Archive of the NEPAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

publishorperish

LaVerne

You have my sympathy. I, too, read the so-called review on livejournal. (Although, I would venture to say that it wasn't so much a review as an adolescent poop fest.) I'll admit that I did smile in laughter a little, but what struck me the most are two things: 1. You are not a bad writer. You just need polish. 2. The reviewer seemed not to understand that the sci-fi, fantasy, horror genres necessarily call for readers to suspend their disbelief. That is what makes those genres so much fun. I was more annoyed at the reviewer's lack of appreciation for the genre than anything, because it was just plain malicious.
Good luck with your writing and don't give up.

James D Macdonald

Re: LaVerne

This is getting rather far afield from PA. Let's just say that LaVerne's book shouldn't have been published in the form it was, and leave it at that.

Molly Brent

LaVern's book

James, I think this is very much PA's fault and they should be blamed.

I agree that it should not have been published but someone already proved that PA doesn't read the manuscript first.

And for an editor to let a book leave their desk that way is a disgrace. "Line by line editing"

She was given one hour to select another cover and it was approved by PA without question. "We work with our authors" She didn't know, they should have known.

Her contract was returned but they refuse to remove it from the online book stores.

She is being ridiculed, but her book is still selling, probably because of the publicity.

But, she is not being paid. In her situation even a small sum would help.

This makes me more determnined to go after them.

Savannah received her copies today and she was
very disappointed on what she thought would be a happy time. I know the feeling. It's sad and my heart breaks for her.

Breaking people's hearts may not be a crime, but that "we care about our authors" is more of their crap.

I lived in fear that I would be ridiculed because I am a first time author and knew my book needed an editor........after PA's editor got through with it, I almost had a nervous breakdown. Seriously.

One example I remember I wrote.
"The smile on his face was betrayed by the tears in his eyes."

It ended up being "He laughed" and he was at a funeral...

"He laughed" was taken from the ending of the previous paragraph and added as the beginning of the next.

If I had not fought them and had money for an editor, I'd be in her shoes right now.

Molly

James D Macdonald

Re: LaVern's book

What's far afield from PublishAmerica is discussing reviews. Me, I don't read 'em -- they aren't there for the author's benefit. And if you ignore the bad ones, you have to ignore the good ones too.

This is a wonderful example for proving that their claim that they edit isn't true.

There are a thousand heartbreaks and indignities that get heaped on authors published by real publishers, of which bad reviews are one of the smallest. Still, your worst day with a traditional publisher is likely to be better than your best day with PublishAmerica.

arrowqueen

Re: It's not verisign's fault.

Oooh! oooh! Thank you for that Search Inventory link, James. I went to it and found four of mine!

On a more relevant note, I do hope Molly and LaVerne get things sorted out. It's just another couple of examples of the shoddy treatment being dished out to decent people.

Cheers,
aq

Risseybug

I can't help myself...

But I look at that thread and :rofl :rofl :rofl !!! Especially the last poster. She said "If this one doesn't sell, RIGHT another one."

Not that people have to be perfect on message boards, fingers slip, but come on - at least know how to spell what it is you are trying to do to "make your dreams come true." You should at least have a mild command of the English lanugage, I think.

And what's up with that guy? He's calling you out, Dave. And the comment about people who "pay" to be published thinking they're better than him??? :ha
I guess he still hasn't figured out what traditional publishing really is.

I don't know whether to keep laughing or feel sick. Those poor people.

Whachawant

?????

WELCOME TO FUN WITH QUOTES.... (and yes this is meant in jest....enjoy)

....."thanks for the link, Dave"

"....All those who are laying blame at the feet of PA for their own failures are doing nothing more than refusing to admit the error of their ways......"
---one error being going with P.A. ....captin Highliner.

