Another of seun's wedding threads...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
...except this one's a rant with sweary words...

Our wedding is a relatively small one. We've got just under 30 people coming to the registry office, then to a meal in a hotel. A couple of hours after the meal, we've got a reception in the hotel for extended family and friends. This has been the plan for about a year. With a week to go, I find out various complete fuckwits think they're OK to mess us about by not coming to the reception (and letting us find out through a third party) or assuming their partner is invited to the meal or not bringing their kids to the reception or assuming we don't mind if they bring their newborn baby to the ceremony or still not telling us what they want to eat in the meal.

All of these issues either cost us money we simply don't have or (in the case of the baby) piss us off. Apologies for sounding like a grumpy bastard, but the last thing I want on the most important day of my life is a screaming, shitting machine in the corner.

and breathe...

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but they're just going to keep pissing you off.

Except the newborn. If the baby's in a sling and nursing, I can't see it making too much noise.

Kids are a blessing, so I don't mind them. My cousin's little boy was dancing while we where doing our first dance. Everyone blew bubbles over us as we danced and he was attracted to them.

Bubbles make your dance floor slippery, btw.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We'd arranged for kids at the reception and a few people said they'd bring theirs so we upped the amount we were spending on the buffet. Not a big deal. We obviously knew people would want to eat. But to then find out some of those with kids had changed their minds, then to find this out through someone else...

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Yeah, the non-communication thing stinks. The other option is to start calling everyone. People tend to forget what the considerate behavior is when it comes weddings, for whatever reason.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Thought about calling them but to be honest, I've got enough to do without chasing people to tell them what I already told them.

I'll just have to do my best to keep calm and not tell these people I think they're a bunch of rude bastards and I'd be happier if they all fucked off.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry 'bout all the hassles seun, bet it work out aok. Hope so, anyway. Much good luck and many happy years of wedded bliss. ((((((HUGS)))))).

Reaction score
A couple of friends of mine banned children from their wedding. Many people were offended. They didn't care.

Nor would I.

Blessing my arse. They're noisy, smelly and annoying.

Threads like this remind me why I want to elope when I get married.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Hey doggie, for what its worth... Its not the most important day of your life.

Every fucking day after that is.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
All of these issues either cost us money we simply don't have or (in the case of the baby) piss us off. Apologies for sounding like a grumpy bastard, but the last thing I want on the most important day of my life is a screaming, shitting machine in the corner.

and breathe...

I was similarly opposed to having infants and small children at our wedding. We solved the problem by having our wedding in an industrial screenprinting shop that was filled with deadly chemicals, dangerous equipment, and sharp objects.

Failing that, gently reminding people that it's an "adults only" event can work too.

Reaction score
The couple I referred to above? They had 'NO CHILDREN' printed on their invitations. Some people turned them down because of this, like finding a babysitter was the couple's problem.

Still more accepted because they were glad there would be no kids there.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
assuming we don't mind if they bring their newborn baby to the ceremony

What did you think they were going to do with a newborn baby? Stick it in left-luggage?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I eloped to Chesterfield South Carolina. My wedding invitations said "Mind readers only"

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
It is inconsiderate and rude for people to dick you around like this. Any time I've had a wedding to go to, and the invitation is ambiguous, I've called and asked if it's expected that I'll bring a date or not. Is there a solution at this point in time? Probably not. Are these people who generally behave this way? Or are they ducking out without telling you simply for some other reason? Times are tough and maybe people feel like they can't afford a wedding gift.

I'd love kids at my own wedding. I'd rather have them than some of the adults. Hell, I'd probably hang with the kids more than the grown ups. :D

When I was a kid, some of the most fun I had was at one family wedding or another.

Reaction score
I'll invite you, plus one (baboon) when I marry Colin.

When I marry Shannon, bring a bottle.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'll invite you, plus one (baboon) when I marry Colin.

When I marry Shannon, bring a bottle.

I'll provide entertainment in the form of a baboon circus. And I shall bring you the gift of John Mayer.

Reaction score
Haggis, consider yourself invited to my wedding to John Mayer. I'll pay you to cock your leg against Jennifer Aniston when she shows up.