• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

A question about this section of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Am I supposed to request a mentor with whom I should refer my questions about writing to or is it ok for me to post the occasional question here for anyone to respond to?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna, one of the reasons Jenna instigated this board was so members could post requests for mentors without clogging other areas of the forums.

However, if you want to post specific questions for anyone to answer, that is perfectly fine. The people who do frequent this forum are always extremely helpful and usually come with quick replies. The Cooler is designed so that, if you have a question on a specific area, your post can be made there. For example, the Tech Help is a new board for computer and other software questions. There are "Ask the Editor" and "Ask the Agent" forums if you want advice from a pro. The FAQ section also is a place for questions, and you can use the genre sub-forums or the Novels, Poetry, or Screenwriting boards if your question is appropriate for those.

I bring up these other forums, not because I don't want you to ask here, but so you can decide which is the best place for your question so you can get the best answer. If you feel Mentoring is the proper place, by all means - ask away! We are certainly not against it. :)

Good luck!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Thank You katiemac! :)

I feel like an odd ball or some sort of misfit but NOT because anyone here has given me cause to. The reason I feel this way is related to not knowing where my writing fits.

Mostly I write about subconscious symbolism and I don't know what that would be considered. Maybe science fiction? :Shrug: I don't know.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I feel this way is related to not knowing where my writing fits.

Ha! Tell me about it. Currently thinking the same exact thing about my ms. I'm almost thankful I'm not in the subbing stage yet because I wouldn't know who to sub to! :)

If you don't need genre specifics, then you probably won't need to post under those boards. Novels and even Short Stories are good for answering almost any theoretical writing question, even subbing information, because a lot of great authors and aspiring writers frequent those boards. They talk about word count a lot, writing style, how you started writing, your methods, etc - all things which don't necessarily relate specifically to novels or fiction, but to writing in general.

But again, feel absolutely free to post here if you wish, and we'll work it out best we can. Being the moderator of this particular forum, I can even swap the post into another board if it would get a better answer somewhere else. Of course, I'd let you know before I did something like that. :)

Mostly I write about subconscious symbolism and I don't know what that would be considered.

Well, let's see how we can work it. Sounds like "subconscious symbolism" is more your THEME, rather than your genre. Your genre would be easier to determine based on the story and plotline, and what happens to the characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.