PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Beta Reader for Supernatural Action-Thriller

Fiender
08-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I've been looking for a beta reader to look at my 87,000 word action novel, "Devotion". Just someone to point out any inconsistencies, plot holes, glaring grammar problems and so on.
For one shining moment, it seems like Michael Robin's bad luck is turning around. The unlucky guy has finally scored the job of his dreams - but just when he thinks things are finally looking up, he's abducted by a fanatical cult who will sacrifice him to their Goddess, believing that she will grant them unimaginable power.

Rescued by a mysterious stranger, all Michael wants to do is put the unpleasant experience behind him and go back to his normal life. But he can't go back to his normal life - ever. The strange book he read at the house of his benefactor has changed Michael in ways he can't describe. His every thought now affects the world around him. Doors open and close for him, his computer starts typing on its own and every time he reaches for a glass it slides across the table into his hand.

Is it a trick? Or is it magic? All Michael knows is that he's now on the run from the cult, who will stop at nothing to claim the sacrifice they earmarked for their Goddess. The only way Michael may survive is to master his strange new skills and fight back, lest his death become the catalyst for the end of the world.
I've already had a couple of readers who didn't manage to get through the whole thing. It is a full-sized novel and I am asking for a detailed critique of my work. Please only reply if you are interested and are quite sure you can get through the whole thing.

And I'd be glad to beta for you in return. :)

Riley
08-21-2009, 05:42 AM
I'd be happy to beta for you, if you'd like. But two things:

1. I'm really out of practice. I'm still good enough to catch on to plot, characterization, pacing, etc., but I'm definitely not as sharp as I used to be.

2. It won't be as fast turnaround as it might be for more normal betas. I can promise you a full critique by two months at the most, maybe another week or two if I find something big or if you want an especially detailed critique.

May I ask how detailed a critique you're looking for, now that I'm on the subject? (Ex: A painstaking LbL or a general summary after every chapter with a general commentary at the very end of the book.)

If you're interested, leave a comment saying yea or nay here since my PM and email are off. You won't hurt my feelings or anything if you say no, or even 'hell, no!', so. . .

Fiender
08-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd be happy to beta for you, if you'd like. But two things:

1. I'm really out of practice. I'm still good enough to catch on to plot, characterization, pacing, etc., but I'm definitely not as sharp as I used to be.

2. It won't be as fast turnaround as it might be for more normal betas. I can promise you a full critique by two months at the most, maybe another week or two if I find something big or if you want an especially detailed critique.

May I ask how detailed a critique you're looking for, now that I'm on the subject? (Ex: A painstaking LbL or a general summary after every chapter with a general commentary at the very end of the book.)

If you're interested, leave a comment saying yea or nay here since my PM and email are off. You won't hurt my feelings or anything if you say no, or even 'hell, no!', so. . .

I'd love to send you a Private message but it seems I am unable to, lol. I guess I'll have to answer you here.

I don't need an examination of every line in the manuscript, just a note her or there if you have a gripe with something like a plot hole, inconsistency, grammar/spelling that you happened to have noticed (but you don't need to read each line intently looking for spelling issues), and a maybe a general statement at the end of each chapter.

Still interested? :)

Riley
08-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I have my PMs off, but I'll turn them back on after I post this reply (I disable them periodically for personal reasons).

I'm still interested in beta-ing if you are. This definitely sounds like something I could get through in two months. I believe you can send attachments over AW, so feel free to send it via PM. From experience, PDFs usually work the best, or RTFs. Send whatever doc-type you're most comfortable with, except WPS, which my computer doesn't read.

Fiender
08-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I have my PMs off, but I'll turn them back on after I post this reply (I disable them periodically for personal reasons).

I'm still interested in beta-ing if you are. This definitely sounds like something I could get through in two months. I believe you can send attachments over AW, so feel free to send it via PM. From experience, PDFs usually work the best, or RTFs. Send whatever doc-type you're most comfortable with, except WPS, which my computer doesn't read.

Either you can't send attachments with a PM or I don't know how, lol.

Fiender
09-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Well, my last reader has dropped out so I'm going to need to bump this topic.

Please, only offer if you're sure you can finish the whole book with a detailed critique.