"my husband and son is doing their damnest to promote and pre sell...over 50 so far!".....
---wow.... big family!

f course I made reference to how silly these authors are, and what they consider "published"..........my entire comment on this message board was "cut and pasted".(heh ...lol)
f course I answered this very silly person (are you out there David)? *chuckle*...lol
I assume this post will be "cut and pasted". Silly, silly people with nothing to do. ---
------'lol...heh... call me silly ..I'm on my lunch break'

"For what ever reason these silly people think that they are cut ....(-not to mention a paste-)........above us, because they go out and "pay" to have their books published. :wha

---....of course...if you go to the link... this guy's so bored with his life, he's reading one of his own books...(probably wants to know how it ends)

"If your book is good, it will sell. Publishers don't always publish a bestseller. If this book doesn't do as well as you would like, right another one. The more "good quality" books you have out there, the more sells you will make"-----
----------this is one of P.A.'s editors...----

heh.. just lightening the mood...

ProandCon

I can't help myself...

Risseybug wrote:

"You should at least have a mild command of the English lanugage, I think."

Why don't you learn to spell before you cast the first stone! I'm sorry I pointed that out but I just couldn't help myself!

I'm surprised at Amo's incorrect statement. Of course he could be referencing some authors that have paid to publish. PA authors do draw the sharks out to play.

How about you Risseybug? Did you pay? I hope you at least paid for a professional editing.

How does it feel to be called out for not spelling a word correct? Are you mad or hurt? Poor baby!

CaoPaux

Re: ?????

That's one of PA's editors?! *cough* The full text of that last post:

If your book is good, it will sell. Publishers don't always publish a bestseller. If this book doesn't do as well as you would like, right another one. The more "good quality" books you have out there, the more sells you will make. People don't know you from Adam. Keep taking steps forward, keep writing, and if you are meant to be a known author, well, then your efforts will pay off.
<mycoffeewastoostrongthismorningrant>

“If your book is good, it will sell.” If people can find it to buy it, at a price they’re willing to pay.

“Publishers don't always publish a bestseller.” If they don’t, it’s a failure of their purchasing editor, marketing team, etc., etc. But, as is often observed, the worst day at a “traditional” publisher is way better than the best day with PA.

“If this book doesn't do as well as you would like, right another one.” I also suggest finding out why, so you don’t make the same mistake(s). I.e, price, availability, poor editing, and/or a story no one wants to read.

“The more "good quality" books you have out there, the more sells you will make.” See first point.

“People don't know you from Adam.” Which is why publishers have marketing teams, etc., etc.

“Keep taking steps forward, keep writing, and if you are meant to be a known author, well, then your efforts will pay off.” If you are meant to…so all your effort is futile if you aren’t MEANT to be a known writer. Scary, that’s all I will say about that.

</mycoffeewastoostrongthismorningrant>

ProandCon

?????

---....of course...if you go to the link... this guy's so bored with his life, he's reading one of his own books...(probably wants to know how it ends)

Now that's funny! LOL

SRHowen

Re: Borders

Sorry, but there is a difference between a typo and incorrect usage--right for write. Many of the posts on the PA board do seem to be riddled with odd grammar--my husband and son is, -- you will make more sells -- I've seen there for their as well, it's for its, your for you're, and so on.

When editing I can ignore a typo, I mark it on my typo sheet or in the ms if I am doing a paper edit, and move on. But when a ms is overrun with usage errors, I am going to reject it. The point is--how did the very same things get by the editors at PA (and into the PA produced books)--they claim to have them (editors)? Easy, they used a spell check program, right is spelled correctly after all.

The writers there were promised an editor--an editor should have found those errors, and pointed them out, thus the writers should have learned the difference between right and write and no longer use the words incorrectly. But there they are, authors, and they continue to use weird (bad, and awful) grammar, and so on.

I don't use perfect grammar on a BB--but if you have perfected your writing craft, most of what you post is going to come out correctly punctuated, correctly spelled, with proper usage. And you would certainly think that by the time you had gone through the editing process with an editor that you would have learned something. (that first time through with an editor is grueling to say the least)(even an editor learns the error of their ways)

Unless of course you editor's first name is MS and their last is Word.

Shawn

DaveKuzminski

Taken to task? You bet!

