Talk me off the ledge people!

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, this is gonna be a rant but I needed to vent to people who I thought might understand.

My first article ever was reporting from a stem cell conference and rather than take the words of the experts as verbatim, I researched the subject fairly thoroughly to offer a balanced perspective and also made sure to side with neither side of the debate. I try to be even-handed and subjective and would never intentionally antagonise either side.

Imagine my surprise to discover my article had been linked to as part of an argument on a pro-life debate. *So far, so good, I don't mind people referencing what I've researched carefully*.

What's really burned me is that someone has taken my article entirely out of context and flamed me without any good reason. Seriously, it's really riling me up.

To quote:
Oy ~ it's apparent article writer (from link provided by you) is either a hired-gun talking-head for big pharma (Geron, maybe?) or she's simply too lazy to have actually ''researched' ~ I suspect she was manipulated via spoon-fed sound-bytes & she happily pats herself on the back for a catchy title ~ she's done no more than perpetuate dis-information. What a tool
and:

Unlike [me], whose journalistic endeavor is suspect at best, I've done research, *considerable* research ~ I hope you'll take a gander at: http://adultstemcelltherapy.ning.com/
So here's where you talk me off the ledge people! Do I go and write a polite but snide reponse or will that be professionally damaging in the long run? (And yeah, I know, I need a thicker skin!)

Oh, and I don't work for Geron- I'm fairly sure I could actually afford to buy shiny things if I did!:D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Step away from the ledge, darlin'. You can't please everyone, especially when what you're saying doesn't support their deluded world view. Some dimwitted bridge-dweller isn't worth ruining your professional reputation over. If you make a comment, they'll make one back, and so forth until you're beyond irate. Hold your head up high and just step over them.

Reaction score
M'Lady, you are made of SHAZAM. They do not even feature on your radar.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, it's the Internet. Just because something is typed up and put on a webpage doesn't mean it's any more accurate, honest, and unbiased than the average man on the street.

I would be surprised if someone didn't take issue with or twist any article such as this.

So, step back off the ledge. I suggest you shrug your shoulders and don't reply except to those websites that you think are honestly mistaken in how they viewed your article and maintain at least a reasonably high standard for dealing with the subject. If it's just a website that going to be either for or against something unless it's strictly in line with their view, then just walk away, forget it, and give yourself a pat on the back for trying to write a serious, unbiased article . . . and start work on your next one.

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you ladies, you made me :). God, it's bloody annoying though! I really wanna shazam the shizit out of that stoopid lady.

Thank you Scarlet and Aadams. You are truly wise.:)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You are a professional. Professionals cannot afford to get into a flame war online with a site (and presumably its participants). These people were never going to have their opinions swayed by your article; the people who might be influenced by it are vastly more important. Don't jeopardize those contacts for a few minutes of feeling better because you blasted a moron.

Sit down, take out a piece of paper and write out exactly what you want to say to these asshats. Then, read the paper a few times and tack it up over your desk. That way, you've said what you want to say but are in no danger of hitting "send" on it.

Very important. WRITE, on paper, with a pen. Not in a document on your computer. Real pen and paper. You'll feel better, your professional standards will be intact, and every time this rears up in the future you can reread what you wrote, add to it, rip it down and start all over...whatever it takes. I have one over my desk right now to some idiot that bashed an interview I did and ridiculed my writing style in the comments to the interview. Every once in a while, I add some more to it. It helps. :)

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Remember, it's the Internet. Just because something is typed up and put on a webpage doesn't mean it's any more accurate, honest, and unbiased than the average man on the street.

I would be surprised if someone didn't take issue with or twist any article such as this.

So, step back off the ledge. I suggest you shrug your shoulders and don't reply except to those websites that you think are honestly mistaken in how they viewed your article and maintain at least a reasonably high standard for dealing with the subject. If it's just a website that going to be either for or against something unless it's strictly in line with their view, then just walk away, forget it, and give yourself a pat on the back for trying to write a serious, unbiased article . . . and start work on your next one.

