Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan-Jast

Portal Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portalhunters.com
Greetings, all! I would like to get advice on moving forward with POD publishing. First, let me explain what it is I am trying to accomplish. A colleague and I are working to create a "franchise" based around our story. Don't misunderstand me when I say "franchise". We do not have delusions of grandeur, and I do not expect to become wealthy. Not in the least. For my part, as long as this project does not become a financial liability then it will be successful, and my colleague feels the same way. But again, the goal is a "franchise", not a single book, or even a series of novels, but a story told through different media, mostly print and web-based. However, the novels will be the primary vehicle.

Our website will critical to the project. It will contain art and information about the characters, as well as free downloads; sample chapters, short-stories and (hopefully) web comics. Currently I work with people who are able to advise me on web-design and how to increase site visibility. In addition, I'm already working with an experienced artist and a graphic designer. Both will provide work for the site.

The key, now, is getting the first book to be as professional as possible. My budget is limited, but I am putting as much as I (reasonably) can into it. I am paying to have the cover designed (said artist and graphic designer are working on this as we speak), and I did pay an editor to proof the book. That brings me to the last piece; publishing.

The key here is to get a POD who produces a quality book. Since I've already taken care of cover design and proofing I am not looking for someone who does this for me. What I am looking for is someone who -- if given quality -- can produce quality. I want my customers to have a book that looks as good as one purchased in a major retail chain, or as close as I can get with the resources I have available. If there are quality issues, I want them to be my fault. (Granted, I don't want any quality issues, but if the fault is in my hands then so is the solution.)

Likewise, added promotional services are not a necessity, though could be a bonus. We have a plan for promoting our work, one which is unconventional anyway. But if we worked with someone with promotional packages, I’d consider one.

So, what place would be the best one to deal with under these circumstances? Which places produce the better product? At this point my budget is limited, so I couldn't go into the four digit figures.

I've looked at Booklocker.com, which was recommended to me. I've read good and bad about them, but mostly goo. Nothing in the bad struck me as deal breakers.

Lulu is easy, and cheap -- both nice things to have when on a tight budget. However, I've heard numerous complaints about print quality. In addition, I read an older blog where someone complained that they were issuing invalid ISBN. Not good. But what's the real deal with these people? Are they better than I've heard, or is it a case of you-get-what-you-paid-for?

Recently I read reviews on Wingspan. They sound promising, but I am still not sure what stands out about them, or if it would be any better than anyone else.

Feedback one anything posted above would be appreciated.

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
CreateSpace is pretty much free. (A very good price.) However, as I read Amazon's website, it pretty much locks you into selling through Amazon and CreatSpace's website. Personally, at the very least I'd also like to show up on B&N.com and Borders.com.

I think limited distribution is the bane of POD. The ideal would be to have POD machines in every bookstore with an accompanying catalog of everything available. It would give you total access to the reader and the retailer could offer their customer every book in the world.

Until that day comes, too many of the self-publish/POD deals are weighted too heavily to the publisher/printer. IMHO

Peace and Blessings

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
I have been pleased with Booklocker: very responsive throughout the process and a good quality product. You can read what minimum prices they set for their books (based upon number of pages and whether there is color content) in their contract which is available for viewing on their website.

Ivan-Jast

Portal Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.portalhunters.com
Thanks Nandi, I have been browsing the Booklocker site. I even got a quick reply from Angela on a question. So the print quality is good? It measures up, you think?

windyrdg, yes, having looked over CreateSpace I haven't gotten a good feeling about them. At this point, I have pretty much ruled them out. Yes, POD are definitely aimed at the publisher, but at the same time, given what they are for, it makes sense. Unfortunate, but true. I'm hoping that eBooks, like in the spirit of Kindle, will make a rise one day. This could open new avenues for authors such as myself, which aren't as practicle in today's environment.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I used Lulu for a project at work a year or two ago. This was a smallish book - trade paperback size, maybe 120 pages. Hired someone to design the cover to suit Lulu's specs, came out very nice. Did the whole ISBN distribution package and we're listed on Amazon.com. So far I - and the boss - have been very happy with it. As long as you know what you're doing in terms of formatting, it's fine.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Nandi, I have been browsing the Booklocker site. I even got a quick reply from Angela on a question. So the print quality is good? It measures up, you think?

Yes, I find that it's very good. The company uses Lightning Source. I had two problems with my proof copy, and these had to do with formatting, not the quality of the printing.

One problem I discovered, when I received my proof copy, was that there were varying numbers of lines-per-page. This is because I had neglected to turn off "Widows and Orphans" when I downloaded my MS into the template Booklocker provided.

The second problem was with the width of the margins which was one-half inch which seemed too narrow to me. Angela had told me this was the industry standard, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. When I checked other books in my personal library, they all had three-quarter-inch margins. Angela told me how to change that.

After making those changes, I was very satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.