Does anyone else smell a press release . . .

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
....potentially offering as big a leap in our viewing experience as the change from black-and-white television to colour.

I remember when they were saying that about HDTV. I think this is going to be a very good, potentially great movie, but they hype surrounding how visually astonishing and revolutionary it's going to be just seems like it's setting expectations way too high. Especially the black-and-white vs. color comparison. It's strange to even say this, but I don't think some people appreciate how drastically different a black-and-white image is from one in color.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when they were saying that about HDTV. I think this is going to be a very good, potentially great movie, but they hype surrounding how visually astonishing and revolutionary it's going to be just seems like it's setting expectations way too high. Especially the black-and-white vs. color comparison. It's strange to even say this, but I don't think some people appreciate how drastically different a black-and-white image is from one in color.
It's probably going to be one of those movies where people say they liked it even though they didn't so they won't get called a jelose looser on messageboards. So far, all I'm seeing "new" and "revolutionary" about it is Cameron created the cameras he needed to make the film.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, I need to call James Cameron and tell him. "STOP FOCUSING ON THE FUCKING CAMERAS!"

And then give him a long rant about how a sci-fi film by him with the plot I've seen so far is GOOD ENOUGH to get people really flipping excited! Its James Cameron, for gods sake! He made Terminator, Aliens, and Titanic...we don't need this crazy hype over some cameras!

Unless the cameras are really that awesome, in which case, my head will explode.

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The second I read a story that mentions Spy Kids with 3D I cringe. That was one movie out of many, many movies. 3D was great. 3D packed theaters. 3D worked at times. It just is sometimes like a teen comedy, sometimes it gets old if not original or fresh.

It is just a few hours now until I leave for the Avatar film screening. I want to experience this "immersive" experience that Jim keeps talking about. Personally, I think that would need screens on the sides, on top and in front to be immersive. And I don't know why people don't do that. It would make epic vista shots incredible and war scenes to be simply unbeatable.

(Each screen showing a different image- of a much wider shot, kind of like when people have multiple computer monitors. Now THAT would be immersive.)

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score

True, the bar has now been set though so we will see what happens.

Seriously, I need to call James Cameron and tell him. "STOP FOCUSING ON THE FUCKING CAMERAS!"

And then give him a long rant about how a sci-fi film by him with the plot I've seen so far is GOOD ENOUGH to get people really flipping excited! Its James Cameron, for gods sake! He made Terminator, Aliens, and Titanic...we don't need this crazy hype over some cameras!.

QFT

In fact, if I were him I wouldn't even show clips or release a trailer. I just release a single line of marketing.

I'm James Cameron, bitch, watch my next movie, nuff said!!!

Incidentally, if they have all this technology, why do they aliens have to look so human. that was one reason I really liked District 9. Give us some ALIEN aliens for Pete's sake.

Mel...

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
"Cameron waited 15 years before starting filming as technology had not advanced enough to portray his vision."

Isn't that the same blah blah George Lucas gave about StarWars?

I'll consider it revolutionary when they figure out how to project in 3D without the glasses. Other than that, looks like a neato scifi flick.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If -- and this is a mighty big if -- the technology does turn out to give a fluid 3D experience, then I agree that it is as big a leap forward as going from black and white to colour. I remember those stereoscopic viewers that let you see a 3D image when you placed it above a related stereo image. The difference between a flat photo and what I saw the first time I looked through those viewers was incredible. The image had depth. Looking at the reference 2D image of the ground from the air did nothing for me. But the moment I looked through the viewer I seemed to be suspended in the air looking down at the ground. I felt a rush of vertigo and had to pull back to ease the dizziness. It was an astonishing sensation. If they can really, truly do this with a movie screen -- wow.

Since it is a standard in-front-of-you movie screen and not a wrap-around screen, it won't be truly immersive, but if it really works, it will be a quantum leap forward in the visual presentation of a movie.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if/hoping we can expect any Uwe Boll/Anne Rice-style smackdowns on anybody who refuses to like it...

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
One step closer to the holodeck, eh?

Yes, the one in Boston. One of the best I think. In fact, I didn't know how superior it was until I moved to another coast where Imax is a square screen. Uh, Randolph Showcase cinemas has HUUUUUUUUGE screens and doesn't call them Imax.

I agree that the DOME Imax is immersive. Or is closest to what I could describe as that. Nothing in my life has compared to it.

I remember saying years ago that action and adventure movies should show on Imax and people would laugh saying it couldn't be done. That the action would be too messy. Now look what happened. It is the best way to see it.

But anything is pretty much immersive on the dome Imax. Avatar seems to act like it is superior somehow. Oh well. Gotta go now and watch the 15 minutes. I will let you know.