PDA

View Full Version : Would love a review

lostwanderer5
08-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi All,

I would love to have a review of my blog - glad to have useful comments.

www.lostwanderer5.blogspot.com (http://www.lostwanderer5.blogspot.com)

Thanks

veinglory
08-26-2009, 02:28 AM
The blog loads quickly and is simple to understand. I wonder if you are narrowing your audience, it seems to by by an aspiring writer and for aspiring writers. Career-wise it might be good to build a broader platform and potential readership for your blog and future books.

p.s. a custom banner never hurts :)

Tara McClendon
08-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi,

For me dark backgrounds are always hard to read--but that's just me. I like your voice on the blog and the WIP tallies. I would agree with veinglory that a custom banner is always a good thing to add. Still, I like it well enough to follow it.

lostwanderer5
08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Thank you both. I will work on the custom banner.

veinglory - any particular ideas on how to broaden the readership? I still want it to be writing related, so not being published author, I am not sure what I can add.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Tara, thank you. I find black background with light font stops glares from the screen, easy on the eyes. But of course we all have different preferences for that. Glad you are following. I will check out your blogs too.

Fokker Aeroplanbau
08-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Writing blogs always seem to be something of a careful position, a little too extreme in one direction or another always manages to turn me off to the whole concept. There's a careful balance between sounding casually sincere, but not so much one stops listening to your ideas as a writer, while also managing to sound knowledgeable without sounding overly sanctimonious. It is a genuinely careful balance, yet you seem to pull it off with little problem. Without condoning or condemning any of the points you make, I can't help but enjoy the tone in which the blog is set in.

From an aesthetic sense I'd love to see some more wit on the blog, a little bit of personality. Certainly you have your uninspired banner, the generically dark background trying its hardest to imply emotional complexity but you're a writer. You don't need to have some sort of graphic masterpiece as much as you need a little bit of witty one-liners, a few zingers, a few cheap laughs and honestly touching sentences that reach the soul. I know it when I see it and when I see this blog, I only see a brief summary of some of your works, a little paragraph or two on some writing fetishes... Yet no reason for me to think too myself "ah, now that's funny/inspiring/moving/hilarious."

http://2pencil.blogspot.com/

It's a unused (seemingly) blog I stumbled upon (literally, not through the site ;)) and which is sort of what I'm getting at. A few funny quotes, some self-made (I'm guessing) simple graphics and while the humor is obviously geared towards the political mindset. The imagination and spirit anyone can readily identify with and even more so with a writing blog.

Hope I helped. :)

veinglory
08-30-2009, 03:38 AM
You can write anout writing, without writing for writers. For example you can talk about writing techniques without assuming the reader is personally employing them. Like a peek behind the curtain for a reader. You can also mix in "insider" posts for readers with general interest posts for all bibliophiles and used tags to allow different visitors to you site find stuff they will like. Personally I would look at building your platfrom for your potential readership, whoever that might be. I.e. talk about other books like yours, world building, research, related manga, movies and music etc.

lostwanderer5
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Title bar updated - I am not sure if I will keep that as final, but for now that's all I had time for.

Fokker, thank you for your detailed comments. I will work on interjecting more personality into my blog

Vein, thanks for your suggestions. It's a great idea, and yes my goal is to eventually increase readership, so I will work on your suggestions.

HigherEdUnderground
09-02-2009, 06:06 AM
I really like the content and look of your blog. The only thing I would change is the white text on black background. It's very tough for the eye, and people may navigate away before they're done reading just to rest their eyes. I've seen research that this color scheme can drive away readers and keep traffic low. Pick a lighter background and a darker text color, and you're golden!

DavidZahir
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I like your blog very much. Linked it on my own and became a follower.

Personally, I like the white-on-black and believe it makes good thematic sense. You pose some interesting questions as well!

lostwanderer5
09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
HigherEd, thank you for visiting. I think colour scheme issue is a never ending problem where I am never going to please everyone. I understand white background and dark text is more commonly accepted comfortable reading, but personally I find that harder on the eyes, because light background glares. But I do appreciate your comments. I may consider changing that in the future, but for now, it matches my expectation of what my blog should "feel" like too.

David,
Thank you for your comment, and for joining up. I will be sure to check out your blog shortly.

terrylynn
09-09-2009, 01:21 AM
I think there's lots of personality here! And I like your approach to your writing goals. I'm a new follower.

lostwanderer5
09-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks Terrylynn. Love pics on your blog. I am following that now.