What makes a good blurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having to produce some page-long outlines for my agent - basically, page-long synopses without giving away the endings. In other words, blurbs. Outlines like you find on Amazon.

Heh.

I can write a 65k novel no prob (okay, I exaggerate, not exactly 'no prob'). But ask me to write an outline? Pah!

Has anyone got any advice or examples of some great blurbs / outlines that have made you go 'wow, I wanna read that'. Maybe you have your own on your blogs / websites that did the job of helping your agent sell to publishers?

Help mucho appreciated and a big glass of virtual Pimms for those who help (we're having a heatwave in the UK right now, hence the Pimms reference. A heatwave here last a day. People have gone bananas, scrambling to buy sausages for BBQ and walking around in bikinis, ha ha!)

john barnes on toast

Registered
Reaction score
A good query can often read like a blurb.

Examples of good queries might be easier to track down than good blurbs themselves. Have a look on SYW forum, for examples of how to do, and how not to do.

And yes, I agree, blurbs and synopsis are harder to write than the actual books.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I got my agent with my query letter and I guess it had a decent hook / 1 par description it's just the rest that's stumping me but love the idea of checking queries so will do that, thanks!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm amazed you didn't have one minute explanations for book signings, two paragraph descriptions for queries, page synopsis for serious applications - prepared immediately you'd finished the story. This is the really hard part. You have to include most of the excitement without giving away the ending. You need to end with, 'Can MC get the jewel from the Squazitrons and live to return to Earth?' or whatever the genre is.

I'd suggest you read the blurb of a few books you've read recently.

When you are book signing, your persuasion, humour, personality will help get the sale. All this has to be done with a short, impersonal blurb. Best of luck with it.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Study the blurbs of some of your favorite books. Observe how much of the actual story is touched upon in the blurb and how much is left unmentioned.

You want to tantalize the reader without giving away too much, so a good rule of thumb is only talk about the first 50-80 pages of the novel. Don't go past the first act. Give them the hook, but not the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.