Ever wonder if book titles matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
The other day I was updating a spreadsheet I keep on promotional activities I’ve conducted over the past two years. Every few months or so I’ll come across a new avenue for promoting books so I collect statistics to help assess whether I wish to allocate my limited time to a particular promotion activities. After all, why do it if it doesn’t provide a significant ROI. Well, as I was reviewing the data, I observed a peculiar pattern that was unexpected and that I wasn’t even searching for, namely: of the first three novels I had been promoting, one was getting 1/3 of the views of the others at excerpt listing and video trailer sites almost consistently across the board. In other words, Book X and book Y were each getting three times the views of book Z. I looked and looked to see what was different. At first it eluded me. It wasn’t the cover art because all the viewers saw initially were the titles. It wasn't the tags because I used the same for all of them. Then it hit me. It was the damn titles themselves. I though, man that’s weird. The novel that was scoring lower on views had actually received five star reviews like the others and was even nominated at two sites for best romantic suspense of 2008. So what the heck could it be? Then it hit me. When viewers first read the titles without reading the blurb or excerpts, they were interpreting one word in a way I never envisioned, but now I understand why and I will use that lesson when I derive names for my other novels. As it turns out, that title was also the only one where I did not solicit inputs from readers on which alternative candidates they liked best. So what did I learn: Titles DO make a difference (surprise surprise), and you’re not as smart as you think so go sample them readers (g).

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a lot more edifying if you mentioned the title that got the inferior results. I can see why you wouldn't want to mention it, but just sayin'...

But yeah, I figure title is second to cover art. You can't really control cover art. Title seems like something you can be a little more persuasive about it (hey, you're the writer!).

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I can imagine just how much titles matter.

Imagine instead of Twilight it had been "The Adventures of a Sparkly Vampire!" Yeah, that would have gotten some sales.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gone With the Wind is certainly better than the original title, Tomorrow is Another Day.

Poetic_Justice

Pondering affirmation
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly agree; titles do make a difference. If I'm in a bookstore, generally I won't pick up a book that has a title that's The and one word after it. (Like The Messenger.) It's sad to say, but sometimes I do judge books by their covers >_< (And I imagine other people do too...)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad to say, but sometimes I do judge books by their covers >_< (And I imagine other people do too...)

The title is important. Something that people can remember. And the cover is important. It must attract attention and encapsulate the power and mood of the book.

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
When viewers first read the titles without reading the blurb or excerpts, they were interpreting one word in a way I never envisioned, but now I understand why and I will use that lesson when I derive names for my other novels.

There's a bit of mystery here.
How do you how the viewers were interpreting one word?
And what is the lesson?

Reaction score
Of course everyone judges books by their covers. Unless they're blind.

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would ever think that a book title doesn't matter.

Or the cover, for that matter.

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
The title is important. Something that people can remember. And the cover is important. It must attract attention and encapsulate the power and mood of the book.

My publisher recently forwarded an email from a teacher librarian who says my new book is becoming popular among the boys in her high school. She says they relate well to the title.
And the title? "They Told Me I Had To Write This."
Not hard to understand that teen boys will relate to that!

Oh yeah, it's got a killer cover.

And for you Mumut. I'll be in Brisbane Sept 12th at the CYA Later conference. I'm taking part in two sessions. You planning on attending?
http://www.cyaconference.com/

And if not, how about supporting another Aussie author at a launch?
Avid Reader Bookshop
193 Boundary St.
West End.
Frid 11th, 6 for 6:30.
Shane Thamm's new book, My Private Pectus.
http://shanethamm.com

Cheers
Kim

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm in a bookstore, generally I won't pick up a book that has a title that's The and one word after it. (Like The Messenger.)

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*rushes off to change title of WiP*

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Unless I get a personal recommendation for a book, then the sole basis on which I pick up a book to read the jacket in a bookstore is based on the title.

So, yeah, I think that titles are very important.

