job as book buyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I don’t sound too ignorant but I’m curious about the job of one who buys books for a store like Barnes and Noble. What is a day in the life of that person like? Could one move up to a position like that from working at the store? Might a book buyer (is that the right term?) have other store-related duties? Just exploring potential career options; don’t know why I never thought about it before.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
While I don't know for certain, chances are pretty good that you'd have to either work your way up from inside the company or be hired away from another company (bookstore or chain) for your experience.

The book buyers I've met over the years have all worked their way up from within.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I would think a good route into book-buying would be to start as a cashier in a book shop, and move up from there. At least, that's how a couple of my friends who do the job started out.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Since I posted this I've been thinking more about whether these jobs will last through the transition from paper to e-books. If downloading stuff becomes the norm, what will happen to bookstores?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks guys. Since I posted this I've been thinking more about whether these jobs will last through the transition from paper to e-books. If downloading stuff becomes the norm, what will happen to bookstores?

will not happen.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not sure about the US, but in Ireland/UK, most people work their way up and gain more responsibility as they go. There's more to being competent book buyers than picking random books and numbers--through working their way up, people get the necessary experience and get to know trends and what type of books sell well in different sections etc.

And I agree, paper isn't going to entirely disappear any time soon.

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Pimp My Novel -- a blog by this guy who is in the sales department of a major publisher. I remember that he's had some posts about book sellers/buyers and might respond to an email question about it. He seems to know A LOT about the industry.

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Check out Pimp My Novel -- a blog by this guy who is in the sales department of a major publisher. I remember that he's had some posts about book sellers/buyers and might respond to an email question about it. He seems to know A LOT about the industry.

I did email him a couple days ago, actually. Thanks. Hopefully he'll respond but it's good to get AW'ers feedback too.

Status
Not open for further replies.