Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, as you may know, I hate fourth ed of DnD

Why?

Lots of reasons!

Most of them based around the simplified rules, the completely bumfucked alignment system, the focus on combat, the lack of customization...

Its a fine game, don't get me wrong.

Its just a fine game for...other people. The ones over in the next room. They can stay there!

Pittoohey!

Anywho, it turns out that a group of people who worked on 3.5 didn't want to abandon the system and all the neat stuff that was built up around it. And so, they took a bunch of house rules, modified them, then turned it into a new system. Its not 4.0...but its not 3.5.

Its Pathfinder, baby!

Its got more choices, more customization, and more less broken shit than in 3.5.

And I got the core rule book!

Oh, also, the DM's guide and the Player's handbook are rolled into one book for Pathfinder. Very very nice.

Anywho, once I'm done learning the rules, I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a game of Pathfinder...right here!

On this very forum!

And whats nice is its kinda a writing exurcise too. Kinda. Sorta. Not really. It'll be fun. Honest!

Tomothy_Mayhem

Holy Emperor of the Imperium
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, I've got myself the Core Rulebook and am starting to put together a series of supplements based in my own Campaign Setting which I hope one day to publish in one big book thanks to the OGL.

-Tomothy

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool, eh?

I've been building a jungle world that's under the boot of a warlike human empire that's using stolen technology and magic from the ancient civilization in the past...

Its fun!

Frankly, its been a lot of fun making this setting. For one thing, everyone is dark skinned what with its equatorial setting. And for another thing, jungle elves are way more hardcore than forest elves...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working my way through a stack of GURPS books (a couple of years worth of catching up methinks), so I can't see myself taking up D&D (or AD&D) unless I get a shitload of free time on my hands. I never got past the second TMNT handbook, and that came out in, what? 1989? 1990? Hell, I would be hard pressed to find time to read an actual novel at the minute, so I have been sticking with walkthroughs (BradyGames) or short story collections.

Feral_Sophisticate

Warming maid's buttocks since 1989.
Registered
Reaction score
Meadowvale, Ontario, Canada, Earth, The Sol System
Website
fetlife.com
So, as you may know, I hate fourth ed of DnD

I didn't know it, but I dislike it for much the same reasons as you.

Its Pathfinder, baby!

Its got more choices, more customization, and more less broken shit than in 3.5.

And I got the core rule book!

Oh, also, the DM's guide and the Player's handbook are rolled into one book for Pathfinder. Very very nice.

Anywho, once I'm done learning the rules, I was wondering if anyone wanted to play a game of Pathfinder...right here!

I just bought the core rulebook, bestiary (volume 1) and the GM screen for $80, plus shipping and taxes. I'll probably buy a few more books once I'm more used to the system. I know I want the second bestiary, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Advanced Player's Guide and the GameMastery Guide, too. I just ain't made of money, ya know. :)

As for playing a game here... As long as the GM isn't a stickler for daily posts, I would be interested, to say the least. :)

But then again, the OP was over a year ago. I suspect interest has waned considerably since then, perhaps.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've been running my way through the Pathfinder Sandpoint chronicals six part adventure. It's been going really well. My party has a witch, a sorceress, a monk of the five winds and a ranger, and are piecing together the horrors of the Foxglove Manor house.

I love haunted house stories.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I hate 4th edition D&D because it feels like a dice and paper version of WoW. There's no depth to the way you build characters.

Now that said, 3.5 had a lot of issues and was pretty vulnerable to power gaming, but with the right house rules a lot of those issues could be addressed. However, it had such variety in terms of gameplay that it completely made up for the balancing issues it had.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
I hate 4th edition D&D because it feels like a dice and paper version of WoW. There's no depth to the way you build characters.
There can be depth, but it has always felt to me like you're giving your characters depth /despite/ the system, rather than /within/ it. (Mind you, Eberron as a system sort of encourages coming up with marginally more backstory based on the whole Houses portion of the setting, but only marginally.)

Honestly, D&D4e seems to balance the actual mechanics of combat better -- keep an encounter moving more quickly -- than 3.5 did. It just sometimes feels like it does so at the expense of depth in story or character.

(Mind you, I'm someone who loves Traveller, because if you use the classic chargen rules it's not possible for someone to create a character that doesn't have backstory. YOU WILL HAVE RIVALS. YOU WILL HAVE MISHAPS IN YOUR PAST. AND YOU WILL LIKE IT. THERE WILL BE STORY, DAMN YOU ALL! But, er, Traveller is not what I'd call a system for quick and speedy encounters.)

Status
Not open for further replies.