Mid book slump.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Godamnitsomuch.

I'm at the middle of my novel. This is the first one that I've ever decided to actually submit for query, and I'm stuck.

Do I not know the plot? No, I do.
Is it boring? No, its not boring.

Whats the problem?

I'm starting to worry if I can do the story justice. I have all these grand ideas about what happens in this world, and the incredible character arcs, and the intricate details, and the how well all the research I did will show up.

Problem is. I don't think any of it is. I suppose I'm at the point where I'm worried that I'm going to finish it, and its going to be rubbish and not at all what I meant.

FML.

Someone cheer me up :(

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:D*kicks* Lucid.... Cheer ya up much?:D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
This would probably be better in one of the writing forums simply for this reason: This is OP. Chances are we're just going to take the piss out of you here and recommend baboon face-tearing therapy, or a turnip in a REALLY uncomfortable place--and I don't mean your inlaws' house.

But seriously, what you're feeling is pretty normal for mid-book. Pull back and stop looking at the bigger picture for a bit; that can be intimidating. Just write the next small chunk, then the next, then the next. If it's a bit flat or not as detailed research-wise as you'd like, don't fret. That's what editing and second drafts are for. Right now just get the words down...

...before the baboons eat your face.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
This would probably be better in one of the writing forums simply for this reason: This is OP. Chances are we're just going to take the piss out of you here and recommend baboon face-tearing therapy, or a turnip in a REALLY uncomfortable place--and I don't mean your inlaws' house.

But seriously, what you're feeling is pretty normal for mid-book. Pull back and stop looking at the bigger picture for a bit; that can be intimidating. Just write the next small chunk, then the next, then the next. If it's a bit flat or not as detailed research-wise as you'd like, don't fret. That's what editing and second drafts are for. Right now just get the words down...

...before the baboons eat your face.

This is solidly in the right place. I enjoy snark, and having people take the piss out of me. Thats what cheers me up :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
This is solidly in the right place. I enjoy snark, and having people take the piss out of me. Thats what cheers me up :)

Ok, looser, get your fingers out of that baboon's butt and get them back on the keyboard.

Pansy. Sheesh. Man tears make me feel all icky.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Godamnitsomuch.

I'm at the middle of my novel. This is the first one that I've ever decided to actually submit for query, and I'm stuck.

Do I not know the plot? No, I do.
Is it boring? No, its not boring.

Whats the problem?

I'm starting to worry if I can do the story justice. I have all these grand ideas about what happens in this world, and the incredible character arcs, and the intricate details, and the how well all the research I did will show up.

Problem is. I don't think any of it is. I suppose I'm at the point where I'm worried that I'm going to finish it, and its going to be rubbish and not at all what I meant.

FML.

Someone cheer me up :(

Stop looking at the whole and focus on the scene you're on right now. Make every scene work and the whole can't help but work too.

It's natural to get doubts in the middle of the book--but the only way I've found through them is to focus just on a small bit, the bit I'm working on right now, and suddenly the job seems like something I can totally do.

Good luck to you.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, looser, get your fingers out of that baboon's butt and get them back on the keyboard.

Pansy. Sheesh. Man tears make me feel all icky.

If I wasn't shedding copious amounts of tears, what would I wank off with?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I still think kicking you works better.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
As long as you finish it, who cares? You can always polish the turd later.

Happy now? :)

Well, as Jeff Dunham's Peanut says, "Polish a turd, it's still a turd!"

ahem...

but seriously....

Just tell the inner critic to shut up. That's what revisions are for - to fix what just don't work.

I hate the middle of the book - (altho the one I'm working on has no beginning at the moment. Yes, I started it in the middle, damn it, and I don't care!). Just write the story you want to tell. Or write the story as it tells itself...

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
*Manly cuddle with much back slapping.*

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score

I always write fully nude. I can only do it when my wife isn't home though, because the sight of my bloated, pasty, corpse like figure causes her to excrete fluids through 3 different orifices at the same time. ( i leave it to you to guess the orifices)