What computer programs to put a book together?

Kyle

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing my first book and am looking for a program to put all the pages together in the proper layout i want. I am thinking PDF can't be good enough, and photoshop is not good with text based files, so im curious if there is some kind of dedicated program form book layout design and such?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adobe InDesign or MS Publisher.

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Adobe InDesign

Yep, thats probably your best option, although if you have no experience of using the software, then I would suggest...hmm I can't think of anything now, darn.

EDIT: You could also check out Blurb, it has free book making software that you download, although you have to print through them with it. http://www.blurb.com/

There is another site that does this aswell, better in fact I think but I cannot remember the name, maybe someone else can.

Last edited:

Kyle

Registered
Reaction score
great thanks! i am so relieved to find out they are much cheaper than other programs lol!!!

would this one work?
"Adobe InDesign CS4" not sure what the cs4 is for. but is that right?

micro one seems a bit more $ is there any difference in quality? i dont mind a bit of a learning curve, but i do mind quality sacrifice :)

thanks guys/gals!

Folofop

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
would this one work?
"Adobe InDesign CS4" not sure what the cs4 is for. but is that right?

micro one seems a bit more $ is there any difference in quality? i dont mind a bit of a learning curve, but i do mind quality sacrifice :)

CS4 is just the version number, CS4 is the latest.

If you are serious about purchasing InDesign, I'd recommend downloading the trial first, to get a feel for it.

Kyle

Registered
Reaction score
ya, i did that yesterday but wont start it until i am a little further into the book :) thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it :)

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously layout all of my books in Microsoft Word and then convert them to pdf using primopdf (a freeware pdf converter).

But if you're writing your first book, I think you should be mostly concerned with actually getting the first draft written. And expect that, with a first effort, you will have to rewrite it into the ground before it's ever good enough to be published. Laying it out is the least of your problems.

My first book is buried on my hard drive. And no one is allowed to see it, because it is seriously, seriously awful.

Last edited: