PDA

View Full Version : still feeling the sting of mostly-impersonal rejection

angeliz2k
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I had some hope for a partial request I received, but I just got an email the other night telling me I was rejected because the agent just didn't fall in love. It wasa mostly impersonal email. That's the only partial I've gotten after probably twenty to thirty queries. I have tweaked my query, so hopefully it's far better now than it was, but I'm still very bummed that I've gotten basically nowhere after slowly querying this tihng for a year. And yes, I've had book and query critiqued.

I will never give up on this book, but maybe at some point I should just focus on my next work, which might be more eye-catching. Then, perhaps, I can work backwards and present agent/publisher (God willing!) with the older WIP...

Sincerely bummed,
Liz

scarletpeaches
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
The advantage is that it was impersonal. At least they don't hate you with all the passion of the blackest hounds of hell. If they really ripped into your book that'd be a bad thing, but they just didn't fall in love with it. Maybe this is one of those times when apathy is better - or slightly less bad than - active dislike?

kuatolives
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Don't stop writing. You can query and write at the same time.
If it makes you feel any better (it probably wont) but I'm up to 600 rejections across a dozen books. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ccarver30
08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
See my post in this forum. I spent a gd fortune and got nothing. I got stung and robbed! LOL

CheyElizabeth
08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I would definitely start working on your next project! Focus your energy on that, and maybe some good news will come from your queries when you aren't even expecting it!

Phaeal
09-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Yeah, you have to keep writing. Only falling in love with a new WIP can ease the sting of rejections, because then whenever you get one, you can smile at the thought of sending the new novel to that agent. Then the next one, and the next one, and the next one, until he gets so sick of your queries, he reps you just to get you to shut up.

;)

Renee Collins
09-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Only falling in love with a new WIP can ease the sting of rejections, because then whenever you get one, you can smile at the thought of sending the new novel to that agent.

Ditto to this.