Reaction score
Oh, and the author's name of course. I judge by that too. If I've enjoyed their previous works, I'll always pick up a new release.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm in a bookstore, generally I won't pick up a book that has a title that's The and one word after it.

We all have different ways of choosing, though I have to say I rather enjoyed The Magus, The Information, The Corrections, The Bell, The Conservationist, The Road and The Joke.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Because the majority of books are shelved spine-out, the title is the first thing I tend to notice. Catchy, unusual titles will always strike me first. Titles need to tell me something about the story or the characters.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
My point was not "Here's a fact you've never considered" it was really just a confirmation of what we perceive intuitively. More along the likes of empirical data of what we already expect.

And in response to Doctor Shifty, you're right, I have no exact basis to confirm why they viewed two books three times as much as the other, except to observe the differences between the books. Given they did not see cover art or blurbs before they clicked the excerpt file, and every thing else was the same (Tags, etc) it was logical to me to suppose the difference was in the title (that was all they saw before they click the link), especially considering the same pattern was observed on over a dozen sites. Could it be something else, sure, I guess so, but I don't know what it would be.

Is it a cure for cancer, course not (g) and it was offered more as an interesting side note, not a mind blowing revelation. One other important point was that the lower ranking book was the only one I did not solicit opinions from potential readers before I selected my final title, rather I did it all on my own. That was my "Ah ha" moment when I said I wasn't as smart as I thought, and the lesson learned was to continue sampling reader inputs before I home in on my title.

Sorry I didn't make things more clear.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Why do titles matter?

Well, on average we experience/see ten thousand advertisements per day. Our brains have adapted an incredibly advanced reject filter. 99.99% of what we observe visually and auditorily is rejected and erased from our short term memory within 5 seconds.

All of this happens at the subconscious level and there is a 'mini-me' at the front of your brain deciding what it likes and what it doesn't. So that is why titles, advertising, cover art, presentation, MARKETING, is so important. The whole point is to get that 'mini-me' to stop, notice it, and tag it to proceed pass the reject filter to the higher consciousness for further consideration.

Mel...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
A book is a product to be sold. A prospective buyer needs to be able to predict the quality of the book before purchase. He obviously cannot read the book before buying. What is available to him?

1) Author's name
2) Title of book
3) Cover Art
4) Blurb
5) Recommendations by writers/newspapers (though I typically don't use this).

When choosing among hundreds of books, a prospective buyer is first going to see the covers and titles of the books. Then he may proceed to the blurb. If interested in that too, he may choose to buy the book.

Of course, the above is just a typical framework.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It matters a great deal, according to marketing departments. If you're really worried, have you had a play with the Lulu titlescorer?

Hours of pointless fun, and instant depression for those of us who've obviously chosen the wrong titles to be bestsellers... :(

I'd love to know the principles it operates on - but I'm not posting my own score till someone else admits to scoring even lower.

Louise

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
you just have to be a buyer of books to know that titles matter. i have, on occasion, bought books because of the great title. i ALWAYS judge a book by its cover. i don't always take it home with me if i love the title/cover art. i read the blurb to find out if it entices...and, of course, i do the PAGE 40 test.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'll buy it. What's the page 40 test?

If it means anything other than 'sort of dullish, introduces new character and only one new plot twist' I'm kind of stuffed...

Louise

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OK, I'll buy it. What's the page 40 test?

If it means anything other than 'sort of dullish, introduces new character and only one new plot twist' I'm kind of stuffed...

Louise

Hey Louise. I simply turn to page 40 and read the entire page. I can't even remember where I heard of this...but I've been doing it for a good 20 years or so. If you can get into it on the 40th page, it's usually a good indication that you will enjoy the book. For me, it works.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
bad word...

Bugger.

Er, I mean 'thank you, Kevin, that's very informative.'

* Flees thread, sobbing*

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Bugger.

Er, I mean 'thank you, Kevin, that's very informative.'

* Flees thread, sobbing*

sorry. i guess i could have made it something magical...but my imagination isn't working well today.

Status
Not open for further replies.