Need Some Quick Advice Re: Following Up

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some opinions, if you all don't mind. :)

I applied for a gig a couple of weeks ago. It's a steady writing/editing/community building type of gig that, due to the subject, seemed like a job custom made just for me. When I sent my resume I told then this same thing in my cover letter--that this looked ideal for me.

Within 30 minutes I heard back and she agreed that I looked perfect for the position. We arranged a phone interview and it went well (I think). She said she would let me know after she went through all the apps. She also said to let her know if I thought of any questions. The projected start date for the job is Sept. 1.

About a week later, I wondered what was up, so I emailed and asked if she was going to notify everyone or just the person selected for the job. She replied that she would absolutely notify everyone.

Now it's another week later and I'm going nuts wondering what is happening on her end. I really need this gig as my husband is now unemployed. I don't think he'll have trouble finding work, but it will take time. My current regular gig isn't quite enough to cover everything we need. I'm very anxious to know if I'm getting this gig or not so I can relax a bit.

My question is, would it look bad if I email again and ask how things are coming along? Or would I look like a pest and end up ruining any chance I may have had? I was very encouraged by her quick response to my resume. She seemed to like my ideas for the site. I thought I had a really good chance but the longer I wait the more I think I won't get it. I'm losing my mind here and would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Kathleen

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Ok, first, take a deep breath.

Now, write a polite email to just "check in". Don't sound desperate or overly antsy. Maybe just a little note saying that you noticed the start date for this job is coming soon and you wondering if they made a decision yet. Throw in something about a great idea you have for the site and how you're really looking forward to working with them.

I don't think it will hurt your reputation as long as you stay sane and pleasant.

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
:) Thanks. I think I've gone way beyond "sane" at this point. lol But pleasant isn't a problem. :) I was so excited about the job because it does seem so perfect. I even had to apologize at one point for getting so excited but she didn't seem bothered by it. I just had so many ideas that I started rambling. I caught myself before I got too carried away.

So emailing her again won't look like I'm being a pest? Because I really do want to email her, but I don't want to jeopardize my chances.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I would wait until after the day you were told she'd get back to everyone. She knows you want the job, you've made a good impression. Now it's their turn to decide. Plus if you need to ask for a higher salary or better benefits you'll be in a better position to negotiate if they don't know you're dying to say yes.

Just my 2 cents, I could be completely wrong. :)

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's the problem. She never actually said when she was going to get back to everyone. If I knew, it wouldn't bother me so much! :)

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
My two cents is that unfortunately, although it will drive you crazy, you just have to wait. You already followed up once. You got a clear answer that you WILL hear even if the answer is no. I'm afraid I can't see any rationale for following up again.

Hiring often takes longer than people expect, and remember it won't happen any faster if the decision-making people have to spend all their time answering followup emails. And start dates can change. And really, absolutely nothing happens work-wise many places in the latter part of August.

You need to find something else to work on to take your mind off it. Really, you're lucky that she at least promises that you'll hear if the answer is no. That's getting pretty rare nowadays.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Wombat - spend your time applying for other gigs while you wait. If you haven't heard anything by Aug 31 or Sept 1 maybe you could send a note asking if they picked anyone or moved the start date back, but even that might look better if you wait an extra week.

If it's meant to be, it'll be.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Personally I would not follow up. They were clear that they would get back to you and if you are going to get the gig, they will!

I concur that getting busy w/ other stuff is the best way to take your mind off of it.

Hope you get it!! Let us know what happens, will you?

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I will let everyone know as soon as I hear something. :) It's true; it's a good thing that she plans to notify everyone. In fact, I was just telling my husband how nice that is because so often you never hear anything unless you get the gig.

I guess I'm just a little stressed right now about our finances until he finds work. If I know I have the gig, that will take off a huge amount of stress. I could actually support us without my husband getting any work (not that he would go for that, but it could be done if necessary).

I keep thinking I have to hear something in the next few days. It's getting down to the wire and she will be deciding something any day now I'm sure. It's just that with each day that passes, my confidence erodes a bit more. After the interview, I was sure I had it. Now I'm worried that my chances aren't as good as I thought they were. Just the fact that she responded to my initial contact so quickly really gave me some hope that she thought I was a good fit. Now I'm not so sure. Is that silly?

I keep looking at our bank balance and getting panicked. I may have to bust out a few extra articles on Demand to cover gas/food until something else falls into place. I wonder how little sleep I can actually function on? ;) At least with my husband here, I can focus on working while he takes care of other responsibilities around here instead of everything being on me. So that alone will be a big help. He expects to be here tomorrow sometime. He's been gone for a month, so it will be good to have him home. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Wombat - spend your time applying for other gigs while you wait.

If it's meant to be, it'll be.

I agree...

...I've worked in Human Resources, and there are a number of reasons for hiring delays such as background checks, contacting references, getting upper-level approvals, payroll and accounting issues, paperwork getting buried on someone's desk, etc. etc. etc.

Best wishes and keep us posted. ;)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Logically, I don't think you have much choice but to wait. She acknowledged your query and advised that you are in consideration. She told you she'd get back to everyone. Calling her again (or email) can only annoy her. It definitely won't convince her to give you the job. If you don't hear from her by Sept. 1, that's the time to give her a shout out.

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
You all are right. And in the back of my mind, I knew the answer already. I just didn't want it to be the right answer. :)

I'm glad I posted here instead of emailing her. Thanks all for talking me off the edge. ;)

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats for being considered ideal for the job! That is good news already!

I too suggest finding stuff to do instead of fretting - if writing articles for Demand would ease your mind, by all means do so.. Are there any other ways for quick cash you can find & think of? You could also send some queries to higher paying markets to have something lined up for later 'just in case'.. Applying for other jobs or local newspapers/mags would be okay also, as you would be in a better negotiating position if several companies would be interested in you.. (plus your confidence would soar again!!)
& by all means, may your hubby keep searching, who knows, maybe you both can land something fab?

Ha! You could even write an article/essay on not being notified right away & waiting to hear from would-be employers..? ;)
A cousin once went through 3 rounds of interviews, worked as a trial for a company for several days, & in the end didn't get through - this wouldn't be fun or inspiring if it wouldn't be such a silly company - selling shoes!! And this was years ago, she since went to University & is having a fab internship right now!
(They asked her for horoscope sign & sub-sign in one of the 1st interviews, by the way!! Upon which she just went, hmmm? Guess it should've told her they're not a serious company to reckon with, lol!)

I'm pretty sure YOUR company must be better than THAT!! (Any company is probably better than that!! And at least you wouldn't be required to sell shoes!!)

Last edited:

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
lol That is crazy. Maybe it's a good thing that she didn't get the job. Sounds like they are sort of a weird company. :)

I've been putting out quite a few applications. And I do have quite a lot of work this month. Normally it would all be done by now but since we just moved recently, I'm still trying to get myself put back together.

So I certainly have enough to stay busy and keep my mind off of it for a while, it's just the stress of wondering. I've never had to wait so long to find out about a job before! :)

K. Marshall

Registered
Reaction score
Just an update. I got the email today. I did not get the position even though I was "an extremely strong candidate." Very disappointed.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sorry to hear about it..

Well, they're probably going to keep you on file & may call you again if their first choice doesn't make it or such.. So maybe just write them a nice thank you note (for letting you know) & say you'll be happy to hear from them if something new opens up or such?

Hope you get an even better job or a few!!

/& yes, my cousin was really angry at them & disappointed at first, I think she was glad then cause they really sounded like an odd company!!/