You're absolutely right Alleycat. It smarts a lot but I suppose that's something I will have to learn to deal with if I want to be a journalist. It's only bugging me because that person is describing themself and not me but I will shrug my shoulders and in future, resist the urge to google myself!:D

Thanks for the sound advice Alleycat.:)

Reaction score
If you want to hire me to kneecap the fecker, it's a couple of mars bars and a bottle of lucozade. I'll provide my own weaponry.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to hire me to kneecap the fecker, it's a couple of mars bars and a bottle of lucozade. I'll provide my own weaponry.
I could come along too! I'm sort of a . . . uh, big fellow (think of one of those Mafia enforcers you see in the movies). And well-armed! ;-)

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
You are a professional. Professionals cannot afford to get into a flame war online with a site (and presumably its participants). These people were never going to have their opinions swayed by your article; the people who might be influenced by it are vastly more important. Don't jeopardize those contacts for a few minutes of feeling better because you blasted a moron.

Sit down, take out a piece of paper and write out exactly what you want to say to these asshats. Then, read the paper a few times and tack it up over your desk. That way, you've said what you want to say but are in no danger of hitting "send" on it.

Very important. WRITE, on paper, with a pen. Not in a document on your computer. Real pen and paper. You'll feel better, your professional standards will be intact, and every time this rears up in the future you can reread what you wrote, add to it, rip it down and start all over...whatever it takes. I have one over my desk right now to some idiot that bashed an interview I did and ridiculed my writing style in the comments to the interview. Every once in a while, I add some more to it. It helps. :)

Do you really do that? That's a fantastic idea and I imagine immensely therapeutic. I have it all written in a reply on the site (I stopped myself) and I am going to diligently copy it down and have a bonfire with it!:D

Seriously, thank you so much everyone. I'm glad I came here for the reassurance before I did something which may have proved to be professionally stupid.

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score

I offer two Mars Bars, a 2litre bottle of Lucozade and a bag of Haribo jelly mixes to the first person to bring me her knees. And...... go!

I never doubted you had your own weaponry. That's why you're full of shazam!:D

Reaction score
My weapons are: a bad attitude and my ladies' grumpytime.

You don't mess with me this week, people.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Do you really do that? That's a fantastic idea and I imagine immensely therapeutic. I have it all written in a reply on the site (I stopped myself) and I am going to diligently copy it down and have a bonfire with it!:D

Seriously, thank you so much everyone. I'm glad I came here for the reassurance before I did something which may have proved to be professionally stupid.

Yes, I really do that. I learned how to do this as a teenager who was cursed with the ability to speak before she thought things through. My journal from those years was little more than unchecked tirades against everyone that I thought was 'against' me. I've found since I started writing professionally that it really works for situations like this. It's much the same way that I print out personalized rejections and pin them up in my study. It's a way to educate myself while I work--and it keeps me (hopefully) from doing something stupid.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Do you really do that? That's a fantastic idea and I imagine immensely therapeutic.

Once I saw an excerpt posted in SYW for critique. The excerpt was, um, problematic. I'd also had some concerns with the way the writer handled past criticism.

I wrote the most fantastically snarky reply EVER. I MSTed the heck out of the excerpt. I had a great time doing so.

Then I deleted the reply without ever posting it.

Felt good, didn't hurt the writer, didn't break the rules of the site.

Hope that helps... and sorry about the person who flamed you.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Seriously Millicent, m'lady... are trolls worth worrying about? No. Consider them... the pimple on the butt of the internet. Irritating, yes, but you know they will go away on their own. If you poke and prod them, they just swell up and become infected.

Reaction score
And then they burst.

And we'll all be covered in trollpus.

And it'll all be your fault.

Millicent M'Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Mscelina, that's a great way to vent. I remember I used to do the same when I was younger so it's probably a good idea to bring it out of retirement. I have actually erased the reply I had typed out on the website and am now pulling out a piece of paper and a pen to rant, rant, rant!:D

Do you still get this riled about it now? Or do you build a thicker skin over time?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You will probably feel an overwhelming urge to respond again sometime in a moment of weakness.

Put a note above your desk, something like: I am a professional writer trying to meet the highest standards of my craft. I do not respond to Internet yahoos, or take their criticisms to heart.

;-)