Question about Media Rate at the Post Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinders23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreamersperch.blogspot.com
Yesterday I mailed out a manuscript at the Post Office and asked for the media rate. The lady behind the desk told me that the media rate could only be used for bound books. At the time, I didn't question and just sent it out regular rate, but when I got home I got the feeling this isn't right. I looked on the USPO website and it says nothing about it having to be bound. This is the first time I ever requested media rate, so I'm just wondering for the next time.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't know for sure about bound vs. unbound, but media rate can take weeks to arrive at a destination. It's cheaper, sure, but sending Priority gets it there much, much faster.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Media rate is not just for bound books. It's for any media: CDs, DVDs, books, and, I presume (have not confirmed), manuscripts. Not, however, for manuscripts with a cover letter. Letters change the whole thing, according to the post office, though don't ask me how they'll know if you have a letter in there.

In my experience, media mail does take longer, but not the weeks the post office notes. If an agent's asking for a full, however, I'd go with priority.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
New regulations require the post office to open every X number of media rate packages to make sure there isn't a letter or something else in there.

You can't even put a BOOKMARK in with a book if you use media rate.

Susan G.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
I have been specifically told at my post office that manuscripts don't qualify because they are not permanently bound.

Media mail is great at the holidays, though---I get all my nieces and nephews books and it's super cheap to send them. I recently got my niece a Breyer horse to go with a horse book, so I couldn't use media mail for her birthday present. The cost was over a third what I'd payed for the book and horse! So media mail works well for some things.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
If you want to be certain a book is getting somewhere, send it regular mail. I've heard horror stories about how the packages arrive and when.

I used to send my books to contest winners and such by media, but no more. It costs more, but I can calculate postage and print a mailing label right online without a trip to the post office.

Status
Not open for further replies.