Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton Hill

Not new, not old, just me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CliftonH.com
Just a random thought I felt I should share that may (or may not) help make donations more appealing to keep this glorious site alive. Turn them into advertisements! I think most of us aspiring (or full-fledged) writers want exposure to help further our pursuits.

Using this line of thought: what if when a member donates, there be a scrolling box towards the top of the page near the paid adverts that shows their name. If they donate enough, they get a link to...somewhere (perhaps of their choice), and the amount of money they contribute can be proportional to how long their name shows up in the scrolling contributor box and maybe even how often.

I know that would make donating even more tempting to me. Anybody else have some thoughts on it?

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Not a big fan of advertising in general BUT I think brainstorming ways to drum up donations is a worthy idea.

Me, I gave after I'd been coming here a few weeks because by then I'd extracted more value from the site than the combined cost of all the books on writing that I'd purchased by then at B&N. I'll probably repeat the process later in the year.

It's helpful to me to think in terms of value, meaning, what would I have paid for the advice I got here, had it come from other sources--either from a book or the value of my own time after bashing my head endlessly against the wall from rejections that could have been avoided. How do you put a price tag on that? Difficult, but it would be nice for someone to give it a shot.

I'd like to see the donations info at the top of the main page instead of way at the bottom where I rarely scroll.

Clifton Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CliftonH.com
I agree that the site is worthy of donating to as is for all the great information gained, but times can be tough for some people (now or at any time), and they may need a little extra incentive.

You're right about the donate button, it should probably be tastefully located at the top.

Last edited:

Clifton Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CliftonH.com
LOL. I think you will now see your name scrolling at the top, unless you pay up.

Just to clarify though, when I said a scrolling box I was thinking something small on one side of the top not taking up an entire horizontal line or two (if anybody thought that - one of those would be too big and look like a news announcement line from TV).

Deleted member 42

People who donate get the special "Benefactor Member" features (larger mailbox for private messages, custom title and avatar, etc.).

The button was at the top until a few days ago.

Reaction score
I'm Scottish. I'm used to living in a toilet.

Wait. I probably wouldn't have said that if I were sober.

Forget I ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.