Mr. Amoroso neglects to mention to the readers on the PA forum that he wasn't picked on for being a PA author as he claims. He was pointed out for being a troll and for failing to mention that his promotion of PA constituted a conflict of interest on his part because he is a PA author.

I suppose he's reading his book to see if PA's editors changed the ending.

vstrauss

Discourse

Folks, it's one thing to refute ignorant statements, or to point out errors of fact, or to call attention to strange/depressing/silly threads on the PA message board, or even to refer to PAvidians. But it would be nice if we could draw the line at making fun of individuals.

- Mom (a.k.a. Victoria)

Risseybug

No, I'm not...

Actually, thank you for pointing that out. AS I SAID, if you had read the whole post, there is a difference between a slip of the fingers on the keyboard, causing a spelling error (in this case a mere trasposition of letters) and knowing the difference between RIGHT (meaning correct) and WRITE (which you are supposedly doing to great success). If you want to be a WRITER, this is pretty basic. Not that you can't have a great story, or a great imagination, but that someone better help you with the grammar. A GOOD, competent publisher would find and fix such an error- I doubt PA would have given one such as this a second thought.

Do you see the difference?

No, I didn't "pay" - I have submitted to traditional publishers who actually want to see my work, gratis. As in "if we accept this book, we will take full responsibility for editing, publishing and distribution, to ACTUAL stores, where you may walk in and purchase that book right off the shelf for a reasonable price. You may even return it if you are not satisfied". Meaning my only job would be to help promote my book, and to write my next one. And to collect a check.

So, sorry, no tears. Except for the poor deluded souls whos dreams will be crushed under the PA juggernaut.

By the way, what are you, six? As if a mere taunts could get me. You gotta be thick skinned in this business. Typos? Happen every day.

PS - Thanks, Shawn, for making my point before I did. I didn't see your post when I wrote this.
Victoria - you're right, making fun of individuals is not right. I guess there was no nice way of making that point. It wasn't supposed to be personal against that woman, just another example of how PA lets it's writers down by not introducing them to the simple rules of word usage. If you expect to be a writer, learn how to write. And it IS learned.

Molly Brent

Book stores

Remember yesterday when James gave us the Border's address to check out etc......... I was "in print and available." Today I am "no records match"

ISBN 1 4137 0098 5 There Ain't Enough Front Porches by Molly Marx Brent is still available on many of the online stores. Check Addall. I included this info so you can remove it from them and any others.

I'm sure they have always read what we write here, but somebody must be paying attention now.

Molly

Whachawant

RE:Discourse

call attention to strange/depressing/silly threads on the PA message board, or even to refer to PAvidians. <---??????????

But it would be nice if we could draw the line at making fun of individuals. <-----?????

Are you not making fun now.... ????:rofl

"You have a sense of humor,...but you just don't know it!!!!":thumbs

James D Macdonald

Spelling

Spelling ability has very little to do with one's intelligence, education, or ability to tell a story. Spelling is a knack. Some people have it, some don't.

Picking on bulletin-board spelling and typoes is just silly. (It happens so often that it's a cliche that the person who flames another about spelling has a misspelling in the flame itself.)

Facts are in bounds for discussion, personalities and spelling are out of bounds. In my opinion. More or less.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Risseybug

Re: It's not verisign's fault.

Yes, yes, I agree with you. As I said, nobody expects people to be perfect on message boards. Spelling mistakes are bound to happen. I also agree (as I think I posted) that it has nothing to do with creativity, imagination or the ability to tell a good story.
It is absolutely nothing personal to this person. But, as one of my character flaws, I am a grammar snob. Blame my mother who was a HS English teacher. Things like that, from adults especially, really get under my skin. That's middle school English stuff.

If someone claims they are a writer, they at least should have the good sense to know the proper use of simple words.
It all came out wrong, after rereading my orginal post regarding it, I realized that you thought I was laughing at her. I think my train of thought got all mushed together.

I guess my point is now moot, since I screwed up what I was trying to say. <shrug> Sorry.

DaveKuzminski

Re: ???

