Finding The New Kids On The Block

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've finished a manuscript, as well as have a query letter than has been workshopped for many drafts, and seems to have finally become something that both grabs attention and seems to show an exciting story.

I've begun to research agents, and have - of course - found all the big hitters. The Nelson Agency, The Donald Maass agency... IE: The Alex Rodriguez's of the Literary World.

I was very impressed at the turn around time for their rejection letters!

Being a well-published sports writer, but an unknown author to the fiction world - I was wondering if there are any good resources to finding Agents with comparable resumes to mine... who maybe haven't landed a big sale yet, but are trying... and will be more likely to ask for partials and fulls from unproven fiction writers.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
go on agentquery.com and put in what your book is like (mainstream SF etc...) and then sign up for publishers marketplace at $20 a month and go into deals and look up each agent...
Start reading each day's deals and you'll see agencies -- IMO I think a younger agent at a big agency is better than one on their own...they have far more resources...

Danthia

Sara Megibow at The Nelson Agency just got her agent wings, so she fits both a young agent and a great agency criteria. I don't know if what you write is what she represents, but she's the first name that pops to mind. I also remember The Swivet saying they just welcomed three new agents at The Fine Print Agency.

Agentquery.com is a great start for agent searching, and try to read as many agent/writing blogs as you can. That's where you find a lot of the new agent news and announcements. GallyCat is another good source for news.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I used to go to conference websites and see which agents were taking pitches, because I assumed if they were making the effort to attend, they were looking for clients.