisher, making the agent money that way.

At least that's one line of thinking.

Anywhoo, this threads about frustrations and not quite rejections, but not quite acceptances and the insanity effect caused by such non-commital responses.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
If this book really is that big a hit among the editors and it takes off upon self-publication, there's always a chance it and/or future works could be picked up by a publisher, making the agent money that way.

At least that's one line of thinking.

Anywhoo, this threads about frustrations and not quite rejections, but not quite acceptances and the insanity effect caused by such non-commital responses.

I suppose that makes sense. But hell, if I somehow managed to make enough money off of self publishing to turn a good profit, and established a reader base, I'd just continue self publishing!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KCathy,

I'm feeling your pain. I'm self-pubbing...and have been told my mulitples that they "think I really have something here." Now I guess I'm supposed to sell a billion copies without a publicist or a budget. Yeah...I know...good luck with that.

I decided it comes down to this. Do you like it? Yes? Then run with it and damn the sales numbers.

Sincerely,

Self-pubbed book pirate. Arrrrrrrrgh!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:cry: Yes, that would make me go a little bit nutters. I hope you hear something soon.