Don't let it eat at you, Risseybug. We all have our imperfections. One of mine is little tolerance for trolls. Mr. Amoroso's was a need to boast about how he was trolling over at Writers Net.

He seems to forget that most of those writers are not published yet. They're in need of dependable information on publishing, not what one individual with a "marketing" background can do. That's because most of them will not have the contacts or background to repeat what Mr. Amoroso claims he has done. Consequently, Mr. Amoroso is doing them a disservice twice by doing his best to persuade them to go with PA and then market their own books.

Molly Brent

books on internet

I don't know what happened. I checked with Borders and it said "No matches" It also disappeared from Addall later........now it is back in print again........and on the online book stores.

Molly

DaveKuzminski

Re: books on internet

Molly, a lot of times, the databases do a refresh. When that happens, it can do so from more than one source depending upon the internal design. Sometimes the source is the backup copy of the online database, so if that happens then the numbers will suddenly reappear that weren't there only hours before. It can play havoc with real inventories, but my guess is that they've got one for the inventory that is cross posted on a regular schedule to the one they use for ordering online. That way, they've always got the correct numbers, but those numbers on the online version can vary wildly until that next scheduled update.

Why does it happen? Because the online database is open to many users...buyers they hope. So, when a book is being viewed, it's normally locked from other users. However, that isn't good for sales, so they have redundant copies of the inventory pages download to each potential buyer. If a buyer locks in a purchase on the last copy, then the online version shows it as unavailable, but it might not have been purchased yet. If the buyer changes his mind, it returns to available. It's very convoluted, but it can work that way. There are other workable schemes as well. I know because I handle databases myself. Write those, too. In fact, I've done so for over twenty years. My first publications were articles and programs bought from me and published in computer magazines in the early eighties. I also wrote some computer manuals on a write for hire basis back then, too.

jafw

Re: Factual Data

Thanks Dave, for finally printing something that's easily checked.

I'm not discounting anyone's personal experience, but let's face it: We're all just people who don't know each other on a message board. We can say anything we want, so basing major life or business decisions shouldn't, IMHO, be based on other people's personal experiences on a message board.

Of course if there are enough of one side, that's different also. But in this little battle most of what I've seen is hearsay. Either PA has done something to someone (right or not) or PA has done everything they said they would (right or not also). But most of these things don't have evidence to back them up. Either "PA cheated me" or "PA's wonderful."

However, if you go to the website www.allwhois.com/ and type in preditorsandeditors.com for your search, lo and behold, you'll never guess who owns the domain. (Which I might add is parked blank - no surprise there) It would indeed be strange for a legitimate business to do such a thing.

While I didn't so much doubt you Dave, it's really refreshing to see opinions in this discussion that can be backed up from sources other than one's self or one's own website.

Thank you. :clap :clap :clap

ProandCon

Discourse

call attention to strange/depressing/silly threads on the PA message board, or even to refer to PAvidians.

Victoria,

Thanks for calling me a PAvidian. I take that as a derogatory designation. Most likely you probably call ex PA authors that hang out here the same thing when they can't hear you. I am a PA author nothing more nothing less. Not once have I ever came on here and called anybody a bobblehead (a term used by some PA authors to describe some of you guys).

Oh, Rissybug. No, I am not six years old. If you were not so mad at my comments at the time, you would have seen that other post you mentioned. All you saw was red because your true meaness was revealed after you used another author's mistake as a laugh to condemn the PAvidians. The author probably saw that she made an error after she posted. Unfortunately the PA message board is not set up to allow you to edit your mistakes like you can do on this board. That author is a very nice lady who is a foster parent for several children.

Childish? Yes, you were but it sounds like you are trying to grow up after reading your last post.

publishorperish

It is amusing

I've noticed, primarily from my correspondence with a particular PA author who has threatened to file criminal charges against me and to sue me for defamation, that PA authors like to call people who disagree with them "mean" and "jealous." They also like to personalize and invoke emotions into debates that should remain impersonal and unemotional (ex. She is a foster mother....) I've noted that this happens on the Publish America message board a lot. It is an amusing defense tactic to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.