Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Anyone have experience with any differences in being published by a big publisher or a small publisher?

For instance, is the small publisher more personal, the big one like being invisible or insignificant?

What do people see as the cliche differences? And what have people experienced as the reality?

Thanks
Kim

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've never worked with a small publisher, but I'll give you an overview of my experience with Dell/Random House.

When you're the new fish in a large pond, it's easy to feel somewhat invisible. But I've never felt invisible to the people who matter, ie, my editor, her assistant, and now my publicist. Who cares if the person two offices down hasn't heard of my book? They aren't the ones shepherding me through the process.

Everything has been timely and professional. Requests and queries are handled the same way.

I do think a cliche exists in thinking big = insignificant, small = personal. Every house is different, every editor is different. Small houses can be just as overworked and understaffed and stressed out as a large house (or more so).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Many small presses use POD and so they have a very large author stable. So you may not get a lot of attention there either. IMHO with a small press the most important thing as that they assign you an editor you will stay with, and that they are responsive. When the 'publishing gods' aren't listening your editor is your patron saint.

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second what ChaosTitan said. I haven't been with a small press before, so I can't speak to that. I'm with Roc, and my editor handles some (quite a few, actually)absolutely HUGE names in the business. But she makes me feel like I'm every bit as important as Mr. Big Bucks Author with twenty books out.

So, it's true, size doesn't matter. ;)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, agree with ChaosTitan. My experiences at HarperCollins have been positive, and they've taken very good care of my books, promoting them in ways a smaller press would be hard-pressed to match.

I think, ultimately, you're best off with the publishing house that is going to give the most attention and exposure to your book. An extremely committed, well-run small press might outshine a larger press in that category. But even a moderate amount of support from a large press might get you in more bookstores, with better placement.

And of course, there are other things to consider -- how you mesh with your editor, that person's personal understanding of your book -- but those vary from person to person and aren't so much a question of "small press vs. large press."

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Thanks for the replies. My reason for asking is that in a month or so I'm on a panel called, "The Small Press Experience" at the Brisbane Writer's Festival here in Oz. There will be my publisher and two of his authors.

Both my books have been through small publishers so I'm interested in the experience of other people, and especially interested in how strong and widespread the stereotypes are.

Now that you know what's behind the question you might have some more wisdom for me. :)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would help more if you posed some specific questions. What specifically about our experiences with larger houses do you want to know? What experiences of yours, with a smaller press, do you want to contrast and compare?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
For me: who ever offers me a contract!

Seriously, Ian Rankin was first published by small Scottish Indie Polygon before he hit the big time. I'm quite prepared for a lot of hard graft before breaking through that glass ceiling.

HannaRay

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. I echo the above sentiments. My book sold to Random House who in turn sold it to HarperCollins UK. I'm dealing with a great caring group (happen to be all women) on both sides.
Enjoy the festival, Dr. Shifty. ~ Johanna

Status
Not open for further replies.