Jumping Genres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
OK - I think somewhere else I mentioned I'm a jack of all trades master of none... I'm kind of that way in writing too. I'm not sure if that's really bad or kinda good. I don't feel like I'm really extra special at any one genre, and I don't have a particularly favorite genre either... I like everything. So when it comes to writing... I'm kind of all over the place. Is that bad? Does that mean I'm forever stuck to writing a lot of variety of 'stuff' that doesn't really ever get super better cause I'm not practicing that same genre? (Did that sentence make sense? sheesh.)

I'd like to thinik that practicing a variety of genres might lend better qualities once I focus on one genre in particular. But I'm not sure I ever WILL stick with one genre. Sometimes little stories pop in my head and they come out fun and really good... but then they never really get finished cause I don't have time... or I come up with them on the fly out loud (telling my kids stories) and they never even get to paper...

Does anyone else do this? Jump genres back and forth? I'm sure it happens in journaling (which I try to do often), but with 'serious' writing (what IS serious writing actually?) do people focus on one genre or just focus on whatever story comes up, no matter what genre?

Thanks for listening to me ramble... it's just so wonderful to talk to other people who are as nutty about writing as me. lol

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
It's called Multiple Genre Disorder. Welcome to the club. :D

I write what interests me, regardless of genre, but I do try to focus on one particular work at a time to see it through to the finish line. I might take on a side project for when I'm beating my head against a blank page with the main story, but I try to make it orderly. That's me. Everything must be neat and tidy (except in my head, where it is chaos).

There are authors who write in multiple genres. I don't think you have to stick to writing in one to make your writing "super." You just have to keep writing.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If you're serious about publication, sommemi, my advice is to pick a genre and work at excelling there, whether it's YA, fantasy, or cozy mysteries. It's much easier to sign with an agent and get a book deal with a clear idea of what you're writing, than by flitting all over the place. Your editor will likely want to get you established as an author of X, in order to sell you and your books.

Obviously, many authors write in multiple genres, and many of them use pen names in order to do so. But you still have to start somewhere. Don't be a "jack of all trades, master of none." Take the time to master something.

sommemi

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe that's my problem - I guess I'm not pining to get published right now. At least, not published in a specific genre. I just want to finish my WIPs for now and maybe self-publish. THEN, when I have time (like, AFTER I finish the patent for my business), maybe I'll focus on working on something that might get published by someone else instead of me. I guess I'll wait til then to focus on one or the other....

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Then it sounds like you're fine. :) If you're still at the beginning stages where you're exploring your options and feeling out genres, I wouldn't worry too much about doing anything except finishing some projects. Finishing something is one of the largest hurdles beginning writers face, and it's a huge accomplishment when you do.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I find a way to put mash different genres together. I write sci-fi with a heavy dose of fantasy. Fantasy with a bit of thriller. The current WIP is sci-fi/fantasy/mystery/coming of age (world-building-wise it all falls into the subgenre of Steampunk). Naturally some elements are larger than others. The mystery relates more to the unraveling of the plot and less to the tropes and setting.

Now. It hasn't sold yet. So an agent might look at it and see a god-awful mess. Dunno. So far my beta readers are responding well, though.

I'm just saying, you don't (necessarily) have to pick "only" one. But you do have to figure out a way to make it work. And, if you're talking seperate books (not combining elements in one cohesive story) then finding one genre/subgenre you're better at is probably a good idea.

My unpublished two cents. :)

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
Agents are really opening up to cross-genre books. It's something new, unusual and thrilling, when you have something like a mystery that also serves as a fantasy novel. If you can manifest your genre ADD into one big novel, I think that would benefit you most!

My cross-genres aren't all that unusual...paranormal romance, urban fantasy and some coughs of mystery. :heart:

sommemi

Registered
Reaction score
Agents are really opening up to cross-genre books. It's something new, unusual and thrilling, when you have something like a mystery that also serves as a fantasy novel. If you can manifest your genre ADD into one big novel, I think that would benefit you most!

My cross-genres aren't all that unusual...paranormal romance, urban fantasy and some coughs of mystery. :heart:

I've noticed that trend lately... quite a few books coming out that cross genres in the weirdest ways.... one not so new example being the Outlander series (Gabaldon)... combining History/SciFi/Romance and what else? It's... different. But man did it work. And it's something 'new' that helps bridge people who might never try a specific genre and now are like 'huh. I didn't think I would ever be into historical romances, but I could see myself getting into them after reading THAT.'

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I jump from one end to the other: Regency romance to sci-fi action. I have dabbled in literary fiction too. However, I don't cross them in the same book necessarily. My sci-fi actions have a smidge of romance and mystery, but not to where it would change the genre.

The Outlander is my sister's favorite romance novel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.