Bloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I don't like bloom on graphics. Plus in some graphics environments it eats up processing time.

Here's a restrained bloom example (from SMERSH's collection of ArmA II "photographs"...this shows a religious procession being arrested or something)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
At times, Bloom can work just fine.

Other times, its over the top and vomited into your face.

Its all a stylistic decision, imo.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Hard to tell with that screenshot, but the sky is at least partially overcast, so the bloom effect probably shouldn't be so bright.

In most cases, bloom (and its buddy, HDR) is highly effective in producing more realistic scenes. I generally like it.

But realism isn't always something we want out of games.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Hard to tell with that screenshot, but the sky is at least partially overcast, so the bloom effect probably shouldn't be so bright.

In most cases, bloom (and its buddy, HDR) is highly effective in producing more realistic scenes. I generally like it.

But realism isn't always something we want out of games.

Charging into the Bloom. (from http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/mout_crossing_street_covered_2.jpg )

mout_crossing_street_covered_2.jpg

I'm not sure what bothers me about bloom. Is it one of those special graphics things like "lens flare" that is base more on what happens with cameras than with the human eye? I just don't see much bloom myself.
So games with lots of bloom (and I usually just shut off the bloom and other "post-processing" options)...are they using camera effects so to speak versus eyeball effects because big explosions and such are things most people playing computer games have seen only in movies?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The sun is bright. Certain surfaces reflect an irritating amount of light. Hence sunglasses and so forth. I'm not sure it's as unrealistic an effect as you believe.

But I'll gladly agree lens flare is ridiculous.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found Bloom to be hit and miss. In some games it seems to work well and others, bleh. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head though. :(

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
*Hangs head*

Another classic I've never played. :D

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Deus Ex: Invisible War. I found it pretty bloody awful in that. ;)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the HDR was great in those. That "Lost Coast" tech demo level was gorgeous. :)

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
The sun is bright. Certain surfaces reflect an irritating amount of light. Hence sunglasses and so forth. I'm not sure it's as unrealistic an effect as you believe.

But I'll gladly agree lens flare is ridiculous.

I guess the irritating effect is just too effective for me in some games, so I shut it off. Usually some other glare effect takes care of being a bit blinded at times by the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.