Communal living AW style

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend from work the other day and we got on the topic of starting a commune. It's an idea that has always intrigued me. So, I started to wonder what life would be like if the good folks on AW all lived as one big dysfunctional family.

So, if you lived in the AW commune, what would you contribute, how would you spend your time, and how do you think it would work out? Random thoughts on the topic more than welcome.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would ever work. Most communes that manage to stay committed have folks who are of the same mind and have the same basic philosophy. This is way too diverse a group.

But if we did have a commune, I guess I could help design and build the housing and other buildings needed.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would ever work. Most communes that manage to stay committed have folks who are of the same mind and have the same basic philosophy. This is way too diverse a group.

But if we did have a commune, I guess I could help design and build the housing and other buildings needed.

Me either, but it's fun to speculate. Especially in a forum where all of the bloodshed would be figurative.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Over at Ray's House of Love, we've often mentioned how great it would be if we all lived in the same town. A commune is just the next step, right?

I'm be the earth-mother type, making sure everybody has enough to eat and some place to sleep, even if it's just a sleeping bag on another member's floor.

Maryn, who knows there are people here who did the commune thing

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me either, but it's fun to speculate. Especially in a forum where all of the bloodshed would be figurative.
We would become the modern-day Lost Colony of Roanoke!

We could leave just one word on a tree for future generations to find: Prologue.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
So, if you lived in the AW commune, what would you contribute, how would you spend your time, and how do you think it would work out? Random thoughts on the topic more than welcome.

I would contribute by leaving.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, poking Rob's ribs with one elbow
We have the pillory for such infractions. If that doesn't work, the culprit has to read the complete Henry James collection. There's always burning at the stake . . . everyone loves a good bonfire.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You will need an AW Compact. Just writing that should show the futility of this idea.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Robeiae, assign someone to write that up. Would ya?

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it have to be so complicated? Can't we just sit around a campfire and sing folk songs and have lots of free love?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why does it have to be so complicated? Can't we just sit around a campfire and sing folk songs and have lots of free love?
You know damn well that there's going to be one group who wants to go skinny-dipping in the creek.

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They'll roast their nuts on the campfire!

Wait! Don't you have that in reverse? Once their nuts are roasted on the campfire, isn't that when they need to cool off in the creek?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That would be the first assignment I handed out...

Oh, sorry, I meant I'd leave after I killed you and disposed of your corpse... Actually, I might leave the disposal to Angie and DL. :D