I am MORTIFIED.

Morgan A.

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

During the course of a query-letter-critique, it was brought to my attention that the name of one of the main characters ("Hummer") in my children's book has a connotation I didn't know about. If you don't know either, check the "Urban Dictionary" website. *You may now laugh at me*

I have consequently changed the character's name to something having nothing to do with oral sex. The problem is that I've already sent out four or five query letters and MS samples to agents. I can just see the horrified looks on my now-never-to-be-agents' faces: *"Perv!" they shriek and immediately throw my letter and MS into the shredder* Do you think it would be bad form to email them and inform them of the fiasco, and to ask if I could resubmit a corrected query and manuscript sample? I haven't heard back from them yet, and don't want to get on their bad side, but I also don't want to let the MS stand as it is.... Does anyone have any advice? I have no idea of what to do...

What I have learned: always consult the Urban Dictionary before naming characters.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Good heavens. Urban Dictionary has now disabused me of my ignorance. :D

I read your query letter not long ago, and obviously I didn't then raise an eyebrow...
Perhaps the agents you sent it to wont even think of it. Or maybe they'll just reply with "Great story. Change the house's name and I'm all over it" or similar.

(Although, I do love the image of a tweedy agent throwing your ma across her office and shrieking "Filth! Filth!")

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
But I wouldn't bother with sending a chaser letter. Either they notice or they don't.
If they don't, you can change the name once they're in lurve with your book and have signed you.
And if they do notice, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt (except, perhaps, the aforementioned tweedy agent; she's having a cup of tea and a lie down after the shock)

Danthia

I wouldn't worry. They can change the name, and if the story is good, that'll show in the query. Worst case, someone will take offense and reject due to that, but that's not someone you really wanted to work with anyway, right? Too touchy -grin-. Best case, someone will get a huge laugh and you'll have a great bonding story to tell about how you met your agent.

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Most probably won't even notice it. If they do, and your story is good enough, they will just get you to change it.

And yes, it would be a great story to tell about you and your agent's first exchange.

Just laugh it off.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
lolol.

You didn't change his name to BJ, did you?

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I had a publisher who used to be really touchy and sensitive and I'd turn things around on him. If I snuck a sexual innuendo in (it was appropriate in the publication and the OTHER publisher approved) I'd turn it around on him and say, "OMG, I didn't even THINK of that!!! You're making me blush!" I'd fall just short of call him a dirty old man. ;)

Of course, that's office politics and really not a good way to deal with an agent, but it's funny to think about. :)

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's okay. The word 'muggle' had something to do with drugs before JKR came along, and no one made her change it. Not quite the same, I know...

Reaction score
Oh. Right.

Well, clearly I have a dirtier mind than you, ChaosTitan...

*cough*

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Most probably won't even notice it. If they do, and your story is good enough, they will just get you to change it.

And yes, it would be a great story to tell about you and your agent's first exchange.

Just laugh it off.
What s/he said. :)

lolol.

You didn't change his name to BJ, did you?
Oh lord. I was telling my DH about this last night and that was his suggestion. :e2hammer:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Things like this happen more often than you think. Depending on the age of the kid, they're more straightforward than their adult counterparts, and if they hear something with innuendo attached to it, their minds go to the "literal" meaning. (now, if the kid is older than 5 or 6, maybe 7, that isn't so much the case) And if you focus on things from the kids' POV, you can end up with all kinds of "interesting" titles from an adult POV.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I've never heard of that word. I wonder why that particular meaning isn't mentioned in dictonary.com but is mentioned in the urban dictionary?

And I also advise you not to send follow ups on this issue.

;)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
again...I agree - my publisher had me change a character's name for other reasons- no one is going to reject it just because of a character's name...there are so many other GOOD reasons to reject work lol!!!
don't obsess and just change it - or not - but I agree - DO NOT send a followup explaining anything...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Morgan, I saw your letter in QLH. I'm aware of the double-meaning, but I didn't blink an eye when I saw your character's name. People still use the word "hum" to describe singing. "Hummer" makes sense. I don't think the other term is so prevalent it's taken over its original meaning.

You're fine. No need to be mortified, and like others have said, no one will reject you because of that. If it needs to change later, it needs to change. No big deal.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
On the other hand, we had Leave it to Beaver... and on Growing Pains, Mike Seaver's best friend was named Boner (I didn't get it at that age, either).
I'm as corrupt as the next person, but isn't the term Hummer a little obscure as sex slang? I mean, it's also a car!
Funny topic :)

Morgan A.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!!! I'm not going to send chaser letters - I'll keep my neurotic obsessing to a minimum ;-)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Since its a children's book. I doubt if it would be a problem.

But i'm the furthest thing away from a children's book expert. So take my comments for what they are worth.

Incidentally, you've given me a great idea for a short story. The fun we can have with names...

Mel...

jjacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmjacobs.com
A song called "Hummer Girls" came out a few years ago as a parody of the song "Summer Girls" by LFO. The term is pretty prevalent in my generation.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, if Children's Programming can get away with a dinosaur named BJ, I'm sure you can get away with